Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The USA, Bully of the Sports World

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Jnathletics
    replied
    Here is Florence Italy's original football game

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vivRVyg_cks

    I've seen it has gotten so bad they cancelled it for a couple of years. The Red team is cheering after the blue team took a shot as a team gets a 1/2 of a point when the other team miss over the goal.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp2XHSz3UeE

    More recent games don't even look like they care about the ball anymore. :roll:


    The end of this one has some scenes of a game actually being played.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsRqSNSjy3E&NR=1

    Leave a comment:


  • Daisy
    replied
    Originally posted by Marlow
    Originally posted by Daisy
    Mob football, a descendant of the modern game, stormed into England around the 12th Century
    I am really, REALLY confused by that sentence. Obviously it was written prior to the 12th Century, but how did they know it would develop into 'mob football'?
    :?: :?: :?: :?: ( )
    Good catch , I didn't notice that.

    Leave a comment:


  • cacique
    replied
    Originally posted by BillVol
    This is why it's the most popular sport in the world. Backwater, third-world countries can appear to compete with anyone... In no other sport, activity, contest, etc., can Costa Rica compete with the United States. This is soccer. Great, skilled athletes, but the dynamics of the sport make it somewhat of a joke.
    of course, we had to have a post to justify the title of the thread.

    the US bullied by other countries? you people should follow so-called team handball and then you'll weep...

    Leave a comment:


  • AthleticsInBritain
    replied
    Originally posted by Pego
    King Henry VIII, however, is believed to have been a keen player.
    Source
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqtd7LOoRVM[/quote]


    Who'd dare to tackle him?! :shock:[/quote]

    Only the King of France apparently, when they had a wrestling match in Calais not long after King Henry became king.

    Leave a comment:


  • Pego
    replied
    Originally posted by Daisy
    Originally posted by Jnathletics
    But my kids tell me of others, during soccer games, picking up the ball, throwing it (not the goalie) or kicking throw-ins, etc...
    Sounds like its going back to its roots as a free for all.

    Mob football, a descendant of the modern game, stormed into England around the 12th Century and caught on to such an extent it was banned by Royal decree by many kings and queens. It was a violent game in which “murder and manslaughter” were allegedly the only barriers to transporting the ball to village ends. King Henry VIII, however, is believed to have been a keen player.
    Source
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqtd7LOoRVM

    Who'd dare to tackle him?! :shock:

    Leave a comment:


  • Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by Daisy
    Mob football, a descendant of the modern game, stormed into England around the 12th Century
    I am really, REALLY confused by that sentence. Obviously it was written prior to the 12th Century, but how did they know it would develop into 'mob football'?
    :?: :?: :?: :?: ( )

    Leave a comment:


  • AthleticsInBritain
    replied
    Originally posted by Daisy
    Sounds like its going back to its roots as a free for all.

    Mob football, a descendant of the modern game, stormed into England around the 12th Century and caught on to such an extent it was banned by Royal decree by many kings and queens. It was a violent game in which “murder and manslaughter” were allegedly the only barriers to transporting the ball to village ends. King Henry VIII, however, is believed to have been a keen player.

    Source
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqtd7LOoRVM
    Ahhh, it hasn't changed much, has it?

    Leave a comment:


  • Daisy
    replied
    Originally posted by Jnathletics
    But my kids tell me of others, during soccer games, picking up the ball, throwing it (not the goalie) or kicking throw-ins, etc...
    Sounds like its going back to its roots as a free for all.

    Mob football, a descendant of the modern game, stormed into England around the 12th Century and caught on to such an extent it was banned by Royal decree by many kings and queens. It was a violent game in which “murder and manslaughter” were allegedly the only barriers to transporting the ball to village ends. King Henry VIII, however, is believed to have been a keen player.

    Source
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqtd7LOoRVM

    Leave a comment:


  • Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by Jnathletics
    picking up the ball, throwing it (not the goalie)
    Quite natural response. A lot of Americans think you can use your hands in FOOTball!!! :twisted:

    Leave a comment:


  • Jnathletics
    replied
    Originally posted by BillVol
    Originally posted by Daisy
    -- and not enough letting kids play soccer, unsupervised, in the streets. In the streets is where you develop the creativity and toughness that gives you that slightest of edge that makes the difference in soccer. BUT where do you ever see American kids voluntarily playing soccer on their own. It just doesn't happen here in this country that often.
    It's becoming the game of choice at recess in the elementary school my kids go to. Although, the way kids play today has me baffled. (Leaving me to believe unsupervised is not beneficial to anyone's game.) The stories my kids tell me, leaves the impression that kids don't understand the rules of the game. All the coaching and leagues and kids don't seem to be picking up the rules of the games. My childhood days on the playground were filled with arguments but the rules were clearly known to all. Arguments were whether you did something or not, like the ball was fair/foul or out-of-bounds or dropped/caught, etc... But my kids tell me of others, during soccer games, picking up the ball, throwing it (not the goalie) or kicking throw-ins, etc... Things that are clearly not within the rules. The gotta win mentality has overtaken the rules of the game. So it seems that most kids today need to be supervised.

    Leave a comment:


  • BillVol
    replied
    Originally posted by Daisy
    So what's the problem? For me I see to many drills and not enough actual 'kick around'.
    This has been my pet peeve on US soccer for a long time. Too many coaches, too many orange cones, too many practice vests, too much politics -- and not enough letting kids play soccer, unsupervised, in the streets. In the streets is where you develop the creativity and toughness that gives you that slightest of edge that makes the difference in soccer. BUT where do you ever see American kids voluntarily playing soccer on their own. It just doesn't happen here in this country that often.

    Leave a comment:


  • Taliban
    replied
    Originally posted by Marlow
    Originally posted by Taliban
    drop the arrogance and seek foreign help. Look at gymnastics.
    Bora, Bora, Bora! He tried and failed, and he was one of the best. No diss to marknhj (ha!), but Ami youth soccer thinks that English soccer coaches are the be-all, end-all and bring them over here in droves. What happens is that we get the left-overs from Limey footie and they really can't cope with what they are presented here. Of the dozen or so I've worked with, I considered 2 of them on a par with the top-tier Ami coaches I've worked with. The Brazilians and Argentines who come here, however, usually ARE the real deal. I (and my players) learned more in one year from a Bzl asst coach we brought in, than my other 30 years of coaching and playing.
    That's amazing! My suggestion would have been to seek help from S. America. Isn't diversity great!

    Leave a comment:


  • Daisy
    replied
    Originally posted by Marlow
    Having them scrimmage with certain 'emphases' (2-touch, no passing till you've beaten a man, 5 passes before a shot, etc.) is the BEST way to learn the game IMO.
    Sounds like you're on the right track. Still, playing just plain pick-up helps a lot, especially with regard to spatial awareness and the speed of the game. That's how most kids in the world get their football instinct.

    Leave a comment:


  • Pego
    replied
    Originally posted by Marlow
    Originally posted by Taliban
    drop the arrogance and seek foreign help. Look at gymnastics.
    Bora, Bora, Bora! He tried and failed, and he was one of the best. No diss to marknhj (ha!), but Ami youth soccer thinks that English soccer coaches are the be-all, end-all and bring them over here in droves. What happens is that we get the left-overs from Limey footie and they really can't cope with what they are presented here. Of the dozen or so I've worked with, I considered 2 of them on a par with the top-tier Ami coaches I've worked with. The Brazilians and Argentines who come here, however, usually ARE the real deal. I (and my players) learned more in one year from a Bzl asst coach we brought in, than my other 30 years of coaching and playing.
    I believe, in order to have a deep, quality program, you need both participation and somebody to emulate. In Europe and Latin America (other places, too) you have mass participation, but also weekend adult games to go to at every level of competition from the premier league to fifth, sixth or whatever number league in cities and villages. We have mass youth participation, but not the other component.
    Baseball has it all in USA, it is well organized and, therefore, prospers.

    My grandson is really good at both soccer and baseball. This year due to a scheduling conflict, he had to choose. It was baseball as a no-brainer.

    Leave a comment:


  • Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by Daisy
    So what's the problem? For me I see to many drills and not enough actual 'kick around'.
    Someone, somewhere in US Soccer once said, 'don't scrimmage - they won't learn the skills they need unless you DRILL them (which is semi-true, as in Coerver drills)', and everyone believed him. It took me about 10 years to get the courage up to contradict him and then my teams got much better. Having them scrimmage with certain 'emphases' (2-touch, no passing till you've beaten a man, 5 passes before a shot, etc.) is the BEST way to learn the game IMO.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X