Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watched "The Graduate" tonight

First time seeing it. There was nothing on so I scanned Comcast's free movies and saw The Graduate and figured it was about time I saw it. I kept waiting for something to blow me away but it never happened.

Aside from the emotional connection to that time in which it took place -- and the great music -- is this really such a great movie? I think on the stage it would have been better. What am I missing here?

Edit: For some reason, for all of these years, I thought much of the movie took place in Paris. Don't know why. The whole movie actually takes place in California.

It seemed like a pretty good flick if you saw it in 1967 when you were 21 years old. Mostly I liked the scene where Hoffman flounders around trying to rent the hotel room. It was something I could identify with at the time.

Comment

On a similar vein, watched Midnight Cowboy recently for the first time in 40-odd years and guess what, it doesn't hold up all that well. An Oscar winner?!!

Daring as heck for its era, but it didn't have much to keep my interest at a high level.

Comment

Re: Watched "The Graduate" tonight

Originally posted by BillVol

Edit: For some reason, for all of these years, I thought much of the movie took place in Paris. Don't know why. The whole movie actually takes place in California.
        Maybe you are thinking of "Last Tango in Paris" with Brando and Maria Schneider.
        No youthful innocence in that movie but it holds up much better than "the Graduate"

Comment

During the Summer of love the three theaters in Kenmore Square had "The Graduate, In the Heat of the Night, Blow Up." The Graduate was probably the first adult movie I attempted to get into, but I don't think they had a formal rating system at that time.

Let's just say I had never seen anyone behave like Mrs.Robinson on screen before and it was quite different. Obviously that wouldn't be the case today. So in that sense, the film wouldn't hold up.

Trivia: Charles Grodin turned down the (Benjamin) part because he supposedly was offered triple-scale or close to it, for salary.

Comment

While The Graduate probably is one of those movies that 'ya had to be there' to fully appreciate it, I show it in my Film Analysis class, and with just a little background intro, high school students like it a lot. It's a good segue into When Harry Met Sally, which they also like a lot.

Comment

The Graduate is one of my all-time favs. Its got sex and romance, a happy ending and its funny as hell. What else could you want
              phsstt!

Comment

I thought The Graduate was terrific at the time and I suspect I'd still think so if I saw it again. OTOH, I never loved Midnight Cowboy, and I'm sure I wouldn't love it now.

Comment

Blow up: All I recall about that film is that it was tedious, there is one great scene with the Yardbirds, and I fell in love with Vanessa Redgrave.

And speaking of Vanessa Redgrave, one of my all time favorite films is Morgan! - a movie seen and remembered by only me and maybe half-dozen other living humans.

Marlow's Film Analysis class: Must be great to teach in an upscale private school!!! At my old public high school we'd have been tarred and feathered for showing The Graduate to our 17 year-olds with tender sensibilities. Parents objected to kids reading Of Mice and Men. And I got into a head-butting match with a principal and parents because I dared show Amistad, which depicts slaves during the Middle Passage (gasp!) naked. Nevermind the chains, kidnapping, disease, brutality, starvation... they were naked!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                    The Graduate is one of my all-time favs. Its got sex and romance, a happy ending and its funny as hell. What else could you want
                    Happy ending? Did we see the same movie?

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                      While The Graduate probably is one of those movies that 'ya had to be there' to fully appreciate it, I show it in my Film Analysis class, and with just a little background intro, high school students like it a lot. It's a good segue into When Harry Met Sally, which they also like a lot.
                      "Film Analysis class"? We can add that to "Music Appreciation class" in college as a "Mickey" for dumb jocks. Hell, thats 6 units of A and that doesn't hurt the old GPA.

Comment

The old movies that hold up well over time are comedies. Here are some that I enjoy, then and now.

1. "It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World"
                        2. "Animal House"
                        3. "Used Cars"

Comment

Jimmy Durante "kicking the bucket" is a classic scene.
                          "It's buried underneath the big Dub-ah-Yah..."

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Slocombe
                            "Film Analysis class"? We can add that to "Music Appreciation class" in college as a "Mickey" for dumb jocks. Hell, thats 6 units of A and that doesn't hurt the old GPA.
                            I hope you're kidding. They have 6 major essays in the semester that demand an application of film theory to a particular work. It's like taking another English class, but with films instead of books. No one weak in English class goes anywhere near this class.

Comment

I liked "Morgan" also, but my all-time favourite cult movie is "King of Hearts". "Graduate" was interesting, but the ending was, shall we say, not guaranteed blissful - What in the world was going to happen to those two once they got off the bus?

Comment

Working...
                              X