• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RHBfactor
    replied
    Originally posted by NCAA5000
    Gee, sounds great.

Based on those cities it could be call the 'Heat & Humidity Track Circuit' with the exception of SF.

To the best of my knowledge there isn't an outdoor facility in SF that could hold 10,000 screaming track fanatics for the 'Fog Finale'. The JC (City Coll of SF) might accomodate it.

BTW SF doesn't provide many elite track athletes ... this is not a slight to my native city, but it's true. Shannon Rowbury is the ultimate, latest exception! I guess Ollie Matson (Geo Washington HS 1948) was the best ... two medals in Helsinki .... lest we forget .... (OJ @ CCSF running the sprints / 440 Relay. OJ was part of a world record 440 Relay @ USC.)

I'm sure there are a few other elite athletes but they escape me now.

If CCSF can't accomodate the "Circuit" we probably ought to move back to the Cow Palace where we had some great indoor meets in the 1960s. In fact, they were outright fun!

Those meets included the "Devil Take The HindMost" Mile Run. On the 11 laps to the mile track, after each lap, the runner who was in last place had to drop out until the last lap or two when there were only two runners left!

And don't forget the Weightman's Relay ... it was great seeing Shot Putters hand off the baton to a 35 lb. weight man!!

But, in SF, we probably couldn't pull those events off. We have to be 'politically correct' and having a person drop off at the end of each lap provide stress to that 'victim'.

Even today, the agents wouldn't go for it. Well, how are we going to attract the "non-track" fan if we don't get a bit creative? Hmmm.

You know that the SF Indoor meets were going to be great when they were organized & managed by Track & Field News founders and staff; the put together great program with full page inserts from T&FN and even the Meet Announcer was from T&FN. The Cow Palace was annually packed throughout the 1960s.
    well at least someone chirps...shows you though...how low track is in the USA...someone is not minding the helm...

drake stadium sits empty at UCLA....name the meets there this summer?

Leave a comment:

• NCAA5000
    replied
    Gee, sounds great.

Based on those cities it could be call the 'Heat & Humidity Track Circuit' with the exception of SF.

To the best of my knowledge there isn't an outdoor facility in SF that could hold 10,000 screaming track fanatics for the 'Fog Finale'. The JC (City Coll of SF) might accomodate it.

BTW SF doesn't provide many elite track athletes ... this is not a slight to my native city, but it's true. Shannon Rowbury is the ultimate, latest exception! I guess Ollie Matson (Geo Washington HS 1948) was the best ... two medals in Helsinki .... lest we forget .... (OJ @ CCSF running the sprints / 440 Relay. OJ was part of a world record 440 Relay @ USC.)

I'm sure there are a few other elite athletes but they escape me now.

If CCSF can't accomodate the "Circuit" we probably ought to move back to the Cow Palace where we had some great indoor meets in the 1960s. In fact, they were outright fun!

Those meets included the "Devil Take The HindMost" Mile Run. On the 11 laps to the mile track, after each lap, the runner who was in last place had to drop out until the last lap or two when there were only two runners left!

And don't forget the Weightman's Relay ... it was great seeing Shot Putters hand off the baton to a 35 lb. weight man!!

But, in SF, we probably couldn't pull those events off. We have to be 'politically correct' and having a person drop off at the end of each lap provide stress to that 'victim'.

Even today, the agents wouldn't go for it. Well, how are we going to attract the "non-track" fan if we don't get a bit creative? Hmmm.

You know that the SF Indoor meets were going to be great when they were organized & managed by Track & Field News founders and staff; the put together great program with full page inserts from T&FN and even the Meet Announcer was from T&FN. The Cow Palace was annually packed throughout the 1960s.

Leave a comment:

• Jerome Marrow
    replied
    If it was possible to "like" messages, I would like this one.

So true....

Leave a comment:

• RHBfactor
    replied
    Originally posted by RHBfactor
    Originally posted by gh
    rotsa ruck finding athletes who would really want to run in those cities at that time of year (meaning weather).
    okay...not LA? Okay....

San Fran? why not?....okay.....hmmmmm manhattan?

wait....miami....

out of the top 50 DMA markets in the USA...where are these meets?
    I hear crickets boys....CRICKETS...the number one media nation in the world...with California alone sitting as a top six nation in the world on products and development...are you telling RHB we have no major 20,000 plus meets in the USA this summer? It has to be impossible. We have major hotels...Hilton, we have major suppliers such as Red Bull, Volcom, Quicksilver, Chevron, Pepsi, Anheuser Busch Inc, Nike...wait, I know this has to be false...are you telling me so far in the major nation of media in the world...the home of Jim Lampley...there are no major meets post NCAA's or Pre in the USA - the greatest nation in the world on marketing?

Cmon, this is the number two sport in the world...so they say on the T and F website....

Who are our top major media athletes and current commercials running for product endorsement on TV, Print, Direct Mail, or online....

Hard questions boys

Leave a comment:

• RHBfactor
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    rotsa ruck finding athletes who would really want to run in those cities at that time of year (meaning weather).
    okay...not LA? Okay....

San Fran? why not?....okay.....hmmmmm manhattan?

wait....miami....

out of the top 50 DMA markets in the USA...where are these meets?

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Leave a comment:

• I am looking for MAJOR track meets this summer USA based

It is Summer and I am looking to take a tour of the major big meets in the USA in major DMA markets. I mean the big meets, 15,000 or more paying fans of track and field. Track...or so they say on the major track website is the number two most "Popular" sport in the world. Well that aint true because we as a nation are the most prosperous media market in the world with major major players such as Adidas and Nike plus hundreds of products to endorse. I certainly don't see Jeremy Warner? Is that how you spell it? On billboards. So....

Here is my request for a Good Sam Club meet circuit for RHB to go on.

LA late July - major meet
    Dallas - late july major meet
    NYC - late july major meet
    Atlanta - early August - major meet
    Washington DC/Baltimore - major meet August
    San Fransisco, major meet - August

The qualifying standard is 10,000 fans to be major. Sort of a standard like when Mater Dei faces Long Beach Poly in HS football.

My thanks for all of your help on planning my trip to the greatness of track and field in the USA during the prime months of outdoor competing.
Working...
X