• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• donley2
    replied
    Texas now has the most Swine flu cases.

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/update.htm

My county (Tarrant also one of the county leaders) within Texas.

http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/news/updates.shtm

Leave a comment:

• Dietmar239
    replied
    At least 2,600 cases out there right now.

http://www.reuters.com/article/latestCr ... SN11275641

Leave a comment:

• donley2
    replied
    Originally posted by Pego
    The worst case scenario http://tinyurl.com/ca9fgt

May require registration, so in brief, 1700 cases in the entire USA in a 4week period.
    We blew right past that number. Although I would say if the final number is below 5000 that an estimate of 1700 is pretty darn good for a computer model. Be interesting to look at the state by state predictions and compare. Almost all the kids in Texas either back in school or going back today.

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    Originally posted by Daisy
    Any time a new strain comes out there are a lot of unknowns.
    This is a key phrase. As this is a previously unknown strain, everybody was scared shitless of another 1918. In a few weeks, when the virulency turned out to be a lot less severe than feared, the fearmongering declined. Oh yes, not having the vaccine for at least a few months under the best scenario did not help with the fear. I believe, the fear of the world epidemiologists was genuine.

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied
    I agree with Paul. Any time a new strain comes out there are a lot of unknowns. The upside is that this time it turns out to be no big deal. Easy to say in retrospect. I think it might have been fool hardy to say "no worries" too soon.

Leave a comment:

• paulthefan
    replied
    Originally posted by guru
    Originally posted by tandfman
    The USOC's latest release on this (now on front page--scoll down a bit) includes an interesting statement.

Every year, 36,000 Americans die from seasonal flu. To date, this current outbreak does not appear to be spreading at the rate of seasonal flu.
    Their point is a good one. If we don't shut down schools and cancel sports events during the winter flu season every year, why are we doing it now, for a strain of flu that seems less virulent and much less widespread than what we deal with routinely.
    I've been saying that exact thing since day one.
    almost a good point. The reason is probably liability. If a few kids catch this flu and die after such an event there will be CNN/FOX/MSNBC sized hand wringing. Insinuation will be made that precautions were not taken. In the case of the cyclical flu season that would not be the case. Also, let's be accurate while 36k americans die of the flu, 36k students do not. The flu generally culls the most vulnerable and often the aged.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    So you have.

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    The USOC's latest release on this (now on front page--scoll down a bit) includes an interesting statement.

Every year, 36,000 Americans die from seasonal flu. To date, this current outbreak does not appear to be spreading at the rate of seasonal flu.
    Their point is a good one. If we don't shut down schools and cancel sports events during the winter flu season every year, why are we doing it now, for a strain of flu that seems less virulent and much less widespread than what we deal with routinely.
    I've been saying that exact thing since day one.

Leave a comment:

• donley2
    replied
    CDC says send the kids back to school.
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/05/05/sw ... index.html

Seems like the right decision. We now have something like 400 confirmed cases and 700 very likely cases and 2 deaths so probably time to go back to school.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• donley2
    replied
    Texas is now closing in on half a million kids out of school due to swine flu
    http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/swineflu/schclosings.html . I actually know that list is incomplete and we may have well passed half a million by now. Based on the severity we have seen so far this seems a major overreaction, but I hesitate to add if a dozen or two school age kids had died from this flu I might well think differently.

Leave a comment:

• TrackDaddy
    replied
    New Mexico has cancelled all high school sports. Story on front page.
    Hmmp. :?

Another border state.

About that wall...

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    New Mexico has cancelled all high school sports. Story on front page.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Although I've expressed the view that there appears to been some overreaction, let's all remember that it's much ado about nothing only when it doesn't affect you. I don't think Mario Vasquez Rana, the IOC Executive Board Member from Mexico thinks this is much ado about nothing. That 2-year old kid who died in Texas was his grandson.

Leave a comment:

• Bruce Kritzler
    replied
    Officials starting to backtrack now. Apparentely the swine flu is not transmitted as easily as first thought. Much adoo about nothing!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X