Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• movies that stand the test of time

this is an old-fart kind of thread, since I don't care about any movie made in the '80s or later....

It's sometimes scary to watch an old favorite movie for the first time in a couple of decades and discover it's actually a total piece of crap.

Tonite I had the reverse experience. Saw 3 Days Of The Condor for the first time in 20-odd years. Stands up remarkably well, so long as you stop laughing at the punch cards and Fortran-style computer programming.

What else is remains totally watchable? (among recent things I've watched that do not, Midnight Cowboy stands out)

Westerns aren't as popular today as they were fifty years ago, but "Shane" still is a well-made movie that holds up very nicely. For suspense, "Rear Window" is still a good film.

Comment

Well this thread wasn't intended for me :lol: , but I have seen a lot of movies and while obviously many stand the test of time, the one that really popped into my head when I read that was Dr. Strangelove. A lot of movies you can't just put on and watch anew without factoring in the history of the film, circumstances of the making, etc., but in Strangelove you can. Obviously those things play a big role in the film, but to me it is as if they are all contained within the movie itself, coming naturally as the film plays out, as opposed to requiring a deliberate reflection.

Comment

The movies that seem the most amateurish and corniest to me are the 1930s-40s preWWII movies. Some of those famous old actors and actresses were really terrible actors and the dialogue was even worse than most contemporary movies.

Comment

Saw Gunfight at the Ok Corral for the first time in years and on good equipment . I liked the look, score, stars of the film but the plot was substandard. The Clantons were dumb bastards.

Risky Business - Holds up as a classy teen sex comedy. Though Cruise's GPA and SAT's probably couldn't get him into UI, never mind Princeton.

Comment

Blow-Up does not hold up well at all in my opinion. Used to impress me but I now find it boring and annoying.

Chinatown is still great and so are "Double Indemnity" and "Dial M for Murder"

Of course, I never get tired of "Vertigo" and "Shampoo".

Comment

Casablanca.

Hopefully doing the right thing will never go out of style.

Comment

By far and away my favorite pre-1980's movie of all time (and actually still my 2nd favorite movie of all time, out of the 3,000+ movies I've seen in my life, most of which were post-1980 films) is The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. I absolutely love this film. It is phenomenal. What's crazy is that I generally HATE westerns, so for this movie, a "western" (though one could argue it is very very very very different in a lot of ways from a typical "western") to be my #2 favorite movie of all time, is pretty impressive to me.

Anyway, I would definitely recommend that anyone who has never seen this movie to give it a watch.

It was my favorite movie from age 8 all the way to age 20, and then finally got knocked off the #1 spot on my list a couple years ago when I was 20 when I finally saw the masterpiece that is "Oldboy" (a movie that was made after 1980, and thus doesn't count for this thread, unfortunately).

Comment

Love Condor!

All the presidents men- reviting, even though you know how it ends.

The Birds didn't hold up but Rear Window sure does.
                  phsstt!

Comment

Some of my favorite old ones.

Comedy.
                    Some Like It Hot
                    Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
                    Great Race

Drama
                    La Grande Illusion
                    Bondarchuk's War and Peace
                    Jean Gabin's Le Miserables

Mystery
                    Vertigo

Westerns
                    Big Country
                    The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (in spite of John Wayne)

Horror
                    The Fly
                    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

60s Movies that DO hold up

Great Escape
                      Butch Casssiday & tSK
                      Cool Hand Luke
                      To Kill a Mockingbird
                      Psycho
                      Bullitt
                      The Graduate
                      Dirty Dozen
                      Magnificent 7

60s movies that DON'T hold up

Lawrence of Arabia
                      Longest Day
                      West Side Story
                      Manchurian Candidate
                      (cool as it was!)
                      Mary Poppins
                      Sound of Music
                      (cool at IT was)

Comment

70s movies - yes

Star Wars
                        One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
                        Taxi Driver
                        Alien
                        Amerrican Garaffiti
                        Ricky
                        Jaws

No

Patton
                        Superman
                        Grease
                        Little Big Man
                        Hair
                        Love Story

Yes AND No :twisted:

Rocky Horror Picture Show

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow

60s movies that DON'T hold up

Lawrence of Arabia
                          )
                          Why dont you think Larry holds up? Too long? Cause everything about it is still great-score, acting, ect ect :shock:
                          phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                            Why dont you think Larry holds up? Too long? Cause everything about it is still great-score, acting, ect ect :shock:
                            Typically a film doesn't hold up because it becomes too melodramatic. We now live in the Age of Irony, and it's too 'straight'.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                              Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                              Typically a film doesn't hold up because it becomes too melodramatic. We now live in the Age of Irony, and it's too 'straight'.
                              Irony? I got you Irony right here! How Ironic that a Englishman came to lead Arab Muslims in military attacks? right? :?
                              phsstt!

Comment

Working...
                              X