Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re Grodin: ever seen Midnight Run with him and Robert DiNiro? Spectaular fun.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
      re Grodin: ever seen Midnight Run with him and Robert DiNiro? Spectaular fun.
      Loved it.
      "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
      by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Just watched "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" (mentioned above) for the first time last week. I thought it was excellent. What a run for Sidney Poitier that year, with that one plus "To Sir, With Love," and "In the Heat of the Night"!!

Comment

The end of the movie (Graduate) puzzled me, too. First of all, wasn't she legally married already? Mrs. Robinson says, "He's too late," when Ben is banging on the window. Then on the bus, their expressions go from happiness to worry.

There were some funny scenes no doubt. I like it when he takes Elaine to the Taft Hotel and all the employees come by addressing him by his fake name, Mr. Gladstone. His luggage when he first checked in was his toothbrush. Lots of funny scenes but it seems more suited for theater.

Used Cars is one of my favorite movies. As for Animal House, although at least part of it was shot in Eugene, notice the state flag on the stage when the Deltas are facing the Greek council. Tennessee state flag, which is hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by BillVol
            As for Animal House, although at least part of it was shot in Eugene, notice the state flag on the stage when the Deltas are facing the Greek council. Tennessee state flag, which is hilarious.
            Don't know about the T. flag, but except for the parade scene the whole movie was shot in Eugene. The scene where the Deltas are on trial was shot in the basement of Fenton Hall home of the Mathematics Department. I gave a lecture in that room once as an undergraduate.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
              As for Animal House, although at least part of it was shot in Eugene, notice the state flag on the stage when the Deltas are facing the Greek council. Tennessee state flag, which is hilarious.
              Don't know about the T. flag, but except for the parade scene the whole movie was shot in Eugene. The scene where the Deltas are on trial was shot in the basement of Fenton Hall home of the Mathematics Department. I gave a lecture in that room once as an undergraduate.
              Some interesting facts about Animal House, including info about U. of Oregon and Tennessee flag:

http://www.authorityonmovies.com/review ... house.html

Comment

Re: Watched "The Graduate" tonight

I think on the stage it would have been better.
                Trust me it isn't :shock:

Comment

[/quote]
                  Some interesting facts about Animal House, including info about U. of Oregon and Tennessee flag:

http://www.authorityonmovies.com/review ... house.html[/quote]

I knew of Chris Miller at Dartmouth. He was a 62 I was a 63.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
                    Interesting trivia. They did the whole movie in 30 days shooting. I remember all the commotion for a short period in the autumn of 1977. Trailers parked on 13th street. Running into Donald Sutherland, etc. A lot of fun.

http://www.authorityonmovies.com/review ... house.html

Comment

Re: Watched "The Graduate" tonight

First time seeing it. There was nothing on so I scanned Comcast's free movies and saw The Graduate and figured it was about time I saw it. I kept waiting for something to blow me away but it never happened.

Aside from the emotional connection to that time in which it took place -- and the great music -- is this really such a great movie? I think on the stage it would have been better. What am I missing here?

A lot of things written back then were trying to tune into that "Catcher in the Rye" hook.

As Marlow writes about his class, younger people relate to that feeling of social isolation amid changing times. I think "The Graduate" successfully taps into that a bit.

Katherine Ross makes it all worthwhile anyway. Later work I liked: "Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid", "The Stepford Wives", and (cultish perhaps) "The Sundance Woman" spinoff.

She and Kim Darby were considered a couple of the babes of pop film back then.

Comment

The Graduate was good, but I think the best young man/older woman movie of that era was Summer of '42. Not as entertaining perhaps, but more moving, as I recall.

Comment

The end of the movie (Graduate) puzzled me, too. First of all, wasn't she legally married already? Mrs. Robinson says, "He's too late," when Ben is banging on the window. Then on the bus, their expressions go from happiness to worry.
                          The ending was the best part. I like movies to be a little unpredictable. Instead of the usual happy ending, they leave you wondering. Who cares if Elaine was technically already married to the other guy? She went her heart. And it's a good thing Ben was a former track star or he would not have made it to that church. I wasn't even born when the Graduate came out, but it's one of my favorite movies. I think most 20-somethings can relate to it no matter what decade it is.

Comment

See the ending here: Dustin looks like he coulda been a good middle distance runner! Look away those with "christian icon blasphemy" sensibilities!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9eIXN6Sp40

What the ending says to me is: " Oyve! Now what?"

In real life Katherine Ross went on to marry hunkier Sam Elliot

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyp

In real life Katherine Ross went on to marry hunkier Sam Elliot

Spoken from a completely hetero standpoint, I have always thought that Elliot was the best looking guy in Hollywood.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                                Spoken from a completely hetero standpoint
                                Not that there's anything wrong with that . . . :P

Comment

Working...
                                X