Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American scores two for Italy vs US in soccer

Never thought we'd ever see an American play for the Azzurri in football -- much less score two goals against the USA. I wonder if Giuseppe Rossi is being accepted by the Italian public? My guess is, no way.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/10/sport ... .html?_r=2

Here is an article on him in Italian in the Gazzetta dello Sport, the famous Italian sports publication well known for being printed on pink paper:

http://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Nazionale ... 5220.shtml

Re: American scores two for Italy vs US in soccer

Originally posted by BillVol
    I wonder if Giuseppe Rossi is being accepted by the Italian public? My guess is, no way.
    My guess would be that if he's scoring goals they'll love him.

As an aside, Sporting Pinks are (were?) popular in the UK too. Came out on Saturday nights with all the days results.

Comment

I wonder if Giuseppe Rossi is being accepted by the Italian public? My guess is, no way.
      On what do you base that opinion? They accepted Fiona May with open arms...

Comment

Originally posted by marknhj
        On what do you base that opinion? They accepted Fiona May with open arms...
        Did she compete in football (men's, of course)? I didn't think so. Football is a whole different world than the other lesser sports in the eyes of the Italians.

Comment

Football is a whole different world than the other lesser sports in the eyes of the Italians.
          Italians generally do prefer their players to be "pure" Italians, but I think they've accepted Rossi, because not only are both his parents Italian, but he also chose to represent them from an early age in all the Italian youth squads from under-16 through under-21.

There was more of a fuzz made about Argentinian Mauro Camoranesi, who even after winning the World Cup with Italy in 2006 claimed he felt more affiliated with Argentinia.

They also dislike the Brazilian Amauri, who they feel is a opportunistic mercenary, because it became clear that he would choose whichever national team he had better chances at playing time, before he was even called up for either squad. (He did something similar when he wanted a transfer from Palermo and heavily flirted back-and-forward between AC Milan and Juventus, making the fans of both rival teams furious, before finally settling on Juventus.)

On the other hand some Italians seem to be more accepting of Italian-born Mario Balotelli who's biological parents are immigrants from Ghana, but who has been raised since the age of three by an Italian adoption family. He has declined an invitation from Ghana's national team and is currently playing for Italy's U-21 squad.

Italians find it extremely important that you feel pride in representing Italy & that you are willing to bleed for their country and they greatly disapprove of players who are motivated by any opportunistic or career-orientated reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Figaro
            Italians find it extremely important that you feel pride in representing Italy & that you are willing to bleed for their country and they greatly disapprove of players who are motivated by any opportunistic or career-orientated reasons.
            this is correct

Rossi begun to play in Italy since the age of 13..then moved to ManUtd
            he is considered for everybody Italian

different situation for Amauri that just recently showed interest for the Italian passport

btw..Italy U-21 just won 2-1
            Balotelli and Acquafresca scored
            Robert Acquafresca like Balotelli is italian born.. he has the Polish passport (his mother is Polish) and last year refused the call from the Polish national team

Comment

Working...
            X