Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does running prevent living a long life?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does running prevent living a long life?

http://adventure.nationalgeographic.com ... ttner-text

Excerpt from article:

So how can you be really active and not damage yourself?

Do regular, low-intensity physical exercise. You get 90 or 95 percent of the benefit of running from walking briskly. We put an excessive emphasis on maximum cardiovascular exertion.

So running eight miles a day . . .

Is a mistake. It’s short-term benefit for long-term trouble. If you start running eight miles a day when you’re 20, by the time you’re 45 your knees and hips will probably wear out. The damage to your cartilage can’t be undone. Really hard exercise also contributes to chronic inflammation. And almost every age-related disease is associated with inflammation. Is it a bad idea to get a good workout? No. But I’d rather see people walking every day than running.

That doesn’t sound like much fun.

Keep in mind that this isn’t just Dan Buettner pontificating. This is Dan Buettner having spent seven years with four—and soon five—populations of people who live the longest, and you don’t see marathoners and triathletes among them. You see shepherds and gardeners and people who take simple walks. The life expectancy through most of recorded history was 28, and our bodies aren’t designed for eight decades of pounding. If you want a body that’s usable after 70 or 80, you need to think about that now. Maybe don’t do marathons or triathlons. I was a fanatic athlete. I’ve backed way down. My addiction was biking. Now I do yoga. I walk.

Re: Does running prevent living a long life?

Originally posted by BillVol
    [i]So how can you be really active and not damage yourself?
    Do regular, low-intensity physical exercise. You get 90 or 95 percent of the benefit of running from walking briskly. We put an excessive emphasis on maximum cardiovascular exertion.
    Jim Fixx (and others) proved that running is not a panacea for heart problems, but I also think it's MUCH better than just walking. I certainly don't buy his 90-95% figure. But, then again, I don't have a PhD in exercise physiology.

Comment

Genetics and diet are 99% of a long life. Walking fast up a steep hill will not only kick your ass but is all your body needs to promote a long life.

But im gonna run until.............i cant run. :P
      phsstt!

Comment

Re: Does running prevent living a long life?

Originally posted by Marlow
        . . . but I also think it's MUCH better than just walking. I certainly don't buy his 90-95% figure.
        As I recall the aerobic benefits of running vs. brisk walking are about equal over distance (ie one mile of running vs. one mile of brisk walking). Of course walking that mile takes longer time-wise. No doubt that walking is easier on the feet/legs/knees etc., but hiking is not without its share of appendage-damaging possibilities.

Comment

As far as I know, there is no benefit to life expectancy with exercising life style, over just active life style (with all other factors being the same, which of course, is an impossible condition).
          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Light running (10-13 minutes/mile) works for me...3 miles, 3-4 times per week with some good stretching and a well padded pair of running shoes. I used to be a competitive runner and I like the health/recreation running a lot better.

I'm 64, feel great and love the cathartic effects of the aerobic exercise. I do a 45 minute bike ride (also easy ) as cross training between runs. Works for me.

Comment

As an answer to the thread topic, I would say that sitting on a couch all day doing nothing might be a tad more lethal. :lol:
              If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

You get 90 or 95 percent of the benefit of running from walking
                Not bloody likely.

Comment

Originally posted by Friar
                  You get 90 or 95 percent of the benefit of running from walking
                  Not bloody likely.
                  What bloody evidence have you got?
                  "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                  by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

All things in moderation.

Life allows.
                    The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by TrackDaddy
                      INCLUDING moderation!

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                        Originally posted by TrackDaddy
                        INCLUDING moderation!
                        ..and moderation of moderation.
                        If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Track Daddy nails it.

I noticed something on my wife and I's recent trip to the UK...hardly any fat people...especially compared to the US. It occurred to us that it's because of all the walking people do. In London you have to walk to get places.
                          You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Originally posted by scottmitchell74
                            Track Daddy nails it.

I noticed something on my wife and I's recent trip to the UK...hardly any fat people...especially compared to the US. It occurred to us that it's because of all the walking people do. In London you have to walk to get places.
                            And everything is supersized here and we dont have 3 seperate meals like we use to. Eating is an all day affair, snack snack snack
                            phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by scottmitchell74
                              I noticed something on my wife and I's recent trip to the UK.
                              Scott, you Texan you! Only someone from the Lone Star State would use 'I' in the possessive case too. You people are so I-centric! :wink:

Comment

Working...
                              X