Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chuck Daly (former coach of the Pistons) dies at 78

Great, great coach that will truly be missed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4153982
    If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

My only semi-personal interface with Daly:

He was Duke's Freshmen Coach back in 1964, when Frosh were still ineligible for varsity play, so being Freshmen Coach at a big time school was a great stepping stone. Daly was just entering the collegiate ranks after being a very successful coach at Punxatawney HS in Pennsylvania.

Anyway at one Frosh game I was assisting the regular manager, and was in the lockeroom at halftime of a game against North Carolina. Carolina's superstar freshman that year was a kid named Bob Lewis from DC.

Duke was about even at half time, and Daly told the team," You did a great job on Lewis in the first half... he only had 12 points. Hold him to that in the second half, and we'll win ! "

Lewis went for THIRTY SIX in the second half, 48 in all, and the Tar Heels needless to say won the game.

Comment

Daly managed to keep Dennis Rodman on an even keel. That alone speaks volumes about his ability to work with people.

Comment

Daly (says my local fishwrap) one of only two coaches to win NBA title after starting out at the HS level.

Who's the other?

Comment

My gut reaction is to name Don Nelson... out of the blue.

Comment

get new guts :-)

Comment

Guessing Dick Motta (Washington Bullets). I know he was one of the few NBA coaches to not play HS or college ball. Maybe the only. So maybe he's the other.

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
                Don Nelson has never won a title as a coach, but was a pretty good player for the Celtics.
                The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by TrackDaddy
                  Originally posted by EPelle
                  Don Nelson has never won a title as a coach, but was a pretty good player for the Celtics.
                  He was also a really good high school player. He graduated with my mother in Rock Island, Il.
                  If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    Daly (says my local fishwrap) one of only two coaches to win NBA title after starting out at the HS level.

Who's the other?
                    Didn't know there were only two, but if so, the other person is also a Pennsylvanian. He graduated from one high school and coached at another, both in the same county.

Comment

Yes, born in Philly.

Comment

Are the initials for this person J.R.?

Comment

Working...
                        X