Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mammas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Play Hockey

In this week's SI, 324 NHL players were asked, "Should the NHL ban fighting?

Yes - 0.6%
    No - 99.4%

If that's not a license to be a thug . . .

That tells me everything I need to know about pro hockey and the people who play it . . . :roll:

Re: Mammas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Play Hockey

Originally posted by Marlow
    That tells me everything I need to know about pro hockey and the people who play it . . . :roll:
    You mean they're all dentists?

Comment

Fighting - one of the two main reasons I don't watch ice hockey. The other is that I don't like ice hockey . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
        No, but most hockey players have a dentist on speed dial.

Comment

Many years ago, I had occasion to be in the locker room of an NHL team after a game. I was astonished by what these guys' mouths looked like. It wasn't pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
            Many years ago, I had occasion to be in the locker room of an NHL team after a game. I was astonished by what these guys' mouths looked like. It wasn't pretty.
            Probably thought they were Brits.

Comment

Might be urban myth but the only NHLer with all of his teeth back in the 1960s was also the only American born player pre-1969 expansion, Tom Johnson of the Boston Bruins. He was also a winner of the James Norris Trophy which was named after a member of a family with mob ties. Post WWII NHL hockey has a history of racketeering, money laundering etc. but don't get me started.

cman :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
                No, but most hockey players have a dentist on speed dial.
                Curiouser and curiouser!

So the dentists are telling them how to vote?

Oh, dear! What nonsense I’m talking!

Comment

Consulted on a few NHL hockeyplayer driven restaurants. The inclusionof poor dentation friendly menu items and in the specials rotation was a standard that I used pretty much everywhere but That`s what the guys eat if a tooth gets knocked loose became a nice little tableside sell in those places.
                  Tom Hyland:
                  "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

Perhaps SI should ask the respective nationalities on the rink what they think about fighting and why it should be permitted. I assume the answers would vary from nation to nation. I doubt Swedes would consent to fighting for the sake of it, but some Russians may.

The most lucrative contract in NHL history (124M-USD) was signed by Russian Alexandr Ovechkin, reknown for his absolutely powerful hits and fights on the ring. His parents were fotboll and basketboll players.

Comment

Originally posted by cullman
                      Might be urban myth but the only NHLer with all of his teeth back in the 1960s was also the only American born player pre-1969 expansion, Tom Johnson of the Boston Bruins. He was also a winner of the James Norris Trophy which was named after a member of a family with mob ties. Post WWII NHL hockey has a history of racketeering, money laundering etc. but don't get me started.

cman :shock:
                      Expansion was in 1967. I've been a Penguins fan ever since.
                      "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                      by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
                        Perhaps SI should ask the respective nationalities on the rink what they think about fighting and why it should be permitted.
                        If the vote weren't so lop-sided, I might agree.

"Should the NHL ban fighting?
                        Yes - 0.6%
                        No - 99.4%

That 2 yesses out of a sample of 324.

Comment

They don't allow fighting in the Olympics, and some of the Olympic hockey games in the professional era (1998-2006) have been some of the best hockey you'll ever see. Did anyone see the 2002 Gold Medal game between the USA and Caanda?

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                            They don't allow fighting in the Olympics
                            What?! Heresy! If the NHL banned fighting, they'd lose a lot of their audience. It's like NASCAR - fans just waiting for something bloody to happen.

Comment

Their USA-audience? We have the opportunity to watch every broadcast here in SE. Hockey is here what going to church is in the southern part of USA. No, Swedes aren't saints on the rink, but the only call for fighting on a rink is if one of your players gets hacked out there.

Consider it the brush-back in an MLB game. It's allowed, and I believe most would consider it completely acceptable - even a high, inside pitch up north toward the head.

Comment

Working...
                              X