Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
    I wonder, how much religious zealotry went into that government's fiat.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

I was listening to conservative talk radio and some are blaming this 'epidemic' on illegal immigration.

I wonder how much truth there is to that?

In Texas its close to full panic mode for a lot of people.
      The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
        Originally posted by jazzcyclist
        I wonder, how much religious zealotry went into that government's fiat.
        Mubarak is a joke. The billions we've spent propping up this dictator are a complete waste.

Comment

140 suspected cases in Comal County, TX just north of San Antonio.

Entire school system, day cares, gov't offices, etc are shut down.
          http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...0flucomal.html

Comment

Anybody remember the 1976 Swine Flu scare? I didn't until I read this in my paper this morning:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 01&sc=1000

Comment

I was deeply involved with a few cases of the Guillain-Barrè syndrome that was alleged to be a result of the swine flu vaccination. A long, fascinating story .
              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by TrackDaddy
                I was listening to conservative talk radio and some are blaming this 'epidemic' on illegal immigration.

Well TrackDaddy, Michael Savage thinks there's a lot of truth to it.

Article Excerpt (link follows):

“No contact anywhere with an illegal alien!” conservative talk show host Michael Savage advised his U.S. listeners this week on how to avoid the swine flu. “And that starts in the restaurants" where he said, you “don’t know if they wipe their behinds with their hands!”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30467300/

Comment

“No contact anywhere with an illegal alien!” conservative talk show host Michael Savage advised his U.S. listeners this week on how to avoid the swine flu. “And that starts in the restaurants" where he said, you “don’t know if they wipe their behinds with their hands!”

Michael Savage makes Rush Limbaugh look moderate.

Comment

The server in my local grease spoon (almost certainly an illegal) is (to me) a lot more personable than Michael Savage.
                    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Savage is aptly named. Are people in your areas as hysterical as they are in mine?

I live on the California coast in a very wealthy, highly educated tourist town. Two cruise ships have been diverted from trips to Mexico to stops here this weekend and some locals are going nuts about it. They seem to believe that the since the ships have been to Mexico in the recent past that they will transmit Swin Flu to the general population by being anchored several hundred yards off shore. Of course hundreds of passengers will come ashore, but they are coming from San Francisco and LA. Every weekend thousands of tourists drive to town from these same places, and every week day many thousands more commute to town from areas where flu cases have been reported (and yeah, a lot work as food servers and health care providers), but people are calling for the whole city council to be recalled over the imagined threat of the cruise ship passengers! People seem to want outsiders to be "tested" before crossing the city limits!!!! I thnk I am living in some cheesy Stephen King novel.

Comment

The GNAC just cancelled their conference championships:

http://www.gnacsports.com/

GNAC Cancels Track & Field Championship Meet
                        The Great Northwest Athletic Conference has cancelled this weekend's conference track and field championship meet in Monmouth, Ore., GNAC Commissioner Richard Hannan announced Thursday night.

The cancellation is due to a probable single case of H1NI virus (swine flu) on the Western Oregon University campus. The meet will not be rescheduled.

Maybe they think he sneezed on the track... :roll:

Comment

Some very good (if you can tolerate gallows humor) swine flu e-mails going around. Being an inveterate punner, this has to be my favorite:

It was once said that a black man would be president when pigs fly.....

Sure enough, 100 days into Obama's presidency - the swine flu!

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            Anybody remember the 1976 Swine Flu scare?
                            Uh-huh. Fort Dix...a couple of soldiers caught it and one died. Things kinda went a little nuts after that.

cman

Comment

Originally posted by jhc68
                              Are people in your areas as hysterical as they are in mine?
                              Yes.

I live in Texas in the DFW area.

We all know about the entire state cancelling sports until May 11th. I won't get into the impact of that but as large as Texas is, you can imagine.

An example of the 'hysteria':

Fort Worth has closed ALL schools. There are 750,000 people in Fort Worth and the impact of that decision at this time of year has been huge. Since the kids are all out of school, many aren't being supervised since parents still must work.

Also, the city council has cancelled all public events, fesitivals, etc. And the county has followed suit. There are many high profile well attended events in the area this time of year such as Mayfest, Cinco DeMayo, etc. So there's a definite economic impact.

People are looking at each other crazy and I've even seen people wearing masks about.

And with talk radio driving up fear, the hispanic community has been a target of the ridicule and suspicion.

Comment

Yeah, and talk radio is now compounded by the radio host websites with links to nut-case blogs and posting boards that feed paranoia.
                                I just read one saying that either, 1) the flu is not as bad as the actions of government agencies would indicate, so that means this is all a ruse to allow a declaration of martial law or 2) conversely, if the actions of the government are merited, then the flu must be way worse than we have been led to believe. Either way, the world as we know it is coming to an end depending on which imaginary scenario the reader wants to embrace. No alternative interpretations exist, of course.

Comment

Working...
                                X