Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida Cutting # of HS Competitions

Headline on the front page.

Only football and cheerleading escape the hatchet. Seems like this would disproportionately impact girl's/women's sports without football being impacted. If people complain then additional cuts (with history as our guide) would come from boy's/men's sports other than football.

Some reader comments at the end of the article are interesting.

Track goes from 13 to 11? Does that include post season?

In TX, most schools only have 6 meets before District, Regionals, and State.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter Brown
      Track goes from 13 to 11? Does that include post season?
      No, and it's a non-issue here, since we only have SIX usable weeks of a regular season. My vaulters are the only ones who come close to the max, because I send them to additional meets in the week. Most of the team competes once a week.

Comment

I'm not really worried about the immediate impact, which would seem minimal. I'm worried about how alphabet soup types would react if/when faced with a male v female equality issue.

Comment

Originally posted by bhall
          I'm not really worried about the immediate impact, which would seem minimal. I'm worried about how alphabet soup types would react if/when faced with a male v female equality issue.
          I doubt that's in play here. Football is King, and is therefore exempt from all regulating. Other than that, we're in a very good male vs. female equity situation.

Comment

There is this funny thing called the law that jumps up and bites people just when they think they're "exempt from all regulating."

Comment

There is this funny thing called the law that jumps up and bites people just when they think they're "exempt from all regulating."
              The Fla legislature and the FHSAA are in each other's pocket, so to speak.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                and the Feds don't give a rat's butt about that

if (and it IS a certainty) any federal money goes to Fla HS's, guess what?

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                  Ignorance is bliss and we specialize in that down here - in both senses of the word.

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                    Ignorance is bliss and we specialize in that down here - in both senses of the word.
                    Well spoken from the land of the hanging chad.

Comment

Working...
                    X