Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tandfman
    But I really think that most of our top athletes would prefer a totally drug-free sport, and would eagerly choose that option over anything goes.
    Yes, along with the extremely prejudicial effect on their career in the face of a rigorous, effective testing program.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
      And I think you're wrong about athlete preference (unfortunately).

Back when athletes were much more open about talking of their steroid use, I heard no end of t hem extol the virtues of this that or the other. Never once did I ever hear anybody lament the fact that they "had" to take them, or wish they didn't.

To a body, they loved the fact that their marks were improving.
      Yes, but in those days, a clean level playing field was unthinkable--it wasn't even remotely possible. That generation may have felt as they did because the alternative was failure. So they looked for the best juice they could find--they had to. And they were not at all reluctant to talk about it among themselves as you described.

I really do believe that most of today's athletes would prefer a totally clean sport.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
        Originally posted by gh
        And I think you're wrong about athlete preference (unfortunately).

Back when athletes were much more open about talking of their steroid use, I heard no end of t hem extol the virtues of this that or the other. Never once did I ever hear anybody lament the fact that they "had" to take them, or wish they didn't.

To a body, they loved the fact that their marks were improving.
        Yes, but in those days, a clean level playing field was unthinkable--it wasn't even remotely possible. That generation may have felt as they did because the alternative was failure. So they looked for the best juice they could find--they had to. And they were not at all reluctant to talk about it among themselves as you described.

I really do believe that most of today's athletes would prefer a totally clean sport.
        I think that's a very rosy view of most athletes and most people.

Comment

Working...
        X