X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Segregated Prom?

http://tinyurl.com/lu59af

How is this legal exactly?

Some of these schools have separate senior superlatives, too (Most Likely To Succeed...). It's wild. Never heard of it outside of south Georgia. Probably goes on in Alabama and Mississippi, too.

Comment

Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. Law Dude??

Comment

As an adopted son of the South (well, the papers are still pending, on both sides), let me say there are still MANY vestiges of segregation round these here parts. But . . . in many cases, it's encouraged just as much from a 'black' perspective, as a 'white' one. A town like this thought little of it till someone complained and then it's WTF??!!. Hopefully, with a few more WTFs, this practice will go the way of the burning cross.

Comment

I do have a few practical questions, how such a thing can still be happening today.

Where do the Oriental kids go? American Indians? East Indians? Whatever other racial groups?

What about cross-racial dating? Can a black girl bring her white (or whatever other) date to her prom? The other way around? I am truly curious, how you can enforce such a logistical absurdity.
          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
            I do have a few practical questions, how such a thing can still be happening today.

Where do the Oriental kids go? American Indians? East Indians? Whatever other racial groups?

What about cross-racial dating? Can a black girl bring her white (or whatever other) date to her prom? The other way around? I am truly curious, how you can enforce such a logistical absurdity.
            ..because it's the deep south and oftentimes those in authority are the ones fomenting this nonsense.
            If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Originally posted by Dietmar239

..because it's the deep south and oftentimes those in authority are the ones fomenting this nonsense.
              Yes, bigotry I understand, but that does not answer my questions. There are other racial minorities living in the South now. There are instances of interracial dating. Which pot do they throw them into?
              "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Which pot do they throw them into?
                A very large cooking pot, brought to a slow boil in that neck of the woods . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Dietmar239
                  oftentimes those in authority are the ones fomenting this nonsense.
                  B-I-N-G-O. ML King made his famous stand in Birmingham, Alabama because Alabama had the most racist governor and Birmingham had the most racist mayor. There were civil rights statutes on the books. None were being enforced.

Comment

This has to be a joke?! Have we learned nothing? This can not stand in America. Again, this is not real? :x
                    phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                      This has to be a joke?! Have we learned nothing? This can not stand in America. Again, this is not real? :x
                      It defintely happens...one of the high schools I went to had segregated proms. Matter of fact, that particular school did not integrate until 1989.

Law suit? Doubt it...the parents' organized the proms, not the school. (At least according to that article.)

Comment

You only have to ask which prom does a Maria Carey look alike go to, to show how insipid the whole idea is. Maybe a panel of judges can determine how black she is, taking into account any recent suntanning of course! :roll: :x :shock:
                        phsstt!

Comment

Yeah, who would want to attend a prom that rejects Halle Berry?

Comment

Yes, bigotry I understand, but that does not answer my questions.
                            I would expect that its white and the rest. Although, it depends on who attends the black prom. There was an article in the NYTimes magazine recently and there were pictures from the black prom. There were a few white kids at the black prom.

Comment

The problem is, of course (and always has been), that someone with some 'political' clout has to complain before the problem can be addressed, much less redressed. These towns were 'OK' with things as they were, up till now. Shining a light on it (esp. the media spotlight!) usually causes the roaches to scurry under a rock, and then the clean-up can commence.

Comment

Working...
                              X