Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mexico in danger of not qualifying for WC

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mexico in danger of not qualifying for WC

    http://www.concacaf.com/

  • #2
    They are in deep trouble. Obviously, nobody informed Trinidad, Honduras and Salvador that they have no chance of advancing.
    In Europe, a few biggies are either dead (Sweden, Czechs...) or on the life support (Portugal...).
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

    Comment


    • #3
      On a very sad note, Henke (Henrik) Larsson's brother was found dead yesterday in his flat in Helsingborg. The entire team is now in shock, though they found out at the end of the match yesterday.

      We lost on our national day, what would be USA 4th of july.

      Comment


      • #4
        Have to remember top three advance

        Costa Rica 4 0 1 12
        USA 3 1 1 10
        El Salvador 1 2 1 5
        Honduras 1 1 2 4
        Mexico 1 0 3 3
        Trinidad & Tobago 0 2 2 2
        And Mexico gets 4 of it's last 6 games at home and still has to play T&T twice. USA on the other had have 3 of their last 5 on the road and one of the home games is against CR, who just crushed them.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Jnathletics
          USA on the other had have 3 of their last 5 on the road and one of the home games is against CR, who just crushed them.
          It will look like two different teams playing when they met again in RFK in October.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Marlow
            It will look like two different teams playing when they met again in RFK in October.
            ... with 80% of the fans rooting for the TIcos. I'm hoping that the US has clinched a spot by then and the match is meaningless for them.

            Comment


            • #7
              meanwhile in asia...

              north korea has advanced. by tying with saudi arabia, both teams eliminated iran.

              iranian players wore green wristbands to protest election results at home.

              both koreas are in the world cup for the first time together.

              saudi arabia will play a playoff against bahrain. the winner will face new zealand for a spot in the WC.

              i think iran got the short end of the stick in their group (with south and north korea, KSA), which was much more competitive than the other group (japan, australia, uzbekistan, bahrain).

              Comment


              • #8
                Iran, North Korea and Saudi Arabia in the same group? Sounds like a bundle of laughs. Has some wacky pundit nicknamed it the Group of Death yet? There's always one.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Egypt beats Italy today, 1-zip! But this is football! Meanwhile, the US loses to Brazil, 3-nil.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by dakota
                    Iran, North Korea and Saudi Arabia in the same group? Sounds like a bundle of laughs. Has some wacky pundit nicknamed it the Group of Death yet? There's always one.
                    dude, the true federation of death wouldda been the iraqi soccer fed. under uday hussein, when players were tortured, beaten and even murdered for losing games...

                    things don't look good for los ianquis -- even if they beat egypt and brazil beats the azzurri, there's a huge goal differential to make up...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by cacique
                      things don't look good for los ianquis -- even if they beat egypt and brazil beats the azzurri, there's a huge goal differential to make up...
                      I heard last night the US needs to win 3-0 and have Brazil win 2-0 for the Americans to advance.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Jnathletics
                        Originally posted by cacique
                        things don't look good for los ianquis -- even if they beat egypt and brazil beats the azzurri, there's a huge goal differential to make up...
                        I heard last night the US needs to win 3-0 and have Brazil win 2-0 for the Americans to advance.
                        In most FIFA tournaments, the first tie-break is a face-to-face competition. If US beats Egypt, there would be a three way tie. Right now, Italy is +1, Egypt 0, USA -2. If USA wins 3:0, the'll be +1, but would have scored one more goal than the Italians (4-3 vs 3-2). In this scenario, I don't think a score of Brazil-Italy matters as long as Brazil wins.
                        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                        by Thomas Henry Huxley

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          the US beating egypt 3-0???? i'll eat a whole pirarucu when that happens...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by BillVol
                            the US loses to Brazil, 3-nil.
                            And it wasn't that close.
                            Here's my assessment of the US team: 20 years ago, we were 20 years behind the elite of the world.
                            Now, 20 years later, we are 25 years behind them.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Marlow
                              Originally posted by BillVol
                              the US loses to Brazil, 3-nil.
                              And it wasn't that close.
                              Here's my assessment of the US team: 20 years ago, we were 20 years behind the elite of the world.
                              Now, 20 years later, we are 25 years behind them.
                              Actually the US was playing quite well in the second half and hit the crossbar twice despite they received a red-card. And the feat of reaching the quarter final in WC '02 wasn't too many years ago, right?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X