Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could you have spelled Laodicean?

Then you might have beaten other 8th-graders to win the national spelling bee!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 17SQGB.DTL

For next year's final question they ought simply to use the name of this year's winner: Kavya Shivashankar :-)

Not a cahnce, pathatic reely. :roll:
    phsstt!

Comment

I caught a brief interview with the winner on CNN this morning.
      What a bright, wonderful, inspirational young woman... She talked about helping to coach her younger sister in spelling in the future, about her plans to become a neuro-surgeon, and about her violin-playing. As I suspect we all feel, I hoped she was still taking time to be a "kid", but she certainly seemed grounded and brilliant and involved. You go, girl !!!

Comment

I was just at a bar, and they had ESPN Sportscenter on with no sound. They were interviewing the winner, and they asked her to spell Krzyzewski (Duke men's basketball coach for those unfamiliar). Not sure if she got it, since the sound was off.

Years ago, I taught high school in Charlotte, NC, and I would ask trivia questions on tests. More for my amusement than anything. One of the trivia questions was to spell Krzyzewski. I don't think anyone got it correct. The best answer started with a game attempt at the correct spelling, then went into -califragilisticexpialidocious.

Comment

Originally posted by mcgato
          I was just at a bar, and they had ESPN Sportscenter on with no sound. They were interviewing the winner, and they asked her to spell Krzyzewski (Duke men's basketball coach for those unfamiliar). Not sure if she got it, since the sound was off.

Years ago, I taught high school in Charlotte, NC, and I would ask trivia questions on tests. More for my amusement than anything. One of the trivia questions was to spell Krzyzewski. I don't think anyone got it correct. The best answer started with a game attempt at the correct spelling, then went into -califragilisticexpialidocious.
          No American could get the spelling of Krzyzewski right just by listening. Everybody here pronounces it "shishevski" instead of "krzhizevski".
          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Re: Could you have spelled Laodicean?

Originally posted by gh
            Then you might have beaten other 8th-graders to win the national spelling bee!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 17SQGB.DTL
            I could have spelled Laodicean. Many years of Sunday school and Christian school under my belt.

However, I definitely would have missed amarevole, avalement, geusioleptic, axolotl, iliopsoas, and maecenas.

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
              Originally posted by mcgato

No American could get the spelling of Krzyzewski right just by listening. Everybody here pronounces it "shishevski" instead of "krzhizevski".
              I can get it right! But I have a little advantage. For the record, her attempt at spelling it on Sports Center yielded "Shishetsky" - she must have thought he was Russian and not Polish.

Comment

I read the Thomas Hardy novel, along with all of his other novels, 20 years ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Laodicean-Penguin ... 0140435069

Comment

Actually, it rhymes with Superman's old nemesis Mr. Mxyzptlk, which as Wiki tells us, is pronounced mɪksˈjɛzpɪtlɪk.

Comment

Originally posted by rasb
                    I caught a brief interview with the winner on CNN this morning.
                    What a bright, wonderful, inspirational young woman... She talked about helping to coach her younger sister in spelling in the future, about her plans to become a neuro-surgeon, and about her violin-playing. As I suspect we all feel, I hoped she was still taking time to be a "kid", but she certainly seemed grounded and brilliant and involved. You go, girl !!!
                    I just caught an interview with her and you're absolutely right. If you close your eyes and listen to her, you would never think she was only 13 years old. She reminds me of Casey Knowles, Hillary Clinton's 3 A.M. girl. I can't help but think that girls like this must find boys their own age such a bore.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow

Actually, it rhymes with Superman's old nemesis Mr. Mxyzptlk, which as Wiki tells us, is pronounced mɪksˈjɛzpɪtlɪk.
                      Now spell it backwards!

cman :wink:

Comment

Becca, you will have your coaching credential yanked if you can't spell iliopsoas!

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                          Becca, you will have your coaching credential yanked if you can't spell iliopsoas!
                          H-I-P-F-L-E-X-O-R

Comment

Shishevski is the correct pronunciation

Comment

Originally posted by bambam
                              Shishevski is the correct pronunciation
                              Powell might disagree :wink: .
                              "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Working...
                              X