X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Dietmar239

• Dietmar239
    replied
    Being a minister, I've become very accustomed to Laodicea.

Leave a comment:

• tlb747

• tlb747
    replied
    Re: Could you have spelled Laodicean?

Originally posted by polevaultpower
    Originally posted by gh
    Then you might have beaten other 8th-graders to win the national spelling bee!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 17SQGB.DTL
    I could have spelled Laodicean.
    I spelled that word correctly when Sports Center had a preview of the word. Honestly, I thought the word was a little easy to spell for the championship.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman

• tandfman
    replied
    The future of the spelling bee?

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/too ... 282009.jpg

Leave a comment:

• gh
    Administrator

• gh
    replied

Originally posted by polevaultpower
    [...
    However, I definitely would have missed amarevole, avalement, geusioleptic, axolotl, iliopsoas, and maecenas.
    Anybody who grew up reading Mad in the '50s would have no problem with axolotl.

Leave a comment:

• bambam

• bambam
    replied
    Originally posted by Pego
    Originally posted by bambam
    No American could get the spelling of Krzyzewski right just by listening. Everybody here pronounces it "shishevski" instead of "krzhizevski".
    Shishevski is the correct pronunciation
    Powell might disagree :wink: .
    Doesn't matter - that's how he (Krzyzewski) pronounces it.

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    Administrator

• polevaultpower
    replied
    Originally posted by gm
    Becca, you will have your coaching credential yanked if you can't spell iliopsoas!
    Yeah I've taken enough anatomy/physiology/kineseology/coaching education classes that I should have known that one, but I am pretty sure if someone had asked me how to spell it I would have failed.

Leave a comment:

• catson52

• catson52
    replied

Originally posted by gh
    Then you might have beaten other 8th-graders to win the national spelling bee!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 17SQGB.DTL

For next year's final question they ought simply to use the name of this year's winner: Kavya Shivashankar :-)
    Note for brilliant Western minds. The winner's name is spelled phonetically in English. Unlike Polish, Hungarian, and various other "European" names.

Leave a comment:

• Pego

• Pego
    replied
    Originally posted by bambam
    No American could get the spelling of Krzyzewski right just by listening. Everybody here pronounces it "shishevski" instead of "krzhizevski".
    Powell might disagree :wink: .

Leave a comment:

• bambam

• bambam
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bambam

• bambam
    replied
    Originally posted by gm
    Becca, you will have your coaching credential yanked if you can't spell iliopsoas!
    H-I-P-F-L-E-X-O-R

Leave a comment:

• gm

• gm
    replied

Leave a comment:

• cullman

• cullman
    replied
    Originally posted by Marlow

Actually, it rhymes with Superman's old nemesis Mr. Mxyzptlk, which as Wiki tells us, is pronounced mɪksˈjɛzpɪtlɪk.
    Now spell it backwards!

cman :wink:

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by rasb
    I caught a brief interview with the winner on CNN this morning.
    What a bright, wonderful, inspirational young woman... She talked about helping to coach her younger sister in spelling in the future, about her plans to become a neuro-surgeon, and about her violin-playing. As I suspect we all feel, I hoped she was still taking time to be a "kid", but she certainly seemed grounded and brilliant and involved. You go, girl !!!
    I just caught an interview with her and you're absolutely right. If you close your eyes and listen to her, you would never think she was only 13 years old. She reminds me of Casey Knowles, Hillary Clinton's 3 A.M. girl. I can't help but think that girls like this must find boys their own age such a bore.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow

• Marlow
    replied

Actually, it rhymes with Superman's old nemesis Mr. Mxyzptlk, which as Wiki tells us, is pronounced mɪksˈjɛzpɪtlɪk.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary

• Conor Dary
    replied
    I read the Thomas Hardy novel, along with all of his other novels, 20 years ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Laodicean-Penguin ... 0140435069

Leave a comment:

Working...
X