Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Are the Best Game-Winning Shots Ever Made?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Are the Best Game-Winning Shots Ever Made?

Loved that James 3-pointer last night to win. Watched the replay on CNN.

What have been the most remarkable game-winning shots ever made which you rate high on your lists? MLB included, it would be Gibson 1988 against Oakland for me.

Michael Jordan, 1982 NCAA championship, 17 seconds to go against Georgetown.

Comment

With my collegiate background, my answer is very simple.... Christian Laettner's miracle shot ( after Grant Hill's miracle pass) against Kentucky in the Regional final in 1992.

Comment

Lorenzo Charles, at-the-buzzer put-in to lead NC State over Houston in the 1983 NCAA championship. Now Steve and I will wait for our Deamon Deacon brethren from Winston-Salem to add their big-time game-winner and complete the Tobacco Road quadruple-play.

Ohhh, I just remembered, they haven't had one of those.

Comment

I second Lorenzo Charles and add Bobby Thomson's "Shot Heard 'Round the World" and Bill Mazeroski's World Series winning walk off homer in 1960.

Comment

BYU's Danny Ainge...dribbling the length of the court to score in the last second to upset Notre Dame in NCAA playoffs, 1981.

Comment

I can tell you what the worst game-winning shot ever was in two words: Joe Carter.

Comment

It was not a game winner but a couple of years ago, Okla State guard Byron Eaton threw in a twisting, over the shoulder, falling out of bounds at mid court prayer, at the buzzer to send a game against mortal rival Univ Okla into overtime. As I recall, OSU won in overtime.

Comment

That Lebron shot is over rated in the scheme of things with respect to the importance of the game. That was game 2 of the Eastern Conference Finals.
                  on the road

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay
                    Michael Jordan, 1982 NCAA championship, 17 seconds to go against Georgetown.
                    With all due respect to Jordan, a game winner with 17 seconds to go is not a true game winner. The other team had 17 seconds left and didn't get it done.

Keeping with North Carolina, though, I'll throw out Charlotte Smith's 3 pointer as time expired to win the NCAA championship. From the UNC site, where she is assistant coach.
                    She is perhaps best known for her performance in the 1994 NCAA Championship game, when her buzzer-beating three-pointer gave UNC the national crown with a 60-59 win over Louisiana Tech. She also had a championship-record 23 rebounds in the game and was named the Final Four's Most Outstanding Player.
                    I believe that was Marion Jones only NCAA championship.

Comment

C'mon, its Laettner, even if I didn't go to Duke. The others are just pretenders.

Comment

I would agree with Laettner as the best. I like college basketball much more than professional, so I haven't watched a lot of the NBA. I watch basketball and think what those players could do in track and field.

Comment

I don't watch NBA, probably because I don't care who wins but the other night at NJCAA I found my self trapped in a dorm lounge with several young men watching Cleveland and Orlando on the only TV available. Cleveland dominated the first 35 minutes, led by 16 at the half, Orlando started raining threes in the last five minutes, four lead changes in the final minute, miracle shots by both sides, Orlando won 106-105. I still didn't care who won but actually found myself interested in the action... and that fellow LeBron James is a heckuva ball player.

Comment

The Soviets might argue with all of our choices here. Of course, Laettner and the others managed it on their first try....

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay
                              The Soviets might argue with all of our choices here. Of course, Laettner and the others managed it on their first try....
                              We're talking about legal game-winning shots that weren't manipulated by the officials.

Trivia question on the 1972 shot - the basket was scored by Aleksandr Belov for the Soviets. Who were the two Americans guarding him? And for the real toughy, who threw the pass?

Comment

Working...
                              X