Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cullman
    replied
    A few people don't know that Gordie Howe was on the ice during Bobby Orr's first NHL game: http://members.cox.net/bobbyorr-4/orrbody.htm

>>Orr's first NHL game was against the Detroit Red Wings. He was so excited to be playing against "Mr. Howe", that he arrived at the Garden at 1:00 pm for a 7:30 pm game.

Early in the game, young Bobby put some lumber to the back of Gordie's neck. Later in the game, Detroit's #9 caught Orr with his head down and smashed him to the ice. Bobby remembers it like this, "He hit me a good one, I saw birds for awhile". Gordie's account of the check, "All of the Boston players were skating over and the young kid got up and told them: 'take it easy gentlemen, I deserved that!'".
    <<

CBC showed the incident to Bobby Orr around the time that he retired. The cameras missed the actual hit because it was so subtle and happened so fast but they did get a shot of Orr lying face up and spread eagled on the ice with Gordie Howe slowly skating away. Orr laughed pretty hard and seemed to enjoy seeing the footage for the first time.

cman

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman
    If the guy had a brain, he wouldn't have been messing with Howe's kid with Howe in the game.
    Well, in that case, Howe's fingers would've just poked through the top of the skull, like mini-horns! :twisted:

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    If the guy had a brain, he wouldn't have been messing with Howe's kid with Howe in the game.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    I've been told by physician friends that this story is apocryphal. Not because they don't believe that somebody could be strong enough to do that, but because the nose would've ripped off!
    I'm thinking if he picked him straight up, Howe's fingertips would've ended up in the guy's brain! :shock:

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Another from the Howe Legend collection:

So Gordie is in his 50s, still playing in the WHA (Houston?) and his teenage sons are playing as well. Some cement-head puts one of the kids on the ice. Then he does it again. Gordie, somewhat protective of his kids, but more upholding the unwritten rule that you only get nasty with somebody your own size, tells the guy, "don't you think you're being a little hard on the kid?"

Couple of shifts later the guy does the dirty on junior again. Gordie puts the guy on the ice, takes off his glove, inserts middle and forefinger into the guy's nostrils and picks him up, shrieking in agony

I've been told by physician friends that this story is apocryphal. Not because they don't believe that somebody could be strong enough to do that, but because the nose would've ripped off! Obviously the truth lies somewhere between.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by catson52
    Originally posted by bad hammy
    Fighting - one of the two main reasons I don't watch ice hockey. The other is that I don't like ice hockey . . .
    Don't watch ice hockey nowadays. But the game in the late 60s and early 70s was definitely worth watching. Orr, Hull, Beliveau, JC Tremblay, Peter Mahovlich killing penalties, lots of other greats. Hull had the physique to take on anyone, but rarely got into fights. I remember an ad from that time featuring Hull and a top football player, who looked like Charles Atlas' 98 lb weakling next to Bobby Hull.
    There was a picture of Hull in TIME in the '60s (well, the Canadian version at least) of him with his shirt off pitching hay. As solid a chunk of rock as you can imagine.

Then there was Gordie Howe, also carved out of granite. One of my favorite stories is his father being asked, "So, when did you realize that Gordie was something special?"

Dad replies, "I reckon when he was about 13 or 14, and he was walking across the yard carrying a couple of 65-pound bags of fertilizer... one in each hand with an overhand pinch grip."

Leave a comment:

• mojo
    replied
    Mamas in Canada want their sons to play in the NHL...teeth or no teeth!

hell after you quit you can get all the cosmetic surgery you want.

I am female, a pacifist (except on the field hockey pitch ops: ) and I hate fighting in the NHL but even I don't sound like the Pollyannish marlow about (aboot) it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

International hockey is fanatastic. 8-) 8-)

I spent about 8 years in small town BC (gh knows the area well) and as there was nothing else to do on a Friday night my girls would go hang around at the hockey arena just to see their friends. I went to pick them up once and I saw these sweet little old ladies who worked in the grocery store screaming and pounding on the glass for their guys 'to kill them". Not a pretty sight. :shock: I never went back through the door.

I am already so nervous aboot Olympic hockey next year I can't stand it. :?

Leave a comment:

• catson52
    replied
    Originally posted by bad hammy
    Fighting - one of the two main reasons I don't watch ice hockey. The other is that I don't like ice hockey . . .
    Don't watch ice hockey nowadays. But the game in the late 60s and early 70s was definitely worth watching. Orr, Hull, Beliveau, JC Tremblay, Peter Mahovlich killing penalties, lots of other greats. Hull had the physique to take on anyone, but rarely got into fights. I remember an ad from that time featuring Hull and a top football player, who looked like Charles Atlas' 98 lb weakling next to Bobby Hull.

Leave a comment:

• cullman
    replied
    Originally posted by Pego
    Originally posted by cullman
    Might be urban myth but the only NHLer with all of his teeth back in the 1960s was also the only American born player pre-1969 expansion, Tom Johnson of the Boston Bruins. He was also a winner of the James Norris Trophy which was named after a member of a family with mob ties. Post WWII NHL hockey has a history of racketeering, money laundering etc. but don't get me started.

cman :shock:
    Expansion was in 1967. I've been a Penguins fan ever since.
    Whoops...goes to show you how much NHL hockey I was watching during that period... :lol: ops:

I was following the exploits of Jim Ryun, Ron Clarke and Tommie Smith back then.

c(anuck)man

Leave a comment:

• Mighty Favog
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist
    They don't allow fighting in the Olympics, and some of the Olympic hockey games in the professional era (1998-2006) have been some of the best hockey you'll ever see. Did anyone see the 2002 Gold Medal game between the USA and Caanda?
    Me, and two-thirds of our northern neighbors. It was worth watching just for Don Cherry's outfit.

It's an interesting paradox about Canada: sterotypically gentle people who love an amazingly violent sport.

My mother cares nothing about sports save hockey. She must be the only 70-something woman who buys her symphony tickets to schedule around the NHL playoffs. Literally religiously dedicated to working for peace, but doesn't mind an on-ice scuffle or two. Wierd.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by highjumpsteve, on another thread, five years ago
    " I went to a Boxing Match and a Hockey game broke out. "
    He was quoting someone else, of course. It's an old line.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist
    But don't the NHL's written rules forbid fighting? Isn't this just a case a lax enforcement of rules. And if fighting is within the rules, why do referees ever break up fights? Shouldn't they allowed to fight all night if they want top? And why is there so much less fighting in the playoffs?
    NHL refs remind me of pro wrestling refs. 'Hey, you guys, break it up, No really, stop it. I'm warning you. For the last time' . . . all this as they're checking their watch and looking for the signal off-camera that it's carried on long enough. :roll:

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied
    NHL Rule 47:

47.1 Fighting – A fight shall be deemed to have occurred when at least one player (or goalkeeper) punches or attempts to punch an opponent repeatedly or when two players wrestle in such a manner as to make it difficult for the Linesmen to intervene and separate the combatants.

The Referees are provided very wide latitude in the penalties with which they may impose under this rule. This is done intentionally to enable them to differentiate between the obvious degrees of responsibility of the participants either for starting the fighting or persisting in continuing the fighting. The discretion provided should be exercised realistically.

47.2 Aggressor – The aggressor in an altercation shall be the player (or goalkeeper) who continues to throw punches in an attempt to inflict punishment on his opponent who is in a defenseless position or who is an unwilling combatant.

More: http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26336

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    Hockey plays by the rules under which it was established. And the players, almost to a man agree. Your opinion on "sportsmanship" counts for zip.
    But don't the NHL's written rules forbid fighting? Isn't this just a case a lax enforcement of rules. And if fighting is within the rules, why do referees ever break up fights? Shouldn't they allowed to fight all night if they want top? And why is there so much less fighting in the playoffs?

Leave a comment:

• marknhj
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman
    Many years ago, I had occasion to be in the locker room of an NHL team after a game. I was astonished by what these guys' mouths looked like. It wasn't pretty.
    Several years ago I had occasion to be in a New Jersey hotel lobby when an NHL team arrived. I was astonished what these guys looked like, even in Armani suits. It wasn't pretty :shock:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X