Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best hamburgers in the US

Food Network has named the best burgers in the US by state.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/50-states-50 ... index.html

Rotier's (pronounced row-tears) was named the best in TN. They're good, but I'm not so sure they're the best. Just down the road from them is Elliston Place Soda Shop which serves a great burger and is a must visit when in Nashville. Zarzour's in Chattanooga beats them all in this state IMO.

Any comments on Food Network's list?

We've done this before and I believe it came down to In-and-Out Burgers vs. Five Guys Burgers.

Comment

Best burgers I've ever had probably came in little greasy-spoon dives Bobby Flay wouldn't be seen in.

Comment

The bottom line (IMO) is that burgers have to be grilled (not fried) and made of high-fat, fresh-ground, and hand-pattied ground chuck (or sirloin).

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          Best burgers I've ever had probably came in little greasy-spoon dives Bobby Flay wouldn't be seen in.

Ditto to this, and I'd add that this extends to cheesesteaks as well.

I understand going to Pat's or Geno's is "the thing to do" if you happen to be in Philly, but I'll take a steak from one of the local carts just about any day over either of these two. A lot cheaper too.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
            Take a ride up Mission Blvd in Hayward, past Cal State, and near the Hayward Plunge. There is a small run-down old place just off the parking lot named Fat Burgers or something to that extent. Run by ex-cons who serve the greasiest, juiciest and sloppiest burger you'll ever get your hands on. Carl's Jr used to advertise, "If it doesn't get all over you, it doesn't belong in your face." They had nothing on these guys. I think there is a compelling reason they have the best burgers in the East Bay.

Comment

Meers, Oklahoma. Little hole in the wall in a one horse town that has skillet sized burgers that are oh so good!

I'm sure sure Lonewolf has been there before and can vouch for it. Best burger I've ever eaten and that includes In & Out and Five Guys. I'd also say that Braums makes a pretty mean burger as well.
              If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                We've done this before and I believe it came down to In-and-Out Burgers vs. Five Guys Burgers.
                Only by folks who have had every taste bud ripped out of their head, or alternatively have never had a good burger. The only good thing I can say about an In and Out burger is that they are better than McDonald's, and that is not saying much.

Comment

I second Dietmats nomination of Meers burgers. I don't think that is what they are called. I don't think they have a name. I don't think the cafe has a name. You will have no trouble finding the burger place. Meers is a one short street, plank sidewalk, false front town along one side of a creek in what passes for mountains in the Wichita Wildlife Preserve in southern Oklahoma, where buffalo and longhorn cattle still roam freely.

There was brief gold prospecting hysteria there at the turn of the century. I don't think ANY gold was found but you can still find abandoned mine sites and machinery...inhabited by muchos rattlesnakes.

They also do a sizzling, salivating inducing steak, hanging off the plate with a football size baked potato and loaf of special bread. Used to be about five bucks but will probably cost you ten these days.. I am going to Lubbock Thursday to work Big 12 at Texas Tech and will deliberately make a short detour thru Meers to reaffirm the quality of Meers burgers and report on inflation.
                  I also agree that Braums has the best "chain" hamburgers in this neck of the woods.
                  I am not familiar with Five Guys but was disappointed in my two visits to IN-n-OUT, possibly because of the overhype.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
                    You will have no trouble finding the burger place. Meers is a one short street, plank sidewalk, false front town along one side of a creek in what passes for mountains in the Wichita Wildlife Preserve in southern Oklahoma, where buffalo and longhorn cattle still roam freely.
                    It looks . . . uh . . . interesting :roll:

http://www.meersstore.com/menu.html

Comment

I suddenly have a very real urge to scrap my finals and take a road trip to OK.

Comment

You will have no trouble finding the burger place. Meers is a one short street, plank sidewalk, false front town along one side of a creek in what passes for mountains in the Wichita Wildlife Preserve in southern Oklahoma, where buffalo and longhorn cattle still roam freely.

I will have to keep them in mind in case I am ever in that part of the country again. Apparently, according to them, I am somewhat of a confused soul, liking both mustard on mayo on burgers. I do agree with their take on ketchup though. There is one and only one food on earth that goes with ketchup and that is the french fry. Other than that ketchup ruins whatever it touches.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy

I will have to keep them in mind in case I am ever in that part of the country again. Apparently, according to them, I am somewhat of a confused soul, liking both mustard on mayo on burgers. I do agree with their take on ketchup though. There is one and only one food on earth that goes with ketchup and that is the french fry. Other than that ketchup ruins whatever it touches.

Mayonnaise is the tool of the devil.

Comment

Thanks for the link, Marlow. I had no idea Meers had a website. Heck, I didn't even know they had electricity.
                            Glad to see they have spruced up the place a bit.
                            Tenderfeet need not be apprehensive about encountering buffalo or longhorns on the street of Meers. There are pretty effective cattle guards down the road a piece that keep them out of "downtown" Meers.
                            M'gawd!!! I just noticed Parallel Parking. Since when? That street is only 16' wide but if you angle kinda sharp cars can still get by by pulling off on the shoulder.

Comment

Thanks for the link, Marlow. I had no idea Meers had a website. Heck, I didn't even know they had electricity.
                              Glad to see they have spruced up the place a bit.
                              Tenderfeet need not be apprehensive about encountering buffalo or longhorns on the street of Meers. There are pretty effective cattle guards down the road a piece that keep them out of "downtown" Meers.
                              M'gawd!!! I just noticed Parallel Parking. Since when? That street is only 16' wide but if you angle kinda sharp cars can still get by by pulling off on the shoulder.
                              Last time I was there, there was a bit of a traffic jam. In other words, there was cattle crossing (no joke). I think somehow they got out. I love the Mason jars they serve the coke in. It really makes you feel like you're back in time a bit. We always go there after a nice long hike in the Kiamichi mountains and yes Lonewolf, I encountered many a moccasin or rattler in that neck of the woods.
                              If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Working...
                              X