Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolverine: good or bad?

I haven't seen and have no plans to (even though I used to collect the comics).

Obviously a blockbuster, in spite of what this reviewer had to say:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 002&sc=707

Here's the lead, which is great trash-a-movie writing:

<<There's an implicit threat in the title "X-Men Origins: Wolverine." It's the suggestion that there are lots of X-Men, and each one has an origin, and that this is just the first of a potentially endless series of X-Men movies - each one doing what this one does: boring audiences with go-nowhere action sequences, while dazzling the mind with zingy repartee, such as, "Well, well, well! Look what the cat dragged in!"

Think: An actor didn't just say that. First, a screenwriter had to write it. He had to delve inside and search for something clever, tearing up reams of paper in the process, just the way writers do in movies. Then, finally, the sun burst through the clouds .....>>

I also loved this line:

<<....Unable to go on, he leaves the military and does what any self-respecting mutant would do under the circumstances: He moves to Canada, because that's how Americans think of Canada, after all - as identical to the United States, but with no problems.....>>

Re: Wolverine: good or bad?

Originally posted by gh
    boring audiences with go-nowhere action sequences
    As seems to be the norm with many self-important reviewers, he simply can't connect with anyone but himself. Too bad. He missed a very entertaining movie.

Comment

Saw it twice and liked it a LOT better than X3.
      If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

It's going to be a big summer for movies of this stripe - I'm sure this reviewer will hate them all.

Terminator
        Transformers
        Harry Potter
        GI Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
          Originally posted by gh
          boring audiences with go-nowhere action sequences
          As seems to be the norm with many self-important reviewers, he simply can't connect with anyone but himself. Too bad. He missed a very entertaining movie.
          Funny how every reviewer who has a different take than you on something somehow has flawed character.

Comment

It's going to be a big summer for movies of this stripe - I'm sure this reviewer will hate them all.

That's ok - you'll have the new 'Night At The Museum" movie to tickle your fancy(which by the way looks hilarious).
            There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              Funny how every reviewer who has a different take than you on something somehow has flawed character.
              Not at all. I am a self-admitted philistine with very common tastes. I just don't have much respect for reviewers who don't understand simple entertainment. A reviewer's job is to analyze and recommend a piece of art for the majority, not just the elitists of the world.

Comment

A reviewer's job is to analyze and recommend a piece of art for the majority, not just the elitists of the world.
                Hey, we need reviewers we can trust too! Can't depend upon the proles reviewers . . .

Comment

[.... A reviewer's job is to analyze and recommend a piece of art for the majority, not just the elitists of the world.
                  says who?

Comment

At first, I thought this thread was cooking related... I hear it tastes like chicken....no?

In relation to the above comment, few critics feel (or should feel) that they should reflect "average" or common taste. That's what the box office gross tells us. A serious critic always reflects a position of considerable knowledge about the subject (film, in this case) in question. And it is exactly that larger knowledge that goes into determining the "worth" of a film. A film might well be highly entertaining, but if it does so in an utterly generic manner--without novelty, originality, freshness, "something"--then it shouldn't be judged a great success... Quality and "simple" entertainment value aren't the same things...

Comment

Working...
                    X