Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gh
    Then there are the problems associated with online streaming! Since the NBC feed anda the Universal feed on our front page went dead at the same time, I'd guess the presence of Roddick in the fifth set is causing an OD for the NBC servers.
    I guess you don't want to hear that it's a great 5th set(still going)

Comment

I think this one is destined to make the list.

Comment

I do wanna know, I do wanna know! I'm stuck at 5-4 Federer!

Comment

This may well be memorable but it bloody boring.

I'd rather watch the Women's Final at the French Open in '88.

Comment

Poor Zvereva never stood a chance!

I'm not enjoying the match that much because I find matches with two big servers just dull but having said that, I never dreamt it would be this competitive! I thought Fed would win in three...
            http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              Just in case you still don't know, Federer won the final set, 16-14! I'm glad I'm just a casual tennis fan--I didn't find it boring at all.

Comment

It wasn't boring, but the actual ending seemed melodramatic. Great to have Sampras in the stands to be part of this history-making day.

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
                  It wasn't boring, but the actual ending seemed melodramatic. Great to have Sampras in the stands to be part of this history-making day.
                  Hope some of you stayed with the NBC coverage. McEnroe just interviewed Laver (one of my early sports idols), Bjorg, and Sampras--great stuff.

Comment

Would have been nice. It was live on TV4, then we went to news.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Murphy
                      Originally posted by gh
                      Just in case you still don't know, Federer won the final set, 16-14! I'm glad I'm just a casual tennis fan--I didn't find it boring at all.
                      once the match was over the stream came back and I was able to watch the interviews.

Comment

I was glad to see RF win, but overall pretty boring tennis. Federer only broke Roddick's serve once!

The only really exciting moment was when Roddick had 4 set points in the second set and still couldn't win.

Otherwise if it went on any longer I was going to switch to the weather channel.

Comment

Originally posted by BillVol
                          For anybody from the Chattanooga area, the 1979 final was the best and most heartbreaking. Our city's own Roscoe Tanner lost in five sets to Bjorn Borg in the first "Breakfast at Wimbledon" -- the first-ever live broadcast of The Championships in the US.
                          Good choice, BillVol. I loved to watch Tanner. Until Sampras, best serve I ever saw. Completely one-dimensional player but he dared you to break that serve. Sad to hear about all his problems in recent years.

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
                            I think the end was a bit "melodramtic" because it was such a serving marathon. After all, how many running marathons are dramatic in the final 100m?

Federer simply outlasted Rodick. Maybe he wanted it more, maybe it was his experience, but it was certainly greater mental toughness.

So, in the end, I think Rodick actually played a bit better (breaking Fed twice and with the great opportunity with the four set points).

But Federer showed what makes him so great. It isn't only his ability to play the game at an extremely high level with unsurpassed consistency, it is his desire to win.

Fed is the GOAT.

Comment

A take by my current favorite sportswriter (columnist division):

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124683441029797765.html

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                                A take by my current favorite sportswriter (columnist division):

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124683441029797765.html
                                Fellow does turn a clever phrase.

Comment

Working...
                                X