X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who gets forgiven? [split]

Originally posted by Daisy
    Originally posted by Pego
    Is there a point in this rant that I am missing?
    Everyone does and has always done it, so why is WADA getting their knickers in a twist?
    Heard a guy on ESPN radio this morning say that Manny is likely to end up on the All-Star team. We've already established that the given the opportunity (or even if they're not) most athletes will dope, and the fans obviously don't give a shit.

The devil's advocagte in me says, what a stunning repudiation of another useless "war on drugs."

Manny as All-Star

American forgiveness second acts (what would our thinking be as to the average "image recovery time" f/ the following:

Marv Albert

Pres. Clinton

Michael Jordan

Ted Kennedy

Kobe

Michael Vick (pending)

Elliot Spitzer (pending)

Comment

Now about Richard Nixon?

Comment

Forgiveness

How about him?

Comment

Shouldn't he be on your second act forgiveness list?

Comment

Tricky

I understood what you meant, and was asking you in turn, how about him?

Comment

Second Acts

Rob Lowe

Paul Hornung

Comment

Re: Tricky

Originally posted by bijanc
                I understood what you meant, and was asking you in turn, how about him?
                Nixon was booted out of the Presidency and left office in total disgrace. After a period of time, however . . .well, let me quote Wiki
                By 1977, Nixon began forming a public-relations comeback effort. . . . .He soon published his memoirs . . . He supported Ronald Reagan for president in 1980, making numerous television appearances portraying himself as, in biographer Steven Ambrose's words, "the senior statesman above the fray." He wrote guest articles for numerous publications and participated in many television interviews. . . . [he] met with many foreign leaders, especially those of Third World countries. . . . The Washington Post ran stories on Nixon's "rehabilitation." He later embarked on journeys to Japan, China, and the Soviet Union. On his return from the Soviet Union, Nixon sent President Ronald Reagan a lengthy memorandum that contained foreign policy suggestions and his personal impressions of Mikhail Gorbachev. Following this trip, Nixon was ranked by Gallup as one of the ten most admired men in the world.

In 1986, . . . Newsweek, among other publications, ran a story on "Nixon's comeback" with the headline "He's back." He gained respect as an elder statesman in the area of foreign affairs . . .
                I think Nixon belongs on your list.

Comment

Re: Tricky

Originally posted by tandfman
                  I think Nixon belongs on your list.
                  Speaking as a HUGE Nixon fan, I am not sure he makes the redemption list. He did regain a measure of respect for his post-Presidential actions but dug himself way too big a hole to ever be considered fully redeemed. OJ could turn into a regular Mother Teresa but he ain't never gaining redemption . . .

Comment

The subject of the list was "American forgiveness second acts." I don't know how many Americans ever forgave Nixon. I was never a Nixon fan and I certainly didn't forgive him, but I think a lot of Americans did.

Comment

Herbert Hoover (pending)

Comment

Originally posted by cullman
                        Herbert Hoover (pending)
                        Pending what, new info that he wasn't President during the first years of the Great Depression??

Comment

Nobody has forgiven Tanya Harding... it's too much fun despising some people!

Comment

Originally posted by jhc68
                            Nobody has forgiven Tanya Harding... it's too much fun despising some people!
                            I did!
                            But I can't believe this fast tracking of Spitzer that's going on.

However, John Edwards there's no hope for! Can't be done!

Comment

Originally posted by Per Andersen
                              However, John Edwards there's no hope for! Can't be done!
                              One might have said the same for Newt Gingrich

Comment

Working...
                              X