• Show
Clear All

• will gh lose his marbles?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/f ... 108732.stm

But who knows?

Comment

What do you mean, "will"?

Comment

The never-ending controversy over the Elgin Marbles that has been going on for 200 years now. The chances that the British Museum will ever give them up is on par with the Louvre giving the Mona Lisa back to Italy.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
          The never-ending controversy over the Elgin Marbles that has been going on for 200 years now. The chances that the British Museum will ever give them up is on par with the Louvre giving the Mona Lisa back to Italy.
          But Italy has no claim on the Mona Lisa. The painting was finished in France and bequeathed to Leonardo's assistant, who eventually sold it to the King of France.

Comment

I suspect that it's nearly inevitable that the Brits WILL have to return them. But it won't happen easy or terribly soon....

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
              I suspect that it's nearly inevitable that the Brits WILL have to return them. But it won't happen easy or terribly soon....
              I'm surprised the Greeks even want them back. The Victorians whacked off some important parts. :shock:

Comment

I actually studied this issue at Uni. The chances of it actually happening in the near future are close to zero. First there was the very patronising attitude that the Greek museums couldn't possibly look after them properly! :roll: But the real fear is that once we actually start giving back all the things we "collected" over the last 300 years we won't be able to stop and there'll be nothing left on display in the museums! Of course this would also apply to any museum around the world, most of which have objects collected less than scrupulously.

I did hear a rumour that the bits the Victorians chopped off were still in a bucket somewhere but it could well be an urban myth!

Comment

Originally posted by AthleticsInBritain
                  I did hear a rumour that the bits the Victorians chopped off were still in a bucket somewhere but it could well be an urban myth!
                  I'm pretty sure there's a whole bunch of them still at the British Museum in London.

Comment

Originally posted by dj
                    But Italy has no claim on the Mona Lisa. The painting was finished in France and bequeathed to Leonardo's assistant, who eventually sold it to the King of France.
                    And that is what I was trying to say. The Elgin Marbles ain't going anywhere....

The next thing will be Egypt wanting the Rosetta Stone back.

Comment

Just a couple of weeks ago the BM offered to loan the Elgin Marbles to Greece on the condition that the Greece would acknowledge that the BM was the rightful owner. They declined.

They ain't going anywhere.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/12/arts/ ... N_BRF.html

Comment

The next thing will be Egypt wanting the Rosetta Stone back.
                        They've been there, done that. Wiki sez:

In July 2003, Egypt demanded the return of the Rosetta Stone.
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_Stone

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                          I'm pretty sure there's a whole bunch of them still at the British Museum in London.
                          methinks Marlow needs a primer in British english, re "bits"

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            Originally posted by Marlow
                            methinks Marlow needs a primer in British english, re "bits"
                            That depends on whether you're talking about "bits of something" or "someone's bits". Either way, he's right.

Comment

I thought this was a thread about castration. :lol:

Comment

Working...
                              X