• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dal4018
    replied
    Originally posted by wineturtle
    Discovery Channel is running the Cronkite Remembers series as an 16 hour
    double marathon on sunday (26 july) 11am on.
    Always check local listings :idea:
    Wineturtle someone in a newspaper article said he tried to adlib a whole show and it lasted for about two days it was a complete shambles.

Leave a comment:

• wineturtle
    replied
    Discovery Channel is running the Cronkite Remembers series as an 16 hour
    double marathon on sunday (26 july) 11am on.
    Always check local listings :idea:

Leave a comment:

• dal4018
    replied
    Originally posted by Marlow
    60 Minutes was a tribute to him tonight. Tres, tres cool.
    I know I saw it very well done someday a movie will be done about him wonder who would kill to play him on film.Robin Williams sounds like him somewhat.

Leave a comment:

• Walt Murphy
    replied
    For those of you on the West Coast, the CBS morning news is all about Cronkite this morning.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    60 Minutes was a tribute to him tonight. Tres, tres cool.

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied
    Originally posted by gm
    I always liked David Brinkley the best. Don't know why, just did.
    I'd agree on Brinkley. Also thought he held sway over the best Sunday morning news show.

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    I always liked David Brinkley the best. Don't know why, just did.

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    You know who comes closest?
    Daniel Schorr

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    Television news is bigger and faster and more - but is it better?...>>
    That is an essential question that percolates throughout our culture. Now that we are eyeball-deep in an instantaneous access to an overwhelming amount of data, what have we gained without a wise interpretation of that data? Fewer and fewer analysts are able to sort through the data and make some relevant sense of it. Cronkite cut to the chase every night and gave us an intelligent summary of what was truly important - not what Lindsay Lohan had to drink last night. You know who comes closest? Jon Stewart - and he's just trying a get a laugh! :?

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    A nice appreciation of the quality of his work here:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 18HDAO.DTL

<<.....Cronkite's form of journalism was almost regal compared with what would follow him years later when cable news was left to fill 24 hours with repetitive, vacuous and embarrassing verbiage. Cronkite was of his time and that time was quaintly old-school, especially as it relates to the standards of broadcast journalism.

His death reminds us that, yes, time marches on, and technology and the rapid expansion of media were both bound to happen and necessary. But it also points up this sad truth: Are we any better off because of that expansion? Does the ability to go live to nearly any foreign country or local tragedy within seconds offset what we've lost since Cronkite sat behind that desk and fumbled in his pockets and toyed with his glasses while solemnly reading the news of the day? Television news is bigger and faster and more - but is it better?...>>

Leave a comment:

• dal4018
    replied
    Originally posted by LongTimeSubscriber
    http://kingdaevid.podbean.com/2009/07/17/walter-cronkite-reporting-the-john-f-kennedy-assassination-22-november-1963/

RIP Walter
    LTS this is what I'll remember him by the announcing of JFK's death. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Leave a comment:

• LongTimeSubscriber
    replied
    http://kingdaevid.podbean.com/2009/07/1 ... mber-1963/

RIP Walter

Leave a comment:

• mike renfro
    replied
    Definitly the end of an era. I'm pretty sure that Walter was the last of Ed Murrow's boys. I don't watch TV news (unless something really big is afoot, so I don't really know firsthand what the quality is like. From what I have read, no so tremendous. Cronkite had a good run, pushing 93 and only in bad health at the end. Ain't gonna be anymore like him.

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian
    I'll always remember how he eventually took a stand on the Viet Nam war once he believed it wasn't worth the effort anymore.
    And LBJ caved on it soon after Cronkite went on the air and said it was a lost cause. Coincidence? I think not. People trusted WC more than they did the President.

Cronkite formed his opinion after spending time in Vietnam.

Johnson's famous comment - "If I've lost Cronkite I've lost middle America"

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian
    I'll always remember how he eventually took a stand on the Viet Nam war once he believed it wasn't worth the effort anymore.
    And LBJ caved on it soon after Cronkite went on the air and said it was a lost cause. Coincidence? I think not. People trusted WC more than they did the President.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X