Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pollution and IQ scores

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090720/ap_ ... ution_iq_2

It's official, it's not your fault if you are a dumbass, it's pollution. Montana kids are smarter than Los Angeles kids. Better air up there.

I disagree. My contention is that dumb folks have more kids than bright folks, hence pulling the average down. But you must assume that parents pass on their genetic qualities to follow this logic.

I can't remember, is Al Gore a warmer guy or a pollution guy? I think he's a warmer guy and that is part of the problem. We gotta get him over to the pollution side to get our brain power up. Or, as a pretty smart guy, he should start breeding like a mink to up our IQ scores.

Political references removed by author to prevent being shot by GH.

Re: Pollution and IQ scores

They could be on to something. When measuring the quantitative contributions of genetics or environment to IQ, most studies point to the environment as having a larger contribution. Pollution definitely counts as a major environmental element. As do the books on your parents shelf.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
      As do the books on your parents shelf.
      Heck, I guess I should start breeding - my kids would be geniuses . . .

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
        As do the books on your parents shelf.
        Heck, I guess I should start breeding - my kids would be geniuses . . .
        Exactly.

Comment

I'm confident that mrs. bad hammy will be thrilled to hear about our change in plans . . .

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
            I'm confident that mrs. bad hammy will be thrilled to hear about our change in plans . . .
            Ham- you are way too smart to have kids but it doesnt take genius to balk at poop making need machines that morph into pimple faced teenagers who end up hating you.
            phsstt!

Comment

most studies point to the environment as having a larger contribution.
              REALLY?! Most studies I've read, say just the opposite (not that I could cite any right now).

Comment

They could be on to something. When measuring the quantitative contributions of genetics or environment to IQ, most studies point to the environment as having a larger contribution. Pollution definitely counts as a major environmental element. As do the books on your parents shelf.
                I flat out don't believe that. Just one point. By-and-large, people with higher IQ's are better educated, ergo higher socio-economic class, ergo better environment for the kids.

Isn't it funny, bad hammy pretends he could still do some damage. Yea, right :wink: .
                "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
                  I flat out don't believe that. Just one point. By-and-large, people with higher IQ's are better educated, ergo higher socio-economic class, ergo better environment for the kids.

Isn't it funny, bad hammy pretends he could still do some damage. Yea, right :wink: .
                  Are you suggesting its more than his hammy that doesn't work?
                  phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
                    I flat out don't believe that.
                    Many studies calculate the probability of a contribution from a genetic component at about 0.4 (heritability). Take all the studies and you find some as high as 0.8. The major problem is that many of the assumptions in these studies are flawed. The other problem is that there are too few data points.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Slocombe
                      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090720/ap_on_he_me/us_med_pollution_iq_2

It's official, it's not your fault if you are a dumbass, it's pollution. Montana kids are smarter than Los Angeles kids. Better air up there.

I disagree. My contention is that dumb folks have more kids than bright folks, hence pulling the average down. But you must assume that parents pass on their genetic qualities to follow this logic.

I can't remember, is Al Gore a warmer guy or a pollution guy? I think he's a warmer guy and that is part of the problem. We gotta get him over to the pollution side to get our brain power up. Or, as a pretty smart guy, he should start breeding like a mink to up our IQ scores.

I love it when our government can fix all our problems. I may become a democrat.
                      One more like this and you're on vacation.

Comment

Working...
                      X