X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
    Originally posted by Marlow
    Originally posted by TrackDaddy
    He likes venison, the outdoors, guns, camping, tracking, etc...
    I can buy that.If you want to go rough it, and are shooting game (great euphemism!) to eat it, can totally see that.

WTF! I have been making the case for this very thing for daze and you rebuffed me sir. Good day to you sir!
    Reread my posts. I said hunting for sustenance is completely fine. Hunting for pleasure isn't. I'm sure there's a fine line there somewhere, but it makes perfect sense to me.

Comment

Let me explain this quote of mine below:

I said...

"And yes, we've outlawed certain things from certain cultures-things that have persisted in this country to this day (dogfighting, cockfighting). Those peoples still practice those illegal activities with the understanding that they could face punitive actions for their behavior. But none of that changes the fact that the dominant culture controlled the punishment for the acts and those not of the dominant culture would have managed the same situation with empathy given the degree to which they could relate."

The last sentence simply means that people who could not relate culturally were "apparently" more appalled at Vick's crime and those were the people who controlled the case against him. On the other hand, people who could relate culturally would have had greater empathy because dogfighting isnt as culturally foreign to them. Unfortunately they had little to no authority in the mangement of the situation. If you can't understand the first two sentences, then yes, I agree... you simply are not smart enough to.
      Thanks for the clarification... I better understand your point and we'll just disagree...

As for how many people pit bulls kill...did you Google (decade old) statistics for the number of people they injure and maim too? How about how many children they attack? When you get around to it holler back with those results. Besides, the number of people that pit bulls injure and kill are relative to the number of pit bulls kept as pets and most people wouldn't own one.

And it does matter what breed of dog was fighting. Pit Bulls are bred to be aggressive and as I said earlier, for that reason some insurance companies wont even write homeowners policies for people who own one. All dogs arent the same. A blue healer for example that has never been trained will still try to herd something. Its instinctive and often comes with the breeding of animals over many years. When Vick was charged people who run from pit bulls when they see them acted as though they were suprised that people fought them. Acting as though they were dachshunds. :roll: Ignoring the breed was another ploy to fuel the case against him and intensity negative public sentiment.
      The stats you want are in the first result if you google "pit bull fatalities" do it yourself...

Keep in mind I've been playing devil's advocate on some of this stuff as I do think pit bulls are the worst of the dog breeds and the world might be a better place without them... personal opinion... but that does not mean that I think they should be trained to fight to the death for human entertainment while they are here... Nor should my personal distaste for the breed influence the severity of the prosecution one way or the other.

Do you own a dog? Do you own a pit bull? Would you? Why or why not?
      I do own a dog. He could easily hold his own (should he desire) against any dog on earth. He weighs 206lbs and has a 33" neck. He retrieves 18lb indoor shots like they are pez candies... I've over compensated for my own inadequacies by getting the largest, strongest dog breed. I don't need no stinking pit bull! Apollo (my dog) once got tired of a golden lab that was harrassing him at the dog park and Apollo grabbed the dog by the neck, lifted him off the ground, walked with him 6 feet away and deposited him back on terra firma. He knew exactly how much force to use to make his point. No injuries, except to the lab's pride... I appreciate that kind of sensibility.

Can I call you balzy for short?
      Only if you buy me dinner first :wink:

Thanks for the banter... I think this has run its course for me. Let's do it again sometime...

Comment

I do understand the need to keep wildlife numbers under control but honestly there are other ways of doing that.
        What ways would those be? Car crashes involving deer is a very real problem.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/11/14/autos/d ... /index.htm

From the article

About 1.5 million deer-vehicle collisions happen each year in the United States, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Those accidents cause about 150 deaths and $1.1 billion in property damage annually, according to NHTSA.

Comment

Originally posted by donley2
          I do understand the need to keep wildlife numbers under control but honestly there are other ways of doing that.
          That will continue to be a problem with or without population control programs. I read somewhere that they they put birth control chemicals on the salt licks to control overpopulation!

Comment

I can buy that.If you want to go rough it, and are shooting game (great euphemism!) to eat it, can totally see that.

WTF! I have been making the case for this very thing for daze and you rebuffed me sir. Good day to you sir!
            Reread my posts. I said hunting for sustenance is completely fine. Hunting for pleasure isn't. I'm sure there's a fine line there somewhere, but it makes perfect sense to me.
            I would argue you did not make a clear distinction but im tired, pale and ready for a nap.
            phsstt!

Comment

im tired, pale and ready for a nap.
              Me too. Call it a draw!

Comment

im tired, pale and ready for a nap.
                Me too. Call it a draw!
                Ok, i now declare both of us completely right. You can see why my 24th wedding anniversary is Monday, cant you? 8-)
                phsstt!

Comment

I can buy that. If you want to go rough it, and are shooting game (great euphemism!) to eat it, I can totally see that. When I went on a Navy survival exercise during flight training, we had to fend for ourselves for 3 days out in the woods. By the second day we were REALLY hungry. My buddy and I spotted a raccoon up a tree so he climbed the tree, shook it and I waited at the bottom with a tree limb to bash its brains in. The raccoon plopped down right in front of me, looked up at me with his Rocky Raccoon eyes and I couldn't do it. So we treed it again and this time I climbed the tree and he hit it in mid-fall like a Harmon Killebrew home run! DOA. He gutted it and cooked it (starting a fire by rubbing sticks together is much harder than it looks - took us a good half an hour!) and I did down a few choice morsels.
                  Wow...great story.

I'd get woozy trying to kill and clean an animal.

But after someone else did it you could certainly depend on TrackDaddy to help you eat it.

Agreed, balzy...uh...er...balzonia.

I'll pick up the tab when we meet.
                  The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by donley2

http://money.cnn.com/2006/11/14/autos/d ... /index.htm

From the article

About 1.5 million deer-vehicle collisions happen each year in the United States, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Those accidents cause about 150 deaths and $1.1 billion in property damage annually, according to NHTSA.
                    Apparently there isnt too much of a problem to manage since you can only hunt deer in season or at certain times of the year?

If the problem was that bad why can't they be hunted year round?

Comment

Originally posted by TrakFan
                      Pit Bulls are bred to be aggressive and as I said earlier, for that reason some insurance companies wont even write homeowners policies for people who own one.
                      Denver has an ordinance in place to control (limit) their presence in the city...

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/l ... 50,00.html
                      It seems whenever pit bulls are targeted for restriction some group will claim it all has to do with how each one is being reared.

I beg to disagree.

Comment

Working...
                      X