Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

British open

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: British open

    Originally posted by dal4018
    Originally posted by SQUACKEE
    Tom Watson found the fountain of youth on day one with a 65. What usually happens to the older guys is they get tired, see it is a sport! :P

    Looks like Tom is getting tired. 4 bogies today thru 6 holes.
    Jack Nicklaus won the Masters at age 46 he didn't show signs of aging.
    That's because 46 isnt old. :evil:
    The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: British open

      Originally posted by TrackDaddy
      Originally posted by dal4018
      Originally posted by SQUACKEE
      Tom Watson found the fountain of youth on day one with a 65. What usually happens to the older guys is they get tired, see it is a sport! :P

      Looks like Tom is getting tired. 4 bogies today thru 6 holes.
      Jack Nicklaus won the Masters at age 46 he didn't show signs of aging.
      That's because 46 isnt old. :evil:
      say it, not even in dog years :lol:
      on the road

      Comment


      • #18
        Agree. Jack's win in '86 is one of the more overrated athletic feats.

        Now, Tom Watson leading the Open after two rounds at age 59 is another story.

        And Tiger is projected to miss the cut. Tiger will probably go on to break all the golf records. But how would he have done if he'd had to play when Nicklaus did? Jack said recently that he had to play against Palmer, Watson, so many other great ones. Who does Tiger have to compete against? Nobody. But as Jack said, shouldn't he break the records first before he is declared the best ever?

        Comment


        • #19
          Ya got love Tom Watson and im rooting for him but i just dont see him holding up for 2 more days- god i hope im wrong. He's already shocked me.
          phsstt!

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by BillVol
            Agree. Jack's win in '86 is one of the more overrated athletic feats.

            Now, Tom Watson leading the Open after two rounds at age 59 is another story.

            And Tiger is projected to miss the cut. Tiger will probably go on to break all the golf records. But how would he have done if he'd had to play when Nicklaus did? Jack said recently that he had to play against Palmer, Watson, so many other great ones. Who does Tiger have to compete against? Nobody. But as Jack said, shouldn't he break the records first before he is declared the best ever?
            I would not call Phil Mickelson nobody. I don't think you guys realize how good Mickelson is because he "only" has 3 majors, but playing in the Tiger Era, that's not so bad. He a golf Hall of Famer for certain. Vijay Singh also is, and possibly Ernie Els although he appears to beyond his best now.

            Comment


            • #21
              bam, let's make a list of the players Jack had to face vs Tiger's opponents.

              Arnold Palmer
              Tom Watson
              Tom Weiskopf
              Johnny Miller
              Lee Trevino
              Greg Norman
              Tom Kite
              Ben Crenshaw
              Gary Player
              Ray Floyd
              Seve Ballesteros
              Hale Irwin

              Who else for Jack?

              Tiger -- Phil, Vijay, Els.

              bam, you have to admit that there is NO comparing the two eras. Tom Watson is 59 and he's whooping up on these kids. BTW, unlike Kenny Perry who choked at Augusta, Watson is a champion. He has that intangible. Watson can win this thing!

              Comment


              • #22
                WOW! Tiger did miss the cut! Whoda thunk? Certainly not the bookies!

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by BillVol
                  bam, let's make a list of the players Jack had to face vs Tiger's opponents.

                  Arnold Palmer
                  Tom Watson
                  Tom Weiskopf
                  Johnny Miller
                  Lee Trevino
                  Greg Norman
                  Tom Kite
                  Ben Crenshaw
                  Gary Player
                  Ray Floyd
                  Seve Ballesteros
                  Hale Irwin

                  Who else for Jack?

                  Tiger -- Phil, Vijay, Els.

                  bam, you have to admit that there is NO comparing the two eras. Tom Watson is 59 and he's whooping up on these kids. BTW, unlike Kenny Perry who choked at Augusta, Watson is a champion. He has that intangible. Watson can win this thing!
                  Look, I'm as much into historical comparisons and usually back up the older guys as much as anyone. I still think Ben Hogan is the greatest golfer ever. But much of your argument is flawed. Norman and Ballesteros never actually competed against Nicklaus when he was in his prime (1962-1980, 1986 is an aberration).

                  Of the others you mention, Palmer, Trevino, Player, and Watson are legitimate great, great players, among the greatest of all-time. Weiskopf has 1 major, Kite has 1 major, Crenshaw has 2 majors, Johnny Miller has 2 majors. Palmer won most of his majors before Nicklaus's ascendancy. Watson won the bulk of his as Nicklaus was winding down. Trevino and Player were concurrent with Nicklaus and were tremendous adversaries. But Tiger has Mickelson with 3 majors, Vijay has 3, Nick Price had 3, Retief Goosen has 2, Faldo (end of his career for Tiger) had 6, and he had a little bit of Norman at the end of his greatness. I think the only increased competition you could give Nicklaus would be Trevino and Player and some of the reason that Mickelson, Vijay, et. al. don't have more majors is how dominant Tiger has been. Its a chicken-and-egg argument? Are today's players less good because they can't win majors, or do they not win majors because Tiger is so good.

                  Remember, Tiger is usually chosen by the PGA Tour players each year as the most underrated player on tour, because the general public cannot actually appreciate his greatness unless you've played at that level.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Curious to get BAM's insight on Woods' monumental meltdown today. He was fine and in position through 7, then from 8 to 13 it's like he completely lost his game.
                    There are no strings on me

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by BillVol
                      bam, let's make a list of the players Jack had to face vs Tiger's opponents.

                      Arnold Palmer
                      Tom Watson
                      Tom Weiskopf
                      Johnny Miller
                      Lee Trevino
                      Greg Norman
                      Brian Theriot
                      Tom Kite
                      Ben Crenshaw
                      Gary Player
                      Ray Floyd
                      Seve Ballesteros
                      Hale Irwin

                      Who else for Jack?

                      Tiger -- Phil, Vijay, Els.

                      bam, you have to admit that there is NO comparing the two eras. Tom Watson is 59 and he's whooping up on these kids
                      He always seems to do well on the British links. Good to see him at the top again.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by guru
                        Curious to get BAM's insight on Woods' monumental meltdown today. He was fine and in position through 7, then from 8 to 13 it's like he completely lost his game.
                        Tiger has only one weakness in his game - driving accuracy. He has not driven the ball well for accuracy since 2000. Whenever he doesn't win or play well he seems to blame it on his putting, which is unreal normally, and when he is off, it is only outstanding. But I think his problems usually relate to his driving wildly.

                        I suspect some of his driving problems related to his knee problems which started to develop after 2000. They seem to be related. As I stated last year, with his knee problems, his knee will never be normal. I suspect he is still affected by it to some degree and it affects his driving. At the British with its very penal bunkers and rough, when he drives it badly there is no chance of recovery as there usually is on American parkland courses.

                        I still wouldn't worry very much. He has still played well this year and is either the greatest ever or right there with Nicklaus and Hogan.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by bambam
                          I suspect some of his driving problems related to his knee problems which started to develop after 2000. They seem to be related. As I stated last year, with his knee problems, his knee will never be normal.

                          His age aside, how impressive is it that Watson is playing as he is less than 10 months removed from hip replacement surgery?
                          There are no strings on me

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Tiger missed the cut?

                            There goes the weekend ratings.
                            The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by TrackDaddy
                              Tiger missed the cut?

                              There goes the weekend ratings.

                              With 59 year old Tom Watson leading the tournament? Don't bet on it.
                              There are no strings on me

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by TrackDaddy
                                Tiger missed the cut?

                                There goes the weekend ratings.
                                His knee must've flared up...where's Trainer Phil :shock: :lol:
                                on the road

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X