X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dakota
    Originally posted by gh

Since it's an English newspaper not always renowned for non-sensationalizing, it's possible you might.
    The Guardian isn't renowned for sensationalism. You must have it mixed up with The Sun or The Mirror or The Daily Mail or something.,,,
    Not renowned by English standards, perhaps, but we recently shut down a recycled thread from the '03 Guardian which irresponsibly misrepresented a ton of facts about an old doping case. Trust me, I know the people involved, and by the standards accepted on this board, the Guardian prints a lot of shit. (in addition to good reportage, in all fairness)

Comment

Originally posted by guru
      Finally, he comes out and provides ID, and as the officers leave the house to go to their cruisers to check his ID to the house, he follows them out, now really annoyed and belligerent. Finally, the police have had enough and arrest Mr. Gates.
      He wasn't driving, so there was no need to "radio in" and check his license. You look at the address....same. You look at the photo...its the guy in front of you.

Comment

Given greater Boston's history of intolerance, my guess is a white guy walks.

Comment

This individual was shot by cops at his parent's home:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/01/08/bas ... index.html

Comment

Right or wrong, in any such altercation the odds favor the guy wearing a badge and packing.

Comment

"Gates lost his temper because..."
              How is it losing your temper to ask "how may I help you?"

It's clear "Skip," a very well know media figure in addition to an eminent prof., was PO'd the CPD didn't bring this to a satisfactory conclusion immediately.
              He didn't like being a suspect in his own home after showing his ID's. If he used some strong language--after the fact-- so what? He shouldn't have been arrested.

Comment

Originally posted by guru
                Let me see if I can lay out what happened here.

Professor Gates and his driver arrive home. As he stated. the front door wouldn't open so he went inside through another door to unlock it. Then, back outside he and his driver forced the jammed door open. In the process, a passerby saw the two men forcing the front door, and rightly called police, suspecting a break-in.

Police respond, finding the two men in the house. Gates, not knowing the police have been CALLED to his home, immediately suspects random racial profiling. Already tired from a long trip, and probably annoyed from the front door problems, he immediately assumes an attitude and refuses to cooperate, escalating the issue, as the police don't know what might be going on behind that door. Finally, he comes out and provides ID, and as the officers leave the house to go to their cruisers to check his ID to the house, he follows them out, now really annoyed and belligerent. Finally, the police have had enough and arrest Mr. Gates.
                All b/c Gates was in his house.

I'd have a helluva an attitude as well if I was in my house trying to get my head together after a long trip and then I gotta wrap my head around some bs like this.

Comment

Well the woman was obviously correct to report seeing somebody forcing the door to a house and the police officer was obviously correct to respond to the call and investigate and the professor was obviously correct to say this is my house and there's no problem here. So what went wrong? I'm sure we'll all be treated to an Oscar winning screenplay in a couple of years time highlighting all our all too human flaws of character. Probably from the same team that brought you Crash.

I think they should cast Denzel Washington as the cop, Al Pacino as the snitch, and Julia Roberts as the professor. Miley Cyrus can play the lawyer with Nicolas Cage as the chief of police.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    Originally posted by gh

Since it's an English newspaper not always renowned for non-sensationalizing, it's possible you might.
                    The Guardian isn't renowned for sensationalism. You must have it mixed up with The Sun or The Mirror or The Daily Mail or something.,,,
                    Not renowned by English standards, perhaps, but we recently shut down a recycled thread from the '03 Guardian which irresponsibly misrepresented a ton of facts about an old doping case. Trust me, I know the people involved, and by the standards accepted on this board, the Guardian prints a lot of shit. (in addition to good reportage, in all fairness)
                    all uk newspapers report "a lot of shit" when i comes to drug stories in all other stories i would say the guardian was one fo the most reliable.

i wonder if the woman who called the police would have done so if she'd seen one of her white neighbours having trouble with their front door, or if the police would have made it such a priority to go and investigate !?!
                    i deserve extra credit

Comment

Well the woman was obviously correct to report seeing somebody forcing the door to a house and the police officer was obviously correct to respond to the call and investigate and the professor was obviously correct to say this is my house and there's no problem here. So what went wrong? I'm sure we'll all be treated to an Oscar winning screenplay in a couple of years time highlighting all our all too human flaws of character. Probably from the same team that brought you Crash.

I think they should cast Denzel Washington as the cop, Al Pacino as the snitch, and Julia Roberts as the professor. Miley Cyrus can play the lawyer with Nicolas Cage as the chief of police.
                      Skip broke the cardinal rule of Black Male 101: Don't argue or **** with the police. To do so will make an unpleasant situation for you.

It doesn't matter if you're poor or privledged...if you're a Black male in America and law enforcement is involved, you're guilty until presumed innocent.

Comment

Well, first of all, I am a white guy, but when I see the police anywhere, I go the other way. I know there are a lot of good ones, but there are too many bad ones with attitudes. I just play it safe and go in the other direction. If I'm on the interstate and I see a cop behind me, I'll exit. I just don't want cops around me. They aren't how they used to be, like my grandfather was. Seems like now they are all crew-cutted, 25-year-old, egomaniac punks.

But, if I have no choice but to have to interact with a police officer, I am as humble and "no, sir" or "no, ma'am" as I can be until the episode is over. And I just hope this officer isn't having a bad day and doesn't want to make my life miserable. Because he surely can. This is the only way to deal with the police.

A couple years ago, we set off our home alarm after returning from vacation and I couldn't think of the code. Finally, my wife turned it off. But it was too late. You only have a minute or so to turn it off, and if you don't the police come over.

About ten minutes later, here comes Woodstock (Ga) PD.

"Is this your residence?"

"Yes, sir, it is."

"I need to see some identification."

"Just a moment, sir."

I handed him my ID and he ran it through the computer as they always do.

"OK, here's your ID. What happened?"

"I couldn't remember the code."

"Well you need to remember it. You get just one false alarm. Next time we'll charge you."

"Yes, sir. I will remember it, sir."

This is how you deal with the police. I don't know, but I have the feeling that Dr. Gates probably overreacted and handled the situation wrong and probably deserved a trip downtown to the jail.

Comment

Me too Bill- i grit my teeth and kiss their ass. Thats why i never speed, dont want any contact.

Alfred Hitchcock was asked what scares him the most and he said Cop's. They are one of the very few people who have totally control over you. Wife being another.

There are very nice cops but the profession does lure those who love power and wish to yield authority.
                          phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by BillVol
                            Well, first of all, I am a white guy, but when I see the police anywhere, I go the other way. I know there are a lot of good ones, but there are too many bad ones with attitudes. I just play it safe and go in the other direction. If I'm on the interstate and I see a cop behind me, I'll exit. I just don't want cops around me. They aren't how they used to be, like my grandfather was. Seems like now they are all crew-cutted, 25-year-old, egomaniac punks.

But, if I have no choice but to have to interact with a police officer, I am as humble and "no, sir" or "no, ma'am" as I can be until the episode is over. And I just hope this officer isn't having a bad day and doesn't want to make my life miserable. Because he surely can. This is the only way to deal with the police.

A couple years ago, we set off our home alarm after returning from vacation and I couldn't think of the code. Finally, my wife turned it off. But it was too late. You only have a minute or so to turn it off, and if you don't the police come over.

About ten minutes later, here comes Woodstock (Ga) PD.

"Is this your residence?"

"Yes, sir, it is."

"I need to see some identification."

"Just a moment, sir."

I handed him my ID and he ran it through the computer as they always do.

"OK, here's your ID. What happened?"

"I couldn't remember the code."

"Well you need to remember it. You get just one false alarm. Next time we'll charge you."

"Yes, sir. I will remember it, sir."

This is how you deal with the police. I don't know, but I have the feeling that Dr. Gates probably overreacted and handled the situation wrong and probably deserved a trip downtown to the jail.
                            Unfortnately, that's the gist of Black Male 101 when dealing with the police.

My first run-in with the police was a case of mistaken identity when I was 16 (I can still see my father's pain'd expression and his remark on how he thought he was beyond that when the police brought me home). Now here in 2009, I've had to teach the same thing to my 15-year old son (as I did his older brother who's 21).

A pretty sad legacy that has to be passed from generation to generation.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Slocombe
                              "HLG: I’ll be meeting with my legal team, and we will be deciding what kind of legal action I should take."

Do all Harvard professors have "legal teams?" How much money does a professor make?

I want my own legal team.
                              Now you want to question Mr. Gates financial status, what does that have to do with him being arrested at his home? Do you somehow believe and/or think, upon being told he was under arrest, he didn't offer to show some ID?

Go out and get your own legal team, if you have the means of doing so.
                              on the road

Comment

Originally posted by BillVol

Overreacted and handled the situation wrong, how in fact did you come to this conclusion, this feeling of yours? Might the police overreacted, handled the situation wrong? You mentioned your being white, well I can tell you in America, you are in the minority with respect to being pulled over and stopped by the police.
                                on the road

Comment

Working...
                                X