Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TrackDaddy
    If you live in a TeePee, eat tofu, listen to blue grass and watch American Idol...
    I dont do any of these. Does that make me something? I am curious.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Personally, I believe there are legitimate reasons for segregating the prom.
      But if you read the nytimes articles it is clear that the black kids, at least those interviewed, would have enjoyed being with their white friends at the prom.

Comment

And in Louisiana they still play the "Dixie World Series" for little leaguers who don't want to play against the black kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
          But if you read the nytimes articles it is clear that the black kids, at least those interviewed, would have enjoyed being with their white friends at the prom.
          could you ever imagine any other kind of black kid the nytimes would have interviewed?

this from a fan that many years ago would have been invited to the black prom.
          ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Originally posted by rasb

And I'm black.
            Can we debate this seriously, TD, because I really disagree with you...
            By the way, I am white, my son-in-law and new grandson are of mixed race, (his name is Kanye, just so you know), and my adopted son from my second marriage is also of mixed race, mostly Hispanic from Mexico.
            And I like tenting, have never (and will never) try tofu, love blue grass, never watch American Idol, and have been friends with most of the Canadian track/field athletes of all races over the past several decades. May I suggest that we share, more than we differ?
            rasb

I agree that we share more than we differ.

But a prom is a dance that includes music and food preferences, for example.

Besides...not everyone shares the common ground culturally that you do with most of the country.

Yet.
            The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by BillVol
              Funny you say that, TD. Some influential black leaders here in town have said recently that they wish they could do away with bussing because it is tearing apart their communities. It is also hurting, they feel, the atmosphere of the old black schools.
              Bill

I was bussed in 1972 to an all white school in a really nice neighborhood.

The only thing it did for me besides making new friends was show just how poor and disadvantaged I was.

Comment

Maybe have two proms with an option for attending either?

I'm not endorsing segregation.

Just options.

Comment

C
                  Originally posted by Pego
                  If you live in a TeePee, eat tofu, listen to blue grass and watch American Idol...
                  I dont do any of these. Does that make me something? I am curious.[/asquote]those are only tongue in cheek examples, Pego.

Not meant to be derogatory.

Comment

C
                    I dont do any of these. Does that make me something? I am curious.[/asquote]those are only tongue in cheek examples, Pego.

Not meant to be derogatory.
                    I did not take it to be. No matter how many arguments be made for segregation, one thing remains clear. Separate is not equal. We live together, we play together. Of course there are cultural differences. Between races, within the race, between religions, within the religion. Between sexes, within the sexes. Differences among us are not any reason to segregate us.
                    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Here's a radical idea: have one prom, with an option for attending.

Comment

Trackdaddy's last two posts = informative and from the horses mouth. They also = ignored. :evil: Why is it so hard to hear from someone who's "been there, done that"?
                        You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

I'm not endorsing segregation.

Just options.
                          I think that is the point of their article. Why can white kids attend the black prom but black kids cannot attend the white prom?

Comment

Originally posted by scottmitchell74
                            Trackdaddy's last two posts = informative and from the horses mouth. They also = ignored. :evil: Why is it so hard to hear from someone who's "been there, done that"?
                            I respect his life experience, but endorsing segregation based on cultural or socioeconomic status is not an acceptable option in a civilized, multicultural, multiethnic society.
                            by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Ha ha... my first thought when I saw the title of this thread was 'Wow, segregated male and female proms??!! Now that's friggin' trippy.'
                              You see, I've been living in Asia now many years, and the country I'm now in is nearly 90% Muslim, so when I see/hear the word "segregated" it's always about men and women being segregated into different areas... .

Comment

Originally posted by scottmitchell74
                                I respect his life experience, but endorsing segregation based on cultural or socioeconomic status is not an acceptable option in a civilized, multicultural, multiethnic society.
                                Who says having options isnt acceptable?

I dont know if you've noticed but we have predominantly black or white nightclubs, etc in society already. And some schools even have gay and lesbian clubs.

Besides, I'm not endorsing segregation.

I made that clear in a previous post to Daisy.

I'm only endorsing options and the reason having them may be valid.

Comment

Working...
                                X