Clear All

• gh
    replied
    Check out the November 1994 cover of T&FN:

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/archiv ... overs.html

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Mitchell was already well established as the Green Machine before upstart Mo Greene burst on the scene circa 1995, winning the 100m at the Texas Relays.
    I remember people in the stadium wondering aloud, Who? from Where?

Leave a comment:

• The Atheist
    replied
    Re: If...as our T and F body says...Track is the number two

Originally posted by marknhj
    (btw - Athiest, the Green Machine was Dennis Mitchell)
    Not at that track meet it wasn't. Unless I am remembering it wrong (which is possible since it was like 12 years ago). In any case, the people around me were definitely muttering "green machine" over and over all around me before the race, and then Maurice Greene definitely lit up the field in the 200 right after that. It is possible that the people around me were muttering about Mitchell and we just thought they meant Greene.

Edit: It's also possible that it was the 4x100 and not the 200, but I'm pretty sure it was the 200. I just remember that whoever it was that my Dad pointed at BLEW AWAY everyone else that was running against him, and for all these years I always thought it was Maurice Greene that I was watching when that happened.

Leave a comment:

• rasb
    replied
    Originally posted by bad hammy
    Hey folks, RHB's opening post was just trolling. Ignore . . .
    Just do this, RHB.
    Forget the whole big track meet, crowd, etc....for now....
    Get to those cities and others, find some major sponsors, connect to the School System and the Summer Rec. Centre programs, and run the "Fastest Runner in the City program-both male and female.....Take about 6 weeks, involve absolutely as many runners as possible, and keep the numbers up by offering semis/quarters./finals, etc....Just run the 100 metres, and offer a few age classes and fill up the Stadiums....The FAstest Runner in the City will sell.... Get a major media sponsor to start, so that the sponsors will get their money's worth...Pump it up.....American Idol stuff - you can do it....Yes, we can...

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    Hey folks, RHB's opening post was just trolling. Ignore . . .

Leave a comment:

• marknhj
    replied

Originally posted by RHBfactor
    If track is the number two popular sport in the world...
    Why do we not have a major summer circuit in the USA...the number one media and sponsors market in the world?
    It's quite simple really, nobody but hard core fans gives a rat's ass about track & field.

(btw - Athiest, the Green Machine was Dennis Mitchell)

Leave a comment:

• Gleason
    replied

Why do we not have a major summer circuit in the USA...the number one media and sponsors market in the world?
    I assume that soccer is #1. My son-in-law's brother was a star soccer player (NCAA MVP, San Jose Sharks, etc.) so I followed the sport until his recent retirement. Soccer is big in other continents, but it has never caught on here despite millions of children who play it, so I expect the popularity of t&f to stay about the same.

Baseball has dominated the summer sport scene for at least 100 years, pro football has dominated the fall sport scene for about 50 years because of TV, so unless a radical change hits the U.S. sport scene, I'm "grateful for the plateful" as my late father said.

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    RHB, this strikes me as the PERFECT time for such an enthusiastic and well-connected soul such as yourself to pick up the ball and run with it.

I nominate you to get the ball rolling by planning, directing and implementing the very FIRST "Summer in da City Series" event. You can use that name, too, free of charge.

Keep us posted on how the planning is going! This is gonna be grrrrrrrrrreat!!!

Leave a comment:

• steve
    replied
    Re: weLL

Originally posted by lovetorun
    It looks like I'm saying Garry, Jon and Siegs contribution is a sad state of affairs...but Gleason's post was not there when I was writing mine. I totally agree with Gleason re: their influence. I love this site and message board.
    Well boys, I am looking to plan my summer around big meets,,,,,,20,000 or more in the west in the USA ....let's say I roll in a motor home...Good Sam Club....name me the major USA meets West of Tombstone?

boys, it's marketing, we have not had marketeers in track since the Frankens...the only surviving great meet is Pre and Penn...the rest are fan filled stadiums because of relationships to the athlete...NO ONE BOOKS A TICKET TO THE NCAA...
    like going to concert west or Al's tickets in Biloxi

MY PREMISE...we have a total lack of marketing leadership in track and field...the sponsors are there...the athletes are there....the products are there...but we have no one that links all three
    We have lost our momentum...the big MO...and its going to get worse
    He's caught us boys! Soon everyone will recognize that we don't have summer meets and there goes our #2 status. I say we form a posse and hunt him down. We need to shut him up before we slip to #3 or 4 or even (God help us) #5. Lets get our horses and start west of Tombstone!

Leave a comment:

• The Atheist
    replied
    I remember a back when I was around 10-12 years old my dad used to take me to track meets at Mount Sac every so often.

I think my three most vivid memories from Mount Sac, when I was a little kiddo were the following:

1. I was leaning up against the guard rail at the side of the track (probably wasn't supposed to do this, lol, but oh well) and Marion Jones was running a race in the outside line (can't remember if outside lane is lane 8 or lane 9, but whichever the outermost lane was, she was in that lane and it was RIGHT next to the fence that I was leaning on, there wasn't much gap between the outside edge of her lane and where I was standing). I still remember she had this funky hairdo where it was like she made a bunch of these thick spikes or bumps out of her hair using a bunch of rubberbands, very distinctive. Anyway, so I'm leaning over the fence a little right as she zooms by and I could feel a huge gust of wind slam into me right when she flew past me, cuz she was close enough to me that the air she was pushing by running at 20+mph hit me. I must have been leaning a little further over the rail than I realized, in my excitement, lol, oops.

2. I remember at one of the meets we had to leave earlier than we wanted to, cuz there was something we had to go to or do back home later that night, I can't remember what, but Stacy Dragila was vaulting at the meet, and the pole vault competition wasn't over yet when we were getting up to leave. So we are walking up to the exit, which, if I remember correctly was kind of elevated way up high off the track, so we were about at eye-level with the pole vault bar where we were standing to watch her do one last vault before we walked out the exit. I can't remember if it was a world record or just very close to one, but it was definitely over 14 feet (which at the time was a big deal) and everyone was like ooooh shit!!!

3. I also remember watching Maurice Greene run at Mount Sac in the 200m. I was such pretty young at the time, and didn't know too much about professional track (I knew more about college track than pro track at the time since my dad mostly took me to UCLA meets or Pac-10 meets when we went to meets, since he was a huge UCLA fan, and he didn't normally go to pro meets unless it was at Mount Sac, since we lived LA so of course we didn't really have any excuse not to attend a big Mount Sac meet.). So anyway, I'm sitting in the bleachers near the finishline and everyone starts murmering to each other about something about this "Green Machine" that was about to run. So I turn to my dad and ask him what everyone is talking about what this "Green Machine" is. So my dad points at Maurice Greene and says "That guy. Keep your eye on him." So then he of course just destroys everyone and wins of course, and I'm like "Whoa, that guy is fast!" Lol.

Leave a comment:

• RHBfactor
    replied
    weLL

Originally posted by lovetorun
    It looks like I'm saying Garry, Jon and Siegs contribution is a sad state of affairs...but Gleason's post was not there when I was writing mine. I totally agree with Gleason re: their influence. I love this site and message board.
    Well boys, I am looking to plan my summer around big meets,,,,,,20,000 or more in the west in the USA ....let's say I roll in a motor home...Good Sam Club....name me the major USA meets West of Tombstone?

boys, it's marketing, we have not had marketeers in track since the Frankens...the only surviving great meet is Pre and Penn...the rest are fan filled stadiums because of relationships to the athlete...NO ONE BOOKS A TICKET TO THE NCAA...
    like going to concert west or Al's tickets in Biloxi

MY PREMISE...we have a total lack of marketing leadership in track and field...the sponsors are there...the athletes are there....the products are there...but we have no one that links all three
    We have lost our momentum...the big MO...and its going to get worse

Leave a comment:

• lovetorun
    replied

Leave a comment:

• lovetorun
    replied
    It is a sad state of affairs...we are just used to the fact that the major track and field happens in Europe...all the big meets in California in the 50's and 60's were pretty exciting for me growing up, but now it's down to about zip.

But, if we could get some big meets going, they'd have to be in the Northwest or West in the summer...to avoid the heat + humidity.

Leave a comment:

• Gleason
    replied
    I was on the T&FN staff in the 1960s, but as much as I honor the memory of giants of our sport such as Bert Nelson, Payton Jordan and Vern Wolfe (who introduced me to T&FN), I prefer now. World Championships every two years, in person reports from people at meets such as NCAA & USAT&F and this message board are a vast improvement over the 1960s.

Credit must go to Garry, Jon and Sieg for the latter. With Ed on the business side, they are modern giants of the sport IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• RHBfactor
    replied
    If...as our T and F body says...Track is the number two

Leave a comment:

Working...
X