Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mcgato
    Originally posted by SQUACKEE
    The Graduate is one of my all-time favs. Its got sex and romance, a happy ending and its funny as hell. What else could you want
    Happy ending? Did we see the same movie?
    I saw the R-rated version, didn't know they had a XXX version!! :shock:
    phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by oneill
      I liked "Morgan" also, but my all-time favourite cult movie is "King of Hearts". "Graduate" was interesting, but the ending was, shall we say, not guaranteed blissful - What in the world was going to happen to those two once they got off the bus?
      Love King of Hearts!! Great story.
      phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Slocombe
        The old movies that hold up well over time are comedies. Here are some that I enjoy, then and now.

1. "It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World"
        2. "Animal House"
        3. "Used Cars"
        Saw MAD ect ect last year and believe you me it holds up big time! I put it up there with Blazing Saddles.
        phsstt!

Comment

Speaking of The Graduate, anyone who loves movies will love this book: Pictures At A Revolution, by Mark Harris. The author takes the five pictures which were up for the Academy Award for Best Picture in 1968 – Bonnie and Clyde, The Graduate, In the Heat of the Night, Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner?, and Doctor Doolittle – and weaves a highly entertaining and informative story about how this was a bellwether year in the changeover in Hollywood from the old studio system to the more director-driven movie system that held sway through the 70s. Lot of juicy info about all of the actors and directors and screenwriters involved, plus tangents out into other Hollywood folks of the day, how movies got greenlighted and made, the death of the Production Code and the beginnings of the current ratings system, etc. A page turner – highly recommended!

Comment

. . . What in the world was going to happen to those two once they got off the bus?
            Indeed.

Do Ben and Elaine ever get married?
            How long and how well did their marriage hold up?
            Were they doomed to becoming their parents?

My answers to these questions have changed over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by dj
              . . . What in the world was going to happen to those two once they got off the bus?
              Indeed.

Director Mike Nichols said 'they become their parents'.

Comment

Originally posted by dj
                Indeed.

Ben went into Plastics, made a fortune and cheated on Elaine by hooking up with her mom as much as he could. Well thats my view. 8-)
                phsstt!

Comment

Don't forget the minor Track angle.... if I recall correctly there is mention of Ben being a Cross Country runner.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                    Don't forget the minor Track angle.... if I recall correctly there is mention of Ben being a Cross Country runner.
                    Don't think there's a mention of cross country. In the opening party scene one of the neighbor's asks him how the "track star" is doing.

What school did he go to back East? I always imagined it was Yale.

EDIT: I knew someone asks how the track star is. But it turns out that he was the college cross country captain. I vaguely thought this was in there, and then decided I was mistaken.

The CC reference was not in the Buck Henry script, but makes it into the film, so it must have been a small scene added by Henry or Mike Nichols.

Comment

Originally posted by dj
                      Wiki says unnamed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_graduate

Comment

"The Graduate" was a great trenchant satire....for it's time. Most "timely" movies don't hold up like classics do. My wife still loves "Pretty Woman" which I liked the first time out, and now seems duhated.

I saw "Ben Hur" the other day, and it still holds up for me, as does "2001", "Gone With the Wind," "Gentlemen's Agreement," "On the Waterfront" "All about Eve" and "From Here to Eternity." Just to mention some old fart faves of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
                          Originally posted by dj
                          Wiki says unnamed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_graduate
                          Yes, definitely unnamed. But where does one imagine he went?

Comment

According to imdb:

The school is widely believed to be Williams College, Webb's alma mater (in the opening sequence of the movie, Dustin Hoffman, playing Benjamin Braddock, is wearing a Williams College tie).
                            (Webb was the author of the novel on which the film was based.)

Comment

Originally posted by dj
                              Indeed.

At least in Animal House we find out at the end what became of Bluto and Co.

A wonderful film along with Mad....World. Glad to be in Eugene when they made it.

Comment

Originally posted by Friar
                                Trivia: Charles Grodin turned down the (Benjamin) part because he supposedly was offered triple-scale or close to it, for salary.
                                If he had done that role, I probably wouldn't have seen the movie. I've always found him very annoying.

Comment

Working...
                                X