This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TrackDaddy
    Who's the target audience for this type of movie?

Is it for people who think they're gay or who you'd describe as gay sympathizers?

Why would a straight man want to see a dick movie?
    :shock: ops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

Is it for people who think they're gay or who you'd describe as gay sympathizers?

It's about a gazillion times funnier than anything Adam Sandler or Ben Stiller could pull off if they worked for a billion years. Sometimes I wanted to poke my own eyeballs out but I can't deny it's been a long, long time since a film made me laugh so much.

Comment

Originally posted by EZSum

It's about a gazillion times funnier than anything Adam Sandler or Ben Stiller could pull off if they worked for a billion years. Sometimes I wanted to poke my own eyeballs out but I can't deny it's been a long, long time since a film made me laugh so much.
        Yeah... but my question was why would a straight man want to see it.
        The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
          The Watchmen's rather blatant exhibition of said appendage was completely pointless.

Interesting that the word "pointless" is used when discussing a penis.
          :]

Regarding "The Watchmen" movie, as I "pointed" out in an earlier thread, the use of the gradually diminishing uniform--hence, the revealed penis (and the much more-often seen male ass--how come no one screams about that?)--was a literary device showing the transformed scientist's gradually diminishing ties to the human world, and no better way to get this across than the shocking (to some) abandonment of the almost-global moral value of wearing clothes (as a demi-god, he controlled his body and environmental temperature, thus no longer needing clothes for warmth). Some people got so caught up in the details they didn't see the Big Picture.

Again, sorry you didn't get it, Marlow. Or if you did but simply didn't like it, fine. But in no way was the use of the device "pointless."

I liked "Borat"; haven't seen "Bruno." Will withhold my judgement until appropriate. Is Baron-Cohen truly funny or a one-hit wonder...? As with all entertainers, time will tell.

But I will remind those old enough to have lived through the Andy Kaufman era, these same type of comments were also used by people who either didn't get what he was doing or simply didn't enjoy it. And even today many regard Kaufman as either a genius or completely unfunny.

Comment

Let me ask you why a straight man wouldn't want to see it if they thought it was going to be funny and entertaining?

The only reasons I can think of are: homophobia, the belief that homosexuality is a sin, a concern that it may wake up a latent gayness in them.

Do you think only gay people enjoyed La Cage Aux Folles or transvestites, Some Like It Hot? What scares you about dicks?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian
              Again, sorry you didn't get it, Marlow. Or if you did but simply didn't like it, fine. But in no way was the use of the device "pointless."
              I maintain its pointlessness, for the very reason he covered up when he went to the meeting. Either is 'so far above' this need for clothes or he isn't. Why does he feel the need to be 'proper' some times but not others? He'd rather just offend the sensibilities of those closest to him? He doesn't mind making THEM uncomfortable? Pointless = makes no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by marknhj
                Do you think only gay people enjoyed La Cage Aux Folles or transvestites, Some Like It Hot? What scares you about dicks?
                I must say some of my best friends have dicks and i forgive them. It wasnt their choice. They woke up one day, looked downstairs and said, what the hell is that? Oh my God its moving, ahhhh...ahhhh. ...oh...oh....ohhhhh...ahhhh... Its a curse, you cant reason with it, it has an agenda. Make piece with it before it destroys you.
                phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                  I must say some of my best friends have dicks and i forgive them. It wasnt their choice. They woke up one day, looked downstairs and said, what the hell is that? Oh my God its moving, ahhhh...ahhhh. ...oh...oh....ohhhhh...ahhhh... Its a curse, you cant reason with it, it has an agenda. Make piece with it before it destroys you.
                  POTW....

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                    I maintain its pointlessness, for the very reason he covered up when he went to the meeting. Either is 'so far above' this need for clothes or he isn't. Why does he feel the need to be 'proper' some times but not others? He'd rather just offend the sensibilities of those closest to him? He doesn't mind making THEM uncomfortable? Pointless = makes no sense.

I don't remember the meeting you mention so I can't explain the context. The book was an ongoing series of flashbacks so maybe this was during one of those times. Or perhaps there was something about the movie scene that the powers that be wanted him to be clothed.

This isn't my opinion; read the book (it's great!). The movie tried to stay loyal to the book but any time you have a limited time factor (adapting twelve issues of 20+ pages of a comic in 2 hours) there are things that can't be done subtly and instead need to be rushed.

There was a point to it; you don't have to like the point they are making or trying to make.

Concerning the whole thing, I agree with markhj; why the over-the-top fuss about a movie showing a penis? Besides, there's no ambush involved here. You know what's going to be there from the ads, so just don't go.

????

Comment

Let me ask you why a straight man wouldn't want to see it if they thought it was going to be funny and entertaining?

The only reasons I can think of are: homophobia, the belief that homosexuality is a sin, a concern that it may wake up a latent gayness in them.

1) I asked you first.

2) A phobia is a fear. I was thinking more of nausea. Check mark on the sinful part. What do you know about latent gayness being aroused in straight men? How does it manifest itself?

3) I would imagine so. Again, fear isnt involved. Its just that I have no interest in seeing naked men. Since you do...explain please.

Comment

Do you have any desire to see them?

If so, they're more than just friends.

Comment

You know what's going to be there from the ads, so just don't go.
                          My point exactly.

I also asked why a movie about a guy gay playing with penises would interest a straight man.

I didnt think the question to be unfair. :?

But apparently I was out of line as I seem to have offended the gay...uh...I mean the straight......uh...hmmmp. :?

I made a couple of these jokers mad. :lol:

Unintentionally, of course.

Sorry for asking.

I withdraw the question and digress.

Comment

Do you have any desire to see them?

If so, they're more than just friends.

[Boy, these quotes are mixed up!]

Well, speaking as a straight man, how about the desire to see a potentially funny movie that uses real or simulated male nudity in attempting to achieve its humorous goals?

You don't have to be gay to laugh your ass off at the Bill Murray character carrying a huge faded red/now pink hose in "Caddyshack."

Comment

How about the desire to see a potentially funny movie that uses real or simulated male nudity in attempting to achieve its humorous goals?
                              I've been laughing at funny stuff for years but never to that kind of stuff.

Frankly, I never noticed a void.

Are you gay?

Comment

How about the desire to see a potentially funny movie that uses real or simulated male nudity in attempting to achieve its humorous goals?
                                I've been laughing at funny stuff for years but never to that kind of stuff.

Frankly, I never noticed a void.

Are you gay?

Uh, is someone reading this stuff to you...? Tell him not to skip sentences.

[above]
                                Well, speaking as a straight man, how about the desire to see a potentially funny movie that uses real or simulated male nudity in attempting to achieve its humorous goals?

If your sense of humor doesn't agree with mine, you're either humorless or you're gay.

Wow. I suppose you also object to the "Family Guy" cartoon show because the fat guy ends up naked for some silly reason every so often.

Comment

Working...
                                X