Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bhall
    replied
    There are a lot of excellent restaurants in Atlanta. Seeger's remains a legend but Staplehouse moved to the top of my list when it opened - http://www.atlantamagazine.com/revie...-a-plane-trip/

It is also part of one of the best charity stories in the city, The Giving Kitchen - https://thegivingkitchen.org/our-story/.

Another excellent piece by John Kessler, who wrote the Seeger's NYC story for South Food Ways, on the journey to Staplehouse - http://www.myajc.com/news/savoring-t...AGYa8U0Ap0iFK/
    Last edited by bhall; 09-01-2017, 01:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
    When my daughter made her (victorious) initial appearance before the US Supreme Court about ten years ago, I took her entire entourage to Ruths Chris in DC to celebrate.
    I expect to have that credit card paid off any month now.
    If that was a tweet, I would like it, lonewolf

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    When my daughter made her (victorious) initial appearance before the US Supreme Court about ten years ago, I took her entire entourage to Ruths Chris in DC to celebrate.
    I expect to have that credit card paid off any year now.
    Last edited by lonewolf; 09-01-2017, 04:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    sigh

Leave a comment:

• BillVol
    replied
    http://www.southernfoodways.org/desp...eeking-seeger/

Former AJC food critic revisits Chef Seeger in NYC.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    Can't speak to the new Seeger's, but using his Atlanta joint as the comparison point, it's the same step up from Ruth's Chris to Seeger's as it would be from McDonald's to Ruth's Chris.
    But if you're not a committed foodie, Seeger's might well be disappointing.
    Yikes!
    Yeah, I'm sure the difference would be lost on me. Oh well, at least I save a lot of money by reacting to cheap food the way a gourmet responds to 4-star meals. Since taste is all in the perception, I'm actually thankful I ain't got none, cuz a good steak at RCSH is ecstasy to me.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Can't speak to the new Seeger's, but using his Atlanta joint as the comparison point, it's the same step up from Ruth's Chris to Seeger's as it would be from McDonald's to Ruth's Chris.

But if you're not a committed foodie, Seeger's might well be disappointing.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman View Post
    Mrs. tandfman and I got to check it out last month and I'm delighted to report back. In a word--fabulous. Great meal, every bit as good as I remember his place in Atlanta, and maybe better.
    Just curious. My only point of reference is Ruth's Chris Steak House. which I love, but seein' as how I ain't got no taste for fine food (seriously!), how would it compare?

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Like gh and BillVol, I was sorry to see that Seeger's closed. It was my favorite place in Atlanta, too. I was delighted to see, in this morning's NY Times, that Seeger has now opened a restaurant in Manhattan. Mrs. tandfman and I will check it out when we have the chance, and we'll report back.
    Mrs. tandfman and I got to check it out last month and I'm delighted to report back. In a word--fabulous. Great meal, every bit as good as I remember his place in Atlanta, and maybe better.

Leave a comment:

• BillVol
    replied
    Like gh and BillVol, I was sorry to see that Seeger's closed. It was my favorite place in Atlanta, too. I was delighted to see, in this morning's NY Times, that Seeger has now opened a restaurant in Manhattan. Mrs. tandfman and I will check it out when we have the chance, and we'll report back.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/21/di...ny-review.html
    Great to hear. Fine dining is a tough business these days. Hope this one sticks.

It's wild going back to these old threads. This one is from 7 years ago. Wow.

I guess a lot has changed since then in the business. Bacchanalia is still there.

How about some of the dives?

Just read the review: Two stars out of four. I guess they have a different rating system.

Under the comments, "Albert" is not too impressed.

I tweeted the article to John Kessler, former food critic of the AJC now living in Chicago. I call him the gh of food writing. A compliment. I think their styles are similar.

Here's a piece he did on Southern food in Chicago.

http://www.southernfoodways.org/pime...form=hootsuite
    Last edited by BillVol; 09-21-2016, 07:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    This Bay Area dude thinks Atlanta has a fabulous restaurant scene. Favorite is one cited in that article, Seeger's.ps: color me dull.... since I was last in Atlanta Seeger's has closed. dang.
    Originally posted by BillVol View Post
    It is very sad that Seeger's has closed. That's one of the top places I never got to try, but obviously it was outstanding.

http://atlanta.creativeloafing.com/gyro ... oid=114452

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/21/di...ny-review.html

Leave a comment:

• BillVol
    replied
    Not much great dining downtown (other than the Varsity!). g is right: you have to get into Midtown and toward Buckhead.

One of my favorites in town is by the airport -- Spondivits. Draws a great, diverse crowd in a Key West atmosphere. There is no telling who you will meet here. This is not fine dining but it is a great place.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by bad hammy
    Originally posted by tandfman
    You probably weren't in the right parts of Atlanta. At any rate, I've spent more than a day in all of those places other than Nashville, and I can tell you that for dining, I'd rank Atlanta right up there with New Orleans.
    I wasn't talking about dining options specifically - just about whether is was a pleasant place to spend a few days. I was in Atlanta for a conference and the hotel was downtown.
    There you have it: "right parts of Atlanta" and "downtown" don't jibe when it comes to the better Atlanta dining. Indeed, you can drive a lot of miles in the ATL (most of it on streets that have the name "Peach" in them!) to hop from one spot to another.

That's one thing that gives New Orleans the image of being a much better restaurant town than it is (and it is indeed one of the best in the country): if you're in the Quarter, you can walk to almost all of them in a few minutes. Other than Commander's Palace out in the Garden District.

Leave a comment:

• TrackDaddy
    replied
    I enjoyed my visit to ATL.

Saw Duke play Ga Tech, went to the worlds largest? aquarium, ate at Gladys Knight and Ron Winans Chicken and Waffles restaurant, went to the MLK Memorial and Museum, etc...

Great time.

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman
    You probably weren't in the right parts of Atlanta. At any rate, I've spent more than a day in all of those places other than Nashville, and I can tell you that for dining, I'd rank Atlanta right up there with New Orleans.
    I wasn't talking about dining options specifically - just about whether is was a pleasant place to spend a few days. I was in Atlanta for a conference and the hotel was downtown.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X