Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ritalin f/ Children v. Adults

Will have a prelim consultation w/ a VA behavorial professional soon (a walk-in consult to help determine an ADD concern based on the suggestion of a parent, who was a shrink, and a friend who worked as an editor, who told me Ritalin has aided him in conversations w/ his wife and children, and professionally.

Does anyone have personal thoughts and/pr experience re- Ritalin and adults? on Ritalin in general (espec. parents, clinicians or educators). I'm 49, freelance writer & publicist, but had academic issues re- applyng myself, and idle time when "I'd finished my classwork". The chem issue was not on the table when I was in school. Was not hyperactive, however.

Obv. not looking f/ a personal diagn., more for folks' thoughts on the drug.

Re: Ritalin f/ Children v. Adults

Originally posted by bijanc
    Will have a prelim consultation w/ a VA behavorial professional soon (a walk-in consult to help determine an ADD concern based on the suggestion of a parent, who was a shrink, and a friend who worked as an editor, who told me Ritalin has aided him in conversations w/ his wife and children, and professionally.

Does anyone have personal thoughts and/pr experience re- Ritalin and adults? on Ritalin in general (espec. parents, clinicians or educators). I'm 49, freelance writer & publicist, but had academic issues re- applyng myself, and idle time when "I'd finished my classwork". The chem issue was not on the table when I was in school. Was not hyperactive, however.

Obv. not looking f/ a personal diagn., more for folks' thoughts on the drug.
    I have decades of experience in treatment of mood disorders, but this is not something one can treat on the message board, or even through personal e-mails. Discuss your situation with the professional you are scheduled to see and let him offer you therapeutic options. If you like his approach, try it, if you don't, go see somebody else.
    Definitely, don't accept any diagnostic or therapeutic advice from the message board.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Ritalin f/ Children v. Adults

Wasn't seeking diagnosis, which is why I provided scant details. Was asking if anyone had personal, parental or professional observations from experience.

I'm interested in people's own thoughts on Ritalin and adults, much as one would ask a general sentiment regarding what to do in San Miguel de Allende, or the board's opinions on a brand of automobile. I'll get the personal fit (or not) from the pro.

Comment

fwiw

had a friend in frosh soph yrs of college. He was an all american football player and sharp as a tack. He would hold court virtually every day in the locker room - never saw him at a loss for (intelligent - smack down) words. He had one of those football jobs handing out towels - perfect venue. I would go there any time I could to watch/listen to the master. He would have everyone rollin. And he got stereotypkical football grads ..barely eligible - even with basketweaving. ... Was recruited by a big time football program and flunked out first semester

Anyway - fast forward 30 yrs or so and I've moved two states away and in a relatively small town. One day I was driving by a pawn shop and had a whim to go in. You guessed it - there he was - owner of several businesses and a bit more 'level'. He told me he had trouble with his marriage - got in trouble with the law (running numbers and dealing with the seedier side of life.) Pretty much a lost soul.

He told me he had eventually gone to a therapist (psych, psy, - not sure which ) and as a 45 yr old was dx as ADD. Prescribed Ritalin and it changed his whole life - he was in graduate school - to become a "therapist". He told me it was like night and day. If only this had happened when I was in HS. He was sold. Pretty amazing story - and I'm guessin the exception rather than rule.

So - that's one person's story. Still funny too.

Comment

Ritalin in Middle Age

Thanks- that's exactly what I was after, not a "one size fits all" opinion, since ADD is so nuanced, and no one here has evaluated me, but just some personal and anecdotal insight.

My big thing has been high standardized achievement scores (espec. reading & word compreh.) v. indifferent academic performance. Distaste for univ. lectures, sermons, but a preference for reading & research. Wasn't hyper, but did talk a lot when finished w/ intramural schoolwork ages 6-9. In workforce, it's difficult to stay interested in or committed to a position (writing/p.r.) for very long. If I'm not intellectually stimulated, a class, dinner party, film, or public gathering can become problematic for me to endure (as opposed to "let's just go to the movies/nightclub/cookout for fun"). I'm widely published and happy w/ the public speaking/freelance//teaching adult ed., but the 9-to-5 realm is the challenge.

The story you shared is informative. The colleague who asked if I had ever considered such an evaluation changed careers from mag editor to real estate exam instructor and sometime listing agent. Harvard grad diagnosed in his early 50's. We'll see what the VA doc says based on what I tell her/him, and what the clinician and I think about whether or not my life could become more manageable.

Thx.

Comment

good luck!

- in some circles in the mental health communities - it is opined that many some? many? a few? adults suffer from ADD/ADHD. It is certainly much more ink in the journals and research stuff. This guy was an amazing individual and obviously bright - but was one of those "back row" guys in class.

There are several meds now that are used to treat ADD ... But, as was said - your doc should know which way to go -

Hope your search is fruitful!

Comment

One Writer's Experience on (Unperscibed) Adderall

A person in my field who went over the counter shares his thoughts:

http://www.slate.com/id/2118315/

Comment

Ritalin/Adderall

Saw this question (nearly identical) on another board, cat older than I:

Hi...quick back story.....no doubt in my mind I have ADD at 54 years old...had it all my life. Back as far as Junior High School my reports read..." has the ability but does not apply himself, daydreams, is easily distracted" etc etc etc.

I also have been trying to make a career in music for all my life but it eluded me....guess why. I now,being too old to rock 'n roll too dumb to quit, need to do some serious study, learn new software audio recording programs and also work on my music reading studies. I cannot let all the years of work towards this effort go poof!

But I cannot focus. I cannot even read for long, my mind drifts to a zillion things that need doing and the computer/internet holds me captive.

I also have two young kids late in life, 6yrs and 19 months, so my energy is being sapped from all directions.

I know I need to go see a professional and get diagnosed and talk to him/her about meds etc.

My question to the board is.....I really feel I have a talent as regards my music abilities and I want to give it one last serious go....study up, go in my studio and write music like a fiend when I get home from work etc etc...be really creative again.

Will Ritalin really help with this? I have heard it calms one down and also has the effect of really helping one focus minutely and also gives energy.

Has anyone here used the medication to good effect as an adult, perhaps for similar reasons as I have described?

Thanks

(wonder what he ended up doing)

Comment

not trying to sell ya or anything - just another story -closer to home. Have a daughter who had extreme difficulty in school - from the gun. Cs - Ds - Fs and 'borderline behavioral' problems. We fought and fought and fought with the idea of ADD/ADHD and kept away from and meds that were occasionally mentioned. She continued to struggle - managing to keep her head barely above water. Her test scores wer low and she was becoming rebellious as her 1 brother and 3 sisters were all exceptional students - all way round.

Anyway - we finally went to Doc and started her on Concerta. It was literally a black and white change. Ahhh but she had lost alllll that learning skill etc - from Grade 1 thru 9th grade. In a matter of a year or two she was getting a few As mostly Bs and maybe one C. She told me that she could never figure out why everyone else could pay attention and she was all over the place.

She is now at D1 school on scholarship, was a better than average HS xc runner and ended up with a 3.7 or so. She is now cumulative 3.4 - taking 'real classes too Chemistry, Biology, Physiology etc. No picnic - she studies longer and harder than most. Graduating next year. No way that was in the cards until we finally saw writing on wall. Needless to say ' I ' would do things differently with that good ol 20/20 hindsight.

Really a testament to 'listen'. Again hope search ends up well

Comment

Adults & ADD Meds

Every case is so unique. Unlike the athlete in the first case on this thread, and the daughter in the last, my grades were high (though not what teachers and my folks knew i could earn were I not coasting). I'm also different than the 54-year old musician in that I can read for long long periods of time.

That's where the consultation comes in- nothing fits all when it comes to inattentiveness. Thanks for the story re- your daughter, glad to see a success.

Comment

http://www.vancouversun.com/Health/Payi ... story.html

Comment

Working...
                      X