Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tongue in cheek my friend. Bring your big checkbook when you bring your legal team. Ask OJ, and he made the big bucks. Three lawyers at $500. P/hr each will get into your knickers in a hurry. Can ivory tower professors afford that? I think not.

Comment

Originally posted by BillVol
      This is how you deal with the police. I don't know, but I have the feeling that Dr. Gates probably overreacted and handled the situation wrong and probably deserved a trip downtown to the jail.
      You had me going until then. You are correct - anyone white, black or green really has only one smart way to play an encounter with a cop - be sweet as sugar and hope they go away. And it appears that the professor chose not to play it this way. But so far the facts of the story that we have in front of us do not show any reason for a trip to jail, and the local DA agrees.

Comment

This is how you deal with the police.
        There are three groups of people I never talk back to.
        1. Police.
        2. Tech. support.
        3. Dental hygienists.
        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Slocombe
          Tongue in cheek my friend. Bring your big checkbook when you bring your legal team. Ask OJ, and he made the big bucks. Three lawyers at $500. P/hr each will get into your knickers in a hurry. Can ivory tower professors afford that? I think not.
          Yeah it appears from your comments you wanna cast some dispersions around this subject. So again you wanna assume somethings and you can consider it tongue n cheek, no problem, sorta like the New Yorker huh?

He actually has a colleague of his, who happens to be a professor as well who is one of his attorneys. Let's not assume what his team consist of, nor what the cost is, or whether or not he can afford it.
          on the road

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
            1. Police.
            2. Tech. support.
            3. Dental hygienists.
            Add folks in personnel & payroll.

Comment

Originally posted by dakota
              Originally posted by gh

Since it's an English newspaper not always renowned for non-sensationalizing, it's possible you might.
              The Guardian isn't renowned for sensationalism. You must have it mixed up with The Sun or The Mirror or The Daily Mail or something.

It's an intriguing story though and one which witnesses would no doubt have told differently.
              In the third Bourne film the reporter, Simon Ross, who gets shot by the CIA at Waterloo station, wrote for the Guardian.

But, seriously, having lived in Boston for a few years, and taught in South Boston for a couple of years, 20 years ago, I thought it was one of the most racist cities in the US, far more than,. say, Chicago. The Charles Stuart case from about that time typified the attitude in Boston. So Gates' case doesn't surprise me.

Comment

Originally posted by ndamix
                1. Police.
                2. Tech. support.
                3. Dental hygienists.
                And don't forget the people that prepare your food :shock:

Comment

Interesting read:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/22/gates. ... index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Track Family
                    1. Police.
                    2. Tech. support.
                    3. Dental hygienists.
                    :lol: :lol: :lol: I would a little leary about the one that serve it too. :lol:
                    "Hook Em Horns"

Comment

Originally posted by robert5744
                      Originally posted by Track Family
                      1. Police.
                      2. Tech. support.
                      3. Dental hygienists.
                      :lol: :lol: :lol: I would a little leary about the one that serve it too. :lol:
                      Never be rude to the server at the restaraunt because you might get a little "Suge Avery Pee" in your water, food, etc :shock:

Comment

Surely Gates over-reacted.

Cops wouldn't ask for ID run it through the system, see everything is Ok and just arrest him. He was more than likely being verbally abusive due to the stress of a long trip.

If you be verbally abusive to cops expect to get arrested, doesn't matter about race. I see white guys arrested all the time for shouting and arguing with cops, they do them under 'disturbing the peace' or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedfirst

This is how you deal with the police. I don't know, but I have the feeling that Dr. Gates probably overreacted and handled the situation wrong and probably deserved a trip downtown to the jail.

Overreacted and handled the situation wrong, how in fact did you come to this conclusion, this feeling of yours? Might the police overreacted, handled the situation wrong? You mentioned your being white, well I can tell you in America, you are in the minority with respect to being pulled over and stopped by the police.
                          http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/22/gates. ... index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Mikewats

Cops wouldn't ask for ID run it through the system, see everything is Ok and just arrest him. He was more than likely being verbally abusive due to the stress of a long trip.

If you be verbally abusive to cops expect to get arrested, doesn't matter about race. I see white guys arrested all the time for shouting and arguing with cops, they do them under 'disturbing the peace' or something like that.
                            Wow....being verbally abusive after a long trip, Mike, while you're at it, why don't you tell us verbatim what Dr. Gates said :shock:

Also if you are remotely trying to imply the scales are balanced with respect to white guys being stopped and/or arrested compared to blacks, you gonna lose that position and not because I said so.
                            on the road

Comment

I was saying the most likely scenario imo.

I don't know the stats for police stopping races, i do know that blacks have the highest crime rate per person though.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedfirst
                                Originally posted by Mikewats

Wow....being verbally abusive after a long trip, Mike, while you're at it, why don't you tell us verbatim what Dr. Gates said :shock:

Also if you are remotely trying to imply the scales are balanced with respect to white guys being stopped and/or arrested compared to blacks, you gonna lose that position and not because I said so.
                                I second that :shock:

Comment

Working...
                                X