Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If...as our T and F body says...Track is the number two

Originally posted by RHBfactor
    If track is the number two popular sport in the world...
    Why do we not have a major summer circuit in the USA...the number one media and sponsors market in the world?
    I assume that soccer is #1. My son-in-law's brother was a star soccer player (NCAA MVP, San Jose Sharks, etc.) so I followed the sport until his recent retirement. Soccer is big in other continents, but it has never caught on here despite millions of children who play it, so I expect the popularity of t&f to stay about the same.

Baseball has dominated the summer sport scene for at least 100 years, pro football has dominated the fall sport scene for about 50 years because of TV, so unless a radical change hits the U.S. sport scene, I'm "grateful for the plateful" as my late father said.
    none

Comment

If track is the number two popular sport in the world...
      Why do we not have a major summer circuit in the USA...the number one media and sponsors market in the world?
      It's quite simple really, nobody but hard core fans gives a rat's ass about track & field.

(btw - Athiest, the Green Machine was Dennis Mitchell)

Comment

Hey folks, RHB's opening post was just trolling. Ignore . . .

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
          Hey folks, RHB's opening post was just trolling. Ignore . . .
          Just do this, RHB.
          Forget the whole big track meet, crowd, etc....for now....
          Get to those cities and others, find some major sponsors, connect to the School System and the Summer Rec. Centre programs, and run the "Fastest Runner in the City program-both male and female.....Take about 6 weeks, involve absolutely as many runners as possible, and keep the numbers up by offering semis/quarters./finals, etc....Just run the 100 metres, and offer a few age classes and fill up the Stadiums....The FAstest Runner in the City will sell.... Get a major media sponsor to start, so that the sponsors will get their money's worth...Pump it up.....American Idol stuff - you can do it....Yes, we can...

Comment

Originally posted by marknhj
            (btw - Athiest, the Green Machine was Dennis Mitchell)
            Not at that track meet it wasn't. Unless I am remembering it wrong (which is possible since it was like 12 years ago). In any case, the people around me were definitely muttering "green machine" over and over all around me before the race, and then Maurice Greene definitely lit up the field in the 200 right after that. It is possible that the people around me were muttering about Mitchell and we just thought they meant Greene.

Edit: It's also possible that it was the 4x100 and not the 200, but I'm pretty sure it was the 200. I just remember that whoever it was that my Dad pointed at BLEW AWAY everyone else that was running against him, and for all these years I always thought it was Maurice Greene that I was watching when that happened.

Comment

Mitchell was already well established as the Green Machine before upstart Mo Greene burst on the scene circa 1995, winning the 100m at the Texas Relays.
              I remember people in the stadium wondering aloud, Who? from Where?

Comment

Check out the November 1994 cover of T&FN:

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/archiv ... overs.html

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  Check out the November 1994 cover of T&FN:

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/archiv ... overs.html
                  Bitchen URL...this is hot stuff. hot stuff.
                  Wolfie Lives

Comment

Why?

Okay now that the point for RHB remains proved, that RHB and his wife Sally Mae are not going to find any meeets with 10,000 or more fans in the USA during the great summer months in the USA - where more marketing dollars are spent by advertisers than ever - readying for FALL.

Okay. My question is Why? I cannot buy the FALSE premise that weather is a factor east of Tombstone. WAIT...EVERY MAJOR COLLEGE FOOTBALL PROGRAM IS NOW READYING FOR FALL CAMP WHICH STARTS LATE JULY EARLY AUGUST. So we have boys in full pads working out...can we not have a track meet with men and women running in tights? Wait...what about a great night meet in Tempe?

Who is minding the store at USA track and field in organizing a major 12 meets summer circuit post NCAA in the USA?
                    Wolfie Lives

Comment

Have you started putting together your dream team of meet organizers, RHB? The clock is ticking! Get to steppin'! These meets don't put themselves on ya know!

Comment

WEll it is the world's number two sport

Originally posted by gm
                        Have you started putting together your dream team of meet organizers, RHB? The clock is ticking! Get to steppin'! These meets don't put themselves on ya know!
                        Well being the world's number two sport and being the strongest marketing nation in the world, it's a no brainer for Sponsors...I mean who would not want to sponsor the bringing in of athletes from around the world to a rousing crowd of ??????????????? at CAL? At Drake? At Houston? At Austin? ....I just bet that my A list of sponsors would gladly step up knowing that NO ONE WILL SHOW as far as fans AND other than Track and Field news...which is not a Daily...NO MEDIA WILL COVER THE EVENTS....but here are my majors...

Under Armour
                        Nike
                        Rivals.com
                        Asics
                        ICEE Corporation
                        Southland - 7-11
                        Books-A-Million
                        TNT.fireworks.com
                        FOX Television
                        WAL MART

There you go. Now, so the sponsors know the power of the number two popular sport in the world - we need from all of us good fans here, estmated crowd attendance

oops..I had to edit....let me add www.andersonnews.com

You see the Anderson family owns the biggest network of magazine and supplies to all the big box stores. Terry Anderson one of the brothers owns TNT fireworks....Anderson boys put out special sports pubs all the time...but the question is going to remain...the number two popular sport in the world...what is my fan base say at Drake Stadium or Tempe for a night meet...Summer IN Da City Tour...USA? Give to me estimated attendance at Drake Stadium UCLA that in 1978 had 18,000 for the USC dual.

Where are we now boys? And who is marketing the number two sport in the world out of is it INDY? Is that where we base USA track...INDY? USA track should be based in LA or NY...the two top media markets in the world. INDY? I could be wrong and correct me if I am...but we base it in INDY? Where is MLB based and the NFL?????????
                        Wolfie Lives

Comment

Re: WEll it is the world's number two sport

tl;dr
                          How is Trevor doing? Bucko? Tell us about your mile times back in the 1970s!

Comment

Re: I am looking for MAJOR track meets this summer USA based

It is Summer and I am looking to take a tour of the major big meets in the USA in major DMA markets. I mean the big meets, 15,000 or more paying fans of track and field. Track...or so they say on the major track website is the number two most "Popular" sport in the world. Well that aint true because we as a nation are the most prosperous media market in the world with major major players such as Adidas and Nike plus hundreds of products to endorse. I certainly don't see Jeremy Warner? Is that how you spell it? On billboards. So....

Here is my request for a Good Sam Club meet circuit for RHB to go on.

LA late July - major meet
                            Dallas - late july major meet
                            NYC - late july major meet
                            Atlanta - early August - major meet
                            Washington DC/Baltimore - major meet August
                            San Fransisco, major meet - August

The qualifying standard is 10,000 fans to be major. Sort of a standard like when Mater Dei faces Long Beach Poly in HS football.

My thanks for all of your help on planning my trip to the greatness of track and field in the USA during the prime months of outdoor competing.
                            I think you could be a 'Joe the plumber" for the NACAC's political bid to have a greater representation with regards to the events under the elite track events umbrella.

Comment

RHB, you have a great plan for watching track but you have the wrong continent. Everything you want is in a place called Europe, be happy it exists at all.
                              phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                                RHB, you have a great plan for watching track but you have the wrong continent. Everything you want is in a place called Europe, be happy it exists at all.
                                Hmmmm....so it is not the number two popular sport in the world? Be happy europe exists? Why, is there a reason it might not exist? Why the number one sports country in the world cannot have major Meets...aka USA has to be a disease of leadership at the marketing level in...wait INDY? So, all the kids that run track in the USA have no meets to watch? Go to? Recreate? Get excited? I think RHB has made his point.
                                Wolfie Lives

Comment

Working...
                                X