Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boomers: how are your musical faves holding up?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boomers: how are your musical faves holding up?

This from the local paper last weekend:

<<Remember when Rolling Stone said "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" was the best album of all time, so you ordered it for a penny from the Columbia House Music Club and listened to it 1,328 times before realizing that it was actually the worst album of all time and Rolling Stone was never to be trusted again? As painful as it might be to expose your ears once again to simpering pop songs such as "Lovely Rita" and "When I'm Sixty-Four," the awkwardly named New York reggae collective Easy Star All-Stars.....>>

(for rest of review of that record, go here: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 006&sc=497)

Like many (most?) of a certain age, I indeed thought Dr. Pep was the be-all, end-all. A dozen or so years ago, I did a flip-flop and quit listening to it. In the last year or so, however, it has crept back into my consciousness, and while I no longer think it's the greatest, it's a marvellous piece of work well worth listening to.

Around the same time another of my faves, The Moody Blues, also fell out of disfavor, but they too are enjoying a recent comeback in the gh repertoire.

The early Beatles I never lost, nor the Stones or the Doors, or Hendrix.

If you're from that era, is there anything that was indispensible to you that you find yourself asking, "What was I thinking?!"? (you know, like Sugar, Sugar by the Archies :-) )

Funny you should ask. A friend has loaned me every Beatle Capitol album released in the U.S. The albums are in great shape so i borrowed a thing called a record player, put a new needle on it and began recording them on to C/D's. I started with Meet the Beatles and so on. I just finished Revolver, which was great and up next is...drum roll...Sgt. Pepper. Day in the Life is worth the listen on its own. I, unlike anybody i know, prefer Magical Mystery tour.
    phsstt!

Comment

I'm embarrassed by some of the disco that I used to like.

Especially in the instrumental dance tunes. ops:
      The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Quite a coincidence here. I use to play the lp of Days of Future Passed, often but forgot about it for about 30 years and just bought the cd a month ago. And I think it has held up pretty well.

I also just got the cd of the Jeff Beck;s 1968 Truth which is even better than I remembered.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
          Quite a coincidence here. I use to play the lp of Days of Future Passed, often but forgot about it for about 30 years and just bought the cd a month ago. And I think it has held up pretty well.

I also just got the cd of the Jeff Beck;s 1968 Truth which is even better than I remembered.
          I bought the remastered version a couple of years ago and it not only sounds great but the songs hold up. Anit Superstious freakin kills.

Last weekend i picked up Led Zepplins first album, remastered by Page from the source tapes and holy cow does it hold up. Doesnt sound dated at all. A masterpiece. Pages guitar tone is insane, especially on You Shook Me.

I guess the only Band i liked that doesnt hold up is The Monkeys. ops:
          phsstt!

Comment

The Turtles don't exactly knock me out anymore either.

Comment

Yes, this is still superb. I still play Cream's Wheels of Fire & Disraeli Gears; Yardbirds; Animals; and sometimes the (early) Stones. Others from that era that I now don't care at all about include the Doors; Led Zep; etc. Of course, on the jazz side tons from this period still sounds great, beginning with pre-Bitches Brew Miles Davis, etc.

By the way, my college roommate LOVED the Moody Blues. I hated 'em then, and hate 'em now--pretentious twaddle.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                The very first "real" band I ever saw--at Expo '67!!

Comment

I think the reason most of the baby boomer music still sounds great is that our generation produced an explosion of new, exciting and brillant music that is unmatched by any other generation of the last 50 years or so.

Bubble gum? Dont recall any. 8-) :arrow: :P
                  phsstt!

Comment

Are boomers responsible for Disco? I dont know one guy my age who liked it. I kinda felt it was the next generation who liked it but who were they? Also i knew some older people who like disco.
                    phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                      Yes, this is still superb. I still play Cream's Wheels of Fire & Disraeli Gears; Yardbirds; Animals; and sometimes the (early) Stones. Others from that era that I now don't care at all about include the Doors; Led Zep; etc. Of course, on the jazz side tons from this period still sounds great, beginning with pre-Bitches Brew Miles Davis, etc.

By the way, my college roommate LOVED the Moody Blues. I hated 'em then, and hate 'em now--pretentious twaddle.
                      Come now, The Moody Blues weren't that bad. But I have to admit pretentious is an apt description.

Comment

[quote=Conor Dary]
                        Originally posted by "Conor Dary":2mtmfb78

Come now, The Moody Blues weren't that bad. But I have to admit pretentious is an apt description.[/quote:2mtmfb78]

Hey, that's just my reaction. Could very well have been as much about my feelings toward the roommate as to the Bluedy Moos.

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                          Are boomers responsible for Disco? I dont know one guy my age who liked it. I kinda felt it was the next generation who liked it but who were they? Also i knew some older people who like disco.
                          I think the only reason older people liked disco was because it brought back touch dancing.

Comment

Originally posted by dj
                            Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                            I think the only reason older people liked disco was because it brought back touch dancing.
                            Exactly right! I remember my old coach in high school saying he liked Disco.

I prefered touching the opposite sex when no one else was around, not under a glitter ball with bad music playing. 8-)
                            phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                              The very first "real" band I ever saw--at Expo '67!!
                              The only thing I remember about Expo '67 (other than the track meet that was held in conjunction with it) was the bloody mary they served at the Danish pavilion. Best I've ever had, before or since.

Comment

Working...
                              X