X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gh
    replied
    too much veiled (and not-so) racism here.... this one's toast, sorry.

Leave a comment:

• Speedfirst
    replied
    Originally posted by Mikewats
    I'd also like to put im not replying anymore. You're beyond reason or logic. You will also happily hit quote and reply for ever clearly shown by your 1000 posts since May and i suspect 900+ have been done in the last month.
    What you think about me or my number of post, clearly matters not the least bit to me. I'll decide to post when, where and however often I decide, not when you decide for me. You get to decide when you post, I have the same prerogative and I'll exercise that.

You can run and hide all you want, after making your accusations and simply because it's your opinion, doesn't change how you feel, you rang the bell, can't unring it. Now go run and hide, like you said you would, your conscience must be working on you.

Leave a comment:

• Speedfirst
    replied
    Originally posted by dakota
    This isn't about being black. It's about being spotted breaking down a door. That quote from Gates about it being between a white man and a black man is nonsense. It's between a policeman and a man who was seen breaking down a door. And Gates apparently went off on a diatribe about race instead of explaining he was locked out of his house after flying home from China as part of his work as an academic at HARVARD UNIVERSITY. If this guy is such a great spokesman for so many people how come he has such a hard time explaining who he is to the person who came to make sure that nobody was trying to burgle his house. If this policeman is a scumbag who likes to harass black people I'm sure he can find plenty to harass who aren't the victims of the burglaries he's trying to prevent and who aren't Harvard professors who would rather throw their toys out of their pram, get arrested, and be on the front page of the newspaper, than calmly explain who they are and what is happening, because they've got an inflated ego and a penchant for getting their knickers in a twist. Gates thinks the policeman sees everything on racist terms. The policeman doesn't think that at all. Gates is too dumb to see that actually he's the one who sees everything on racist terms. The thoughts he ascribes to everybody else are actually the thoughts that he is having himself. If he thinks other people are having them more often than not he is wrong but he is definitely having them then transferring or projecting them to others. And no I am not making a generalisation about black people. I am talking about one particular professor of IDENTITY POLITICS. Prove that a professor of identity politics, a deconstructionist literary theorist, sees everything through the prism of race? Are you kidding me? Yet you get a free pass saying that the entire police profession sees everything through the prism of race? How does that work exactly? It seems to me Speedfirst that you need to prove that this particular police officer was racist.
    I never said anyone is racist or even implied that, so I don't have to prove anything. What you need to prove is the accusations you made about the bread and butter and the Harvard graduates being shown how to use race.

My whole position in commenting in this thread it's not about the police, it's about the comments that are made by you and others. As you can see, I am responding to that. I don't know that officer from Adam and have not placed any judgement on him. But again you have decided to make accusations about Dr. Gates, seperate and apart from this incident.

Leave a comment:

• SQUACKEE
    replied
    Black people have suffered from discrimination since day one in this country and continue to do so- that's a fact.

Now THIS case- Until the prof. details exactly what the cops did wrong, every piece on information we have leads me to believe he overeacted.

Does anyone here believe if the Prof. was calm and helpful he would have been arrested? 1960-maybe, very doubtful in Harvard today.

Leave a comment:

• Mikewats
    replied
    I'd also like to put im not replying anymore. You're beyond reason or logic. You will also happily hit quote and reply for ever, clearly shown by your 1000 posts since May and i suspect 900+ have been done in the last month.

Leave a comment:

• Mikewats
    replied
    Well surely if someone is commiting a crime or acting suspicious they get stopped, if it's found they are commiting a crime or being akward and need further questioning down at the station with a tape recorded they get arrested. Since black people are commiting more crimes they get stopped more, that's all i said. I never said anything about stopping and checking all black people or arresting them on the basis of guilty before proven innocent as you've hinted as my opinions.

Now if i went through my life never commiting a crime or I spent my life comminting lots and lots of crimes everyday which one do you think will result in more stoppages????? thats the point i was making. Increase in crime results in increases in stoppages!

I also came to the conclusion from reading the article

''He also said Gates unleashed a verbal tirade, calling him racist, telling him that he did not know who he was messing with, and threatening to speak to his “mama” outside.''

Gates said in response to a question on whether he had said any of the quotes in the report. “I said, ‘Are you not giving me your name and badge number because I’m a black man in America?''

Sounds like he was being angry and not being co-operative, hence his arrest. All in my opinion of course because i haven't see video footage, i can come to my own conclusions if i want from the evidence in front of me. You speculate on the way you see events unfolded and I will do the same.

Leave a comment:

• dakota
    replied
    This isn't about being black. It's about being spotted breaking down a door. That quote from Gates about it being between a white man and a black man is nonsense. It's between a policeman and a man who was seen breaking down a door. And Gates apparently went off on a diatribe about race instead of explaining he was locked out of his house after flying home from China as part of his work as an academic at HARVARD UNIVERSITY. If this guy is such a great spokesman for so many people how come he has such a hard time explaining who he is to the person who came to make sure that nobody was trying to burgle his house. If this policeman is a scumbag who likes to harass black people I'm sure he can find plenty to harass who aren't the victims of the burglaries he's trying to prevent and who aren't Harvard professors who would rather throw their toys out of their pram, get arrested, and be on the front page of the newspaper, than calmly explain who they are and what is happening, because they've got an inflated ego and a penchant for getting their knickers in a twist. Gates thinks the policeman sees everything on racist terms. The policeman doesn't think that at all. Gates is too dumb to see that actually he's the one who sees everything on racist terms. The thoughts he ascribes to everybody else are actually the thoughts that he is having himself. If he thinks other people are having them more often than not he is wrong but he is definitely having them then transferring or projecting them to others. And no I am not making a generalisation about black people. I am talking about one particular professor of IDENTITY POLITICS. Prove that a professor of identity politics, a deconstructionist literary theorist, sees everything through the prism of race? Are you kidding me? Yet you get a free pass saying that the entire police profession sees everything through the prism of race? How does that work exactly? It seems to me Speedfirst that you need to prove that this particular police officer was racist.

Leave a comment:

• Speedfirst
    replied

You're linking things together that i never linked. You mentioned blacks getting stopped more and i said i don't know that blacks get stopped more, but i did know that blacks cause more crime per person. Surely causing more crime adds up to more stops. That doesn't mean I think blacks are guilty before being innocent, hence a stupid question and hinting that's what my opinion is. If you didn't think that was my opinion you wouldn't of asked the question, you was jumping to conclusions.

I never accused Gates of anything, I put what i felt would be the most likely scenario for his arrest.

I feel him being arrested for not being co-operative or being verbally abusive after a long trip back from China is more likely than him showing his ID all coming up good on the police's computer and then arresting him for being black so he can then get a complaint and a possible investigation for him, with the potential for a suspension or losing his job.

But then again, I or you don't know, we can only speculate.
    Simply because you feel a certain way and then voice that as your opinion, does not make that accurate what you said, again which was he was verbally abusive and overreacted. You didn't attribute those remarks to someone else, YOU said it. You didn't have to come to that conclusion based upon what you heard, saw or read, but you did.

Again I ask you, since you interjected this into the discussion, what does blacks having the highest crime rate, what's the analogy? What does that have to do with this? Are you suggesting since you believe that to be a fact, it justified to stop and arrest blacks?

Leave a comment:

• Mikewats
    replied
    Originally posted by Speedfirst
    ''aren't you putting the cart before the horse with that comment? So because blacks have the highest crime rate, that's open season to stop blacks, and arrest them?''

you put them as questions, but are basically accusations.

I also said a scenario that i felt was most likely from the evidence in the articles. I never said for a fact that gates was being verbally abusive.

I remember a certain black comedian saying there isn't a chance of being a black president in his lifetime(many black people agreed), i think a lot of black people totally over estimate how many white people are actually racist or out to keep the black person down.
    No, those are questions, based upon YOUR accusations....YOU accused Dr. Gates of being verbally abusive, YOU accused Dr. Gates of overreacting.

Then you go on and make the comment about highest crime rate, again I ask you, does that mean open season to stop and arrest blacks? What analogy are you trying to make, by even bringing that into the discussion?
    You're linking things together that i never linked. You mentioned blacks getting stopped more and i said i don't know that blacks get stopped more, but i did know that blacks cause more crime per person. Surely causing more crime adds up to more stops. That doesn't mean I think blacks are guilty before being innocent, hence a stupid question and hinting that's what my opinion is. If you didn't think that was my opinion you wouldn't of asked the question, you was jumping to conclusions.

I never accused Gates of anything, I put what i felt would be the most likely scenario for his arrest.

I feel him being arrested for not being co-operative or being verbally abusive after a long trip back from China is more likely than him showing his ID all coming up good on the police's computer and then arresting him for being black so he can then get a complaint and a possible investigation for him, with the potential for a suspension or losing his job.

But then again, I or you don't know, we can only speculate.

Leave a comment:

• Speedfirst
    replied
    Originally posted by STL_Runner
    You didn't say what or hint at what? You said he was being verbally abusive after a long trip. YOU said surely Gates overreacted, how do you know that? Show me where I put any words in your mouth.
    He was stating opinions based on the evidence presented to him. That's what people do. None of us has seen a video of or witnessed this incident but that doesn't mean we can't check out the evidence and make an opinion based on what we find. Why do you always go off on these tangents? (that was a rhetorical question)
    First off, I don't ALWAYS go off on these so-called tangents. Of course it was his opinion, but even in the midst of an opinion you don't get to accuse someone and as you pointed out, without a video or being there as a witness. To state someone is/was verbally abusive, did overreact without knowing this firsthand, isn't being accurate or being responsible in stating this.

P.S. if you are somehow of the opinion that this situation and those who refuse to let light be made of it, should simply sweep it under the carpet, then I guess you got the wrong impression.

Hey you get to pick your battles don't you? Guess what, so do others, if you don't like it, to bad, your issue not mine.

Leave a comment:

• Speedfirst
    replied
    ''aren't you putting the cart before the horse with that comment? So because blacks have the highest crime rate, that's open season to stop blacks, and arrest them?''

I also said a scenario that i felt was most likely from the evidence in the articles. I never said for a fact that gates was being verbally abusive.

I remember a certain black comedian saying there isn't a chance of being a black president in his lifetime(many black people agreed), i think a lot of black people totally over estimate how many white people are actually racist or out to keep the black person down.
    No, those are questions, based upon YOUR accusations....YOU accused Dr. Gates of being verbally abusive, YOU accused Dr. Gates of overreacting.

Then you go on and make the comment about highest crime rate, again I ask you, does that mean open season to stop and arrest blacks? What analogy are you trying to make, by even bringing that into the discussion?

Leave a comment:

• Speedfirst
    replied
    Originally posted by dakota
    I get the impression Gates is the one who played the race card because deep down it's his bread and butter
    Here we go again, a black man playing the race card comments :shock: the get out of jail free card. Isn't it a bit ironic, that a black would even have to consider the race card in America. If there was equality from the get go, no need for a race card... hmm?

Deep down it's his bread and butter, will you please present some evidence to support this accusation. He teaches the next generation of Harvard graduates to make an issue of race where they otherwise wouldn't. Please show proof of that accusation as well.

Leave a comment:

• STL_Runner
    replied
    You didn't say what or hint at what? You said he was being verbally abusive after a long trip. YOU said surely Gates overreacted, how do you know that? Show me where I put any words in your mouth.
    He was stating opinions based on the evidence presented to him. That's what people do. None of us has seen a video of or witnessed this incident but that doesn't mean we can't check out the evidence and make an opinion based on what we find. Why do you always go off on these tangents? (that was a rhetorical question)

Leave a comment:

• Mikewats
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Speedfirst
    replied
    I was saying the most likely scenario imo.

I don't know the stats for police stopping races, i do know that blacks have the highest crime race per person though.
    You may not know the stats, but I assure you it's not even close, blacks compared to whites. With respect to the highest crime rate comment, it's still innocent until proven guilty, aren't you putting the cart before the horse with that comment? So because blacks have the highest crime rate, that's open season to stop blacks, and arrest them?
    I didn't say that or hint at that.

It's the reason why I said i perosnally think he was verbally being abusive to the police or wasn't co-operating hence the arrest.

I can't see them running it through the computer it all coming out fine and then arresting him so they can have an investigation and a complain against their name.

Or are you hinting on that police shouldn't arrest black people for not being co-operative or being abusive?

we can all play the put words in peoples mouth game, it's not hard.
    You didn't say what or hint at what? You said he was being verbally abusive after a long trip. YOU said surely Gates overreacted, how do you know that? Show me where I put any words in your mouth..

Also this has resulted...

The charge was dropped Tuesday on the recommendation of police, and the city of Cambridge issued a statement calling the incident "regrettable and unfortunate."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X