• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maybe you'll never want to eat again

review of a new documentary on the America food industry:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 1833GH.DTL

from the lead:

<<Among the points that galvanized the filmmakers:

-- In 1972, the Food and Drug Administration conducted 50,000 food safety inspections; in 2006, the FDA conducted 9,164.

-- Cattle are given feed that their bodies are not designed to digest, resulting in new strains of the E. coli virus that sicken tens of thousands of Americans annually.

-- One in 3 Americans born after 2000 will contract early-onset diabetes; among minorities, the rate will be 1 in 2.

Kenner, a Los Angeles documentarian, says he did not set out to make an activist horror film. In fact, his original goal was to tell the story from the points of view of both organic and industrial food growers. But representatives of the 50 industrial food companies he contacted, including Monsanto, Perdue, Tyson and Smithfield, would not talk and, more important, would not allow their production practices to be filmed....>>

Where's Sinclair Lewis when you need him?

Comment

Eating is gross anyway, if you think about it. The solution is dont think about it.

Take the most appetizing meal you can imagine, now put it in a blender and blend until its a nice beige goo.

That is what every meal looks like in your stomach, a gooey beige blob thats drenched in stomach acid and saliva and it only gets worse after that. :wink:
      phsstt!

Comment

If anyone ever saw what went into sausage, Jimmy Dean would have been much poorer!

Comment

Worse than legislation?

Comment

The Omnivore's Dilemma is a good read. It has made me actively avoid corn for the past few years...

http://www.michaelpollan.com/omnivore.php

Comment

One must simply not think about eating, especially when going out to eat. We've all eaten our fair share of feces and saliva whether we like it and know it or not. :shock:
              You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter Brown
                The Omnivore's Dilemma is a good read. It has made me actively avoid corn for the past few years...

http://www.michaelpollan.com/omnivore.php
                I found Fast Food Nation a much better read.

I ripped through the first two-thirds or so of the Omnivore's Dilemma thinking this was one of the greatest non-fiction books I've read. I learned a ton about the business of food production I never knew, told in a excellent narrative style that made the book a page-turner. But then he went pig hunting and started to bore the bejesus out of me, and the mushroom hunt was even worse. I finally put the book down during the mushroom chapter, never to pick it up again.

Comment

Re: maybe you'll never want to eat again

Originally posted by gh

-- One in 3 Americans born after 2000 will contract early-onset diabetes; among minorities, the rate will be 1 in 2.
                  Wow... :shock:

That cant be right...

Can it?!?
                  The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by TrackDaddy
                    Originally posted by gh

That cant be right...

Can it?!?
                    I am equally skeptical.
                    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
                      Originally posted by gh

That cant be right...

Can it?!?
                      I am equally skeptical.
                      Not so much by me. JAMA just published a study about diabetes in China, it seems 10% of the whole population have diabetes and 40% have prediabetes; given the much higher obesity rate in the US, it isn't really that far-fetched to predict the numbers gh gave, is it?

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2013 ... -in-china/

Comment

Originally posted by Vielleicht
                        Originally posted by Pego
                        Originally posted by gh

That cant be right...

Can it?!?
                        I am equally skeptical.
                        Not so much by me. JAMA just published a study about diabetes in China, it seems 10% of the whole population have diabetes and 40% have prediabetes; given the much higher obesity rate in the US, it isn't really that far-fetched to predict the numbers gh gave, is it?

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2013 ... -in-china/
                        If this is even nearly the truth then the biggest nutrition problem facing modern humankind is our excess consumption of sugars and carbohydrates. We eat like brick layers, carpenters and marathoners but we sit around like royalty.

Comment

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/chobani-i ... 8C11094690

Comment

Re:

Originally posted by Cooter Brown
                            Sure puts a crimp in bourbon consumption.

Comment

Don't know exactly what age they use to define early-onset diabetes (and we're talking type 2 diabetes here, the kind usually linked to obesity, which more typically develops in middle age) but the numbers don't surprise me. I typically screen for diabetes by checking a glucose every one to five years in my patients (internal medicine practice), annually if they're obese and/or have a strong family history of diabetes, every five in skinny folks that exercise a lot, in between if they're in between. The percent of patients with mildly elevated glucose values, or "pre-diabetes", and with overt type 2 diabetes, seems to me to have increased significantly in the last 15 years or so. My partners have noticed the same thing. The word rampant comes to mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X