Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sorry, you can't have three last names

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/ma ... ed-surname

I had never heard of that, but I asked my husband (who has dual citizenship) and he was vaguely aware of it. He has a great-aunt Grete and he thinks her birth certificate says Gretel because they wouldn't approve Grete.

I'll have to make sure not to give my kids crazy names, I wouldn't want to piss off the Standesamt!

Comment

There's a story on the website of the Telegraph (UK) about a woman who changed her name to Pudsey Bear in order to raise money for Children In Need. The British passport people refused to issue a passport to her with her new name because they deemed the change of name to be frivolous.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... sport.html

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower
        I'll have to make sure not to give my kids crazy names, I wouldn't want to piss off the Standesamt!
        Becca Pole-Vault-Power-Rainbow-Girl, Junior would strain a birth certificate.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower
          I had never heard of that, but I asked my husband (who has dual citizenship) and he was vaguely aware of it. He has a great-aunt Grete and he thinks her birth certificate says Gretel because they wouldn't approve Grete.

Nah, just make sure they're born here in the States. From what I've seen, pretty much anything goes.

Comment

During the 70s when 'liberated' women were combining their own last names with their husband's, e.g., Linda Ramma-Lamb, and then saddling their kids with that, I often wondered what would happen in a generation when the progeny met and retained the 'ownership' of all the names. So when Ramma-Lamb's kid married Betsy Adin-Tong's kid, would their kids be called Ramma-Lamb-Adin-Tongs? :P

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
              During the 70s when 'liberated' women were combining their own last names with their husband's, e.g., Linda Ramma-Lamb, and then saddling their kids with that, I often wondered what would happen in a generation when the progeny met and retained the 'ownership' of all the names. So when Ramma-Lamb's kid married Betsy Adin-Tong's kid, would their kids be called Ramma-Lamb-Adin-Tongs? :P
              Here, you dropped this crowbar.

Comment

I always laugh whenever they say the name Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O'Connor on the radio. It sounds like a competition straight out of Father Ted to see who can sound the most Irish, and it's got weird punctuation. It would be a hoot if his parents were from Russia or something. More kids should have random foreign names just for the silliness of having totally the wrong accent.

Comment

Hyphenated names play hell with computer data bases.

Comment

Interestingly, Germany's economy minister's full name is Karl-Theodor Maria Nikolaus Johann Jacob Philipp Franz Joseph Noddy Sylvester Freiherr von und zu Guttenberg.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl-Theodor_zu_Guttenberg

Karl-Theodor Maria Nikolaus Johann Jacob Philipp Franz Joseph Noddy Sylvester Freiherr von und zu Guttenberg (born 5 December 1971 in Munich), known as Karl-Theodor Freiherr von und zu Guttenberg or simply Karl-Theodor zu Guttenberg, is a baron (or, more correctly, a Freiherr) and German politician of the Christian Social Union of Bavaria (CSU). On 10 February 2009, he was appointed Federal Minister for Economics and Technology in the Cabinet of Angela Merkel. He previously held the post as Secretary General of his party.

Comment

My wife's dad is from Iran and she had two last names.."Mohajer Motlagh". Forms were a pain in the ass and she usually only went by Mohajer. It did cause a lot of problems when handling anything legal since one of the two names was always randomly left off the paperwork. However, she dropped them both when we married, avoiding the 3 last names.

Comment

And then there are all of those Latin American folks (Hispanic and Brazilian) who routinely use two last names.

Comment

Three Surnames

Unless you were in the Guiness Book... back in the day for owning the largest single piece of "bling"- Elizabeth Taylor-Wilding-Todd-Fisher-Burton.

Comment

She didn't stop with Burton, you know.

Comment

Liz & Dick (and ....)

She didn't, but the 1970 Guiness Book did...

Comment

Working...
                              X