Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daisy
    There was an article in the NYTimes magazine recently and there were pictures from the black prom. There were a few white kids at the black prom.
    I was mistaken about the photo although that point was made in the text of the article. Here are two revealing quotes:
    When the actor Morgan Freeman offered to pay for last year’s first-of-its-kind integrated prom at Charleston High School in Mississippi, his home state, the idea was quickly embraced by students — and rejected by a group of white parents, who held a competing “private” prom
    All students are welcome at the black prom, though generally few if any white students show up.

Comment

If one iota of non-Causian "blood" make one an "other" , why doesn't one iota of Caucasian blood make one a Caucasian? :?
      I am Caucasian/Comanche/Choctaw/Creek and never had any problem assimilating into both societies, possibly because there were/are so many of us mongrels in the time and place where I was born and raised.
      I do not understand genetics. My tall, blondish, green eyed son is the spitting image of his German immigrant maternal grandfather. My petite, black haired , brown eyed younger daughter could be the poster Princess of an Indian pow-wow. Presumably, both have the same percentages of racial "genes"
      I know blue-eyed blondes who have more Indian "blood" that I and I know people with stereotypical "Indian" features who have less.

Just wondering. :?

Comment

I'm part of an inter-racial marriage and you would be surprised with the stuff out there that is still openly segregated. No laws of course, but community norms can be just as powerful. I honestly don't let that crap bother me and just get on with my life. It is sad that some can and won't change, but knowing the bigger issues at hand help me to cope.
        If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
          Presumably, both have the same percentages of racial "genes"
          Same percentage of paternal genes but not the same ones. So they do not necessarily have the same percentage of 'racial genes'.

You can't explain bigotry with logic.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
            Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. Law Dude??
            Lawsuits don't usually solve problems like this. Assuming it's a public school, and the prom is run by the school and/or held at the school, you might conceivably get a court to order it to be open to all. But then, as suggested by other posters, the whites can simply not show up at the official prom and privately arrange their own. Then what? You might concoct some kind of theory that would address that conduct, but in the courts that would have to hear the case, you're not likely to get very far.

If I were practicing law in rural Georgia (which I am not and never have been), I probably wouldn't waste my time and someone else's money trying to pursue legal remedies. They're very unlikely to be effective in situations like these.

Comment

Yep, Law Dude is correct, some things, right or wrong, is what they is.

Comment

Yep, Law Dude is correct, some things, right or wrong, is what they is.
                First- i'm going to the soul party because i'm black on the inside. Don't tell anyone.

Second -but not if any Engines are attending, sorry Lonewolf. I've seen enough cowboy and Indian movies to know what's what.

Third- i feel sorry for the racists. it must be quite hard these days keeping track of who to avoid., what with all the mixing going around. Is that a nice tan or do i want to run? Nobody cares about the plight of the racist. :roll:
                phsstt!

Comment

If one iota of non-Causian "blood" make one an "other" , why doesn't one iota of Caucasian blood make one a Caucasian? :?

One Drop Rule
                  The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

I am struggling with the fact that this could still be legal, even remotely so.
                    Of course I know the history and the reality in some of the (mostly Southern) States, but there must be a way to nail the people who are still trying to judge others on skin tone. Certainly, it would be possible to do extensive investigations on the background and contacts of such people, with the obvious possibility of uncovering various "hate groups". If not now, when ?

Comment

I am Caucasian/Comanche/Choctaw/Creek
                      Jeeez - they let ANYBODY post in this forum!! :twisted:

My blonde, blue-eyed children are 1/32 Cherokee and I WISH I had had the forethought to apply for NA financial aid in their college!!!! :twisted: :twisted:

Comment

Personally, I believe there are legitimate reasons for segregating the prom.

And I'm black.

Potential preferences/differences in...

Music, food, dress, conversation, location, politics, religion, etc.

Of course we would all like to believe that we're able to be oblivious to cultural differences but thats not always the case.

Very often we put on a front at work to not only get through the day, but to make our pensions.

If you live in a TeePee, eat tofu, listen to blue grass and watch American Idol...

I aint mad at you.

Its just that I dont.
                        The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by TrackDaddy
                          Personally, I believe there are legitimate reasons for segregating the prom.

And I'm black.

Potential preferences/differences in...

Music, food, dress, conversation, location, politics, religion, etc.

Of course we would all like to believe that we're able to be oblivious to cultural differences but thats not always the case.

Very often we put on a front at work to not only get through the day, but to make our pensions.

If you live in a TeePee, eat tofu, listen to blue grass and watch American Idol...

I aint mad at you.

Its just that I dont.
                          Can we debate this seriously, TD, because I really disagree with you...
                          By the way, I am white, my son-in-law and new grandson are of mixed race, (his name is Kanye, just so you know), and my adopted son from my second marriage is also of mixed race, mostly Hispanic from Mexico.
                          And I like tenting, have never (and will never) try tofu, love blue grass, never watch American Idol, and have been friends with most of the Canadian track/field athletes of all races over the past several decades. May I suggest that we share, more than we differ?

Comment

Originally posted by rasb
                            Can we debate this seriously, TD, because I really disagree with you... May I suggest that we share, more than we differ?
                            Well put.

Comment

Funny you say that, TD. Some influential black leaders here in town have said recently that they wish they could do away with bussing because it is tearing apart their communities. It is also hurting, they feel, the atmosphere of the old black schools.

Comment

Is that a nice tan or do i want to run? Nobody cares about the plight of the racist.
                                Quote of the week! (At least)
                                You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Working...
                                X