• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Let Steroids Into The Hall Of Fame"

(baseball story)

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/20/opini ... ef=opinion

This was news to me:

<<In 1961, during his home run race with Roger Maris, Mickey Mantle developed a sudden abscess that kept him on the bench. It came from an infected needle used by Max Jacobson, a quack who injected Mantle with a home-brew containing steroids and speed.>>

Based on comments by former Ranger's pitching coach Tom House that players used steroids in the 60s, this doesnt totally surprise me.
    The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Max Jacobson was the original "Dr. Feelgood" who treated JFK for his Addison's Disease.

Comment

Originally posted by TrackDaddy
        Based on comments by former Ranger's pitching coach Tom House that players used steroids in the 60s, this doesnt totally surprise me.
        I'm only surprised that I never heard it before.

Comment

As much Yankee fan as I am, 298 in Right Field is as Balco as it gets!

Comment

Originally posted by einnod23

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              Originally posted by TrackDaddy
              I'm only surprised that I never heard it before.
              http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball ... ouse_x.htm

House, a former pitching coach with the Texas Rangers and co-founder of the National Pitching Association near San Diego, is one of the first players to describe steroid use as far back as the 1960s.

He was drafted in 1967 by the Braves and pitched eight seasons for Atlanta, Boston and Seattle, finishing his career with a 29-23 record and 3.79 ERA.

House, 58, estimated that six or seven pitchers per team were at least experimenting with steroids or human growth hormone. He said players talked about losing to opponents using more effective drugs.

Comment

Originally posted by dj
                Awaiting an explanation of this reference . . .

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
                  Originally posted by dj
                  Distance from home plate to right field foul pole in old Yankee Stadium was 296 feet. At least this was the distance for more years than any other distance. (The field dimensions were changed from time to time.)

Comment

Originally posted by dj
                    Originally posted by dj
                    Distance from home plate to right field foul pole in old Yankee Stadium was 296 feet. At least this was the distance for more years than any other distance. (The field dimensions were changed from time to time.)
                    Thanks - that explains things for us left coasters . . .

Comment

And here I thought this code for T&FN's Los Altos mailbox of 30 years standing! (seriously!)

Comment

Originally posted by dj
                        Originally posted by dj
                        On the other extreme.....

457 in "Death Valley" + 60s ballparks + Bob Gibson height pitching mounds + Gibson, Drysdale and McClain headhunts = "Moscow Olympic batting averages"!

Comment

Working...
                        X