• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This will warm the cockles of your heart

Bambam....what is a heart cockle?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=a ... &type=lgns

*Sigh*

When will enough be enough?

They've shackled and humiliated him, taken 250 million dollars from him :shock: , sent him to Leavenworth :shock: , taken his livlihood and career :shock: , etc...

All because he mismanaged roadkill.

Okay, he was wrong for fighting and killing animals :roll: but he's paid his debt to society AND THEN SOME.

Don't you think?

And NFL Commisioner Roger Goodell is STILL saying that he has to see if Vick is sorry for what he did blah, blah, blah.

Well, I bet he is.

Has anyone ever paid more for killing an animal?

How many people have killed animals?

They're still going to make him grovel and crawl and say all kinds of I love my dog type things so that no one even in the most remote areas of the country will ever thnk about fighting their dogs...

When they return from bow hunting bears.
    The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Re: This will warm the cockles of your heart

Originally posted by Jack Slocombe
      what is a heart cockle?
      wisegeek.com had this to say - sounds logical:

"cockles of your heart" is derived from the Latin description for the heart's chambers, cochleae cordis. It is believed that the word 'cockles' is a corrupted version of cochleae, most likely entering the popular vernacular as a form of slang. The prevailing medical opinion of that day and time was that the ventricles of the human heart resembled the concentric shells of small mollusks or snails, also known as cochleae or cockles.

Comment

Vick's situation is an oddity that says something about modern American culture... I'm not quite sure what, though.

No doubt Vick is a despicable person, but that doesn't seem to be unusual among NFL rosters. And his working with the Humane Society seems like a sick joke that only indicates he is listening to advice from some attorney or PR flak who wants to line his own pockets repairing Vick's ability to land a new football contract. Pure hyposcrisy.

Still, two years in jail and the loss of hundreds of millions of bucks (albeit more money than any athlete deserves under any circumstance!) is glaringly inconsistent with my idea of common sense, even-handed justice. Is Vick a worse person than, say, fellow NFLer Ray Lewis who waltzed away from a double murder indictment by pleading to a misdemeanor and thereby missing out on the "I'm going to Disneyland" endorsement when he became the Super Bowl MVP one year later. Lewis was fined $250,000 - maybe one 1/100 the financial damage to Vick (which income, again, is unconscionable for any athlete).

Comment

Originally posted by TrackDaddy
          Or for any crime? OK, the answer is undoubtedly yes but the point is that he has more than paid for his transgressions - the overall penalty was a miscarriage of justice, period.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
            Originally posted by TrackDaddy
            Or for any crime? OK, the answer is undoubtedly yes but the point is that he has more than paid for his transgressions - the overall penalty was a miscarriage of justice, period.
            I forget, what was Palin's sentence for killing caribou (or was it elks or meese?) from a helicopter?

Comment

While I can see the hypocrisy to a certain extent can you compare shooting animals in the wild with training them to fight for our pleasure?

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
                While I can see the hypocrisy to a certain extent can you compare shooting animals in the wild with training them to fight for our pleasure?
                If I thought Ms. Palin was shooting them out of necessity to feed her family, then I'd see your point. But she was killing (aka hunting) them for sport (aka pleasure. . . fun). Killing animals as sport . . . pleasure . . . fun, is sick, no matter if you are Vick or her.

Comment

Like we do boxers??

We breed and kill animals for our pleasure all the time. Oh, and then we eat them. Why is breeding them to fight so much worse?

It is obviously deeply ingrained in many cultures around the world and is not something I can work up much of a lather about. Sort of like folks who eat beef and pork and poultry who get worked up because some folks eat dog. The distinction is lost on me.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                    If I thought Ms. Palin was shooting them out of necessity to feed her family, then I'd see your point. But she was killing (aka hunting) them for sport (aka pleasure. . . fun). Killing animals as sport . . . pleasure . . . fun, is sick, no matter if you are Vick or her.
                    I thought that there was some wildlife management component to the Alaskan helicopter moose hunts, sort of like the Canadian clubbing of baby seals. (So is that how the booze Canadian Club got its name??)

Comment

We breed and kill animals for our pleasure all the time. Oh, and then we eat them. Why is breeding them to fight so much worse?
                      I didn't make that point though. My point was that shooting a wild animal is not comparable to breeding and killing an animal.

Comment

I didn't make that point though. My point was that shooting a wild animal is not comparable to breeding and killing an animal.
                        That part of the post was not in response to your post (my comment about boxers sorta was), but rather the whole Vick 'crime' and subsequent punishment.

Comment

is not comparable to breeding and killing an animal.
                          Um . . . we do that all the time.

Comment

Yes.

What happens to trophy animals who are shot with multiple arrows but never located, for example?

I work with a guy who was telling a story recently about his bear hunting trip to Canada.

He said when he goes back he'll know which bear to hunt because it will be the one that looks like a porcupine.

Pleasure.

For him at least.

And we train people to fight for our pleasure...no?
                            The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                              is not comparable to breeding and killing an animal.
                              Um . . . we do that all the time.
                              Yep, I'm not sure I'm that comfortable with factory farming either. And to bad hammy, I'm no boxing fan either.

Whether the punishment fits the crime, I do not know, but to breed dogs to fight is definitely on one end of the spectrum. To exploit human fighters is there too. To kill wild animals is not at that end of the spectrum when done correctly. (disclaimer; I'm not a hunter and do not condone hunting, actually I can't believe I'm even defending them, but Michael Vick, most are not)

Comment

Working...
                              X