• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guru
    replied
    Originally posted by rasb
    Originally posted by CookyMonzta
    While we're on the subject, anyone have any idea how many HSRs in U.S. swimming are also WRs at this moment? When was the last time a HSR in TRACK was a WR?
    Mary Decker-Slaney --- perhaps ??? Just winging it here...

Later than her, and it's still the WR.

Hint - indoors, and we had a thread on it a few years back.

Leave a comment:

• rasb
    replied
    Originally posted by CookyMonzta
    While we're on the subject, anyone have any idea how many HSRs in U.S. swimming are also WRs at this moment? When was the last time a HSR in TRACK was a WR?
    Mary Decker-Slaney --- perhaps ??? Just winging it here...

Leave a comment:

• CookyMonzta
    replied

Leave a comment:

• The Atheist
    replied
    I watched it on tv.

I have Time Warner cable, and for me it's on channel 226, which is called KNBCDT4 or something weird like that, though, the channel refers to itself as Universal Sports I think when you are actually watching it, but when I look on the channel menu thingie with my remote the channel is called KNBCDT4 for some reason.

Anyway, yea you should definitely watch.

The only annoying thing is that it's not just swimming, it had water polo and diving and all that boring crap mixed in with it. So I pretty much just read a book/surfed the web etc while waiting for the water polo match to end and then only watched the swimming part of it. I really need to get TiVo so I can just fastforward to the good stuff, lol...

I think Phelps is swimming an individual event tomorrow, I think it's either the 200 freestyle or the 200 butterfly.

Phelps actually took like 6 whole months off from swimming after Beijing, and then right at the end of his 6 month vacation he got banned from racing for 3 months for getting caught smoking weed, so basically 9 months out of the sport, finally got back in the game in May. All his coaches/experts thought he was going to be pretty much fucked over for this season, cuz there just wouldn't be even anywhere near enough time for him to get back into world class shape in time for Worlds, but, just two weeks ago he broke the world record in the 100 fly (this is an event that he has struggled with, unlike the 200 IM, 400 IM, 200 Freestyle and 200 Butterfly where he tends to always win by enormous margins and has never really had to worry about anyone else coming close or trading world records back and forth with him, in the 100 fly it hasn't been that way, he's traded world records back and for with Ian Crocker the past few years, and was very lucky to win Gold in the 100 fly in Beijing, as you might remember, where he out touched Cavic by a fraction of a milimeter, winning by 0.0001 seconds or something absurd. So this, the 100 fly, one of his weaker events, he set a WORLD RECORD in, just 2 weeks ago, lol, after the coaches/experts all agreed that he wouldn't even be in the same league as his competition at Worlds in even his best events, let alone his weaker events.

So yea, it's basically on like Donkey Kong basically.

So yea, you should probably watch it, lol! I know I will!!!

Leave a comment:

• bman
    replied
    Shit I am going to have to start watching this... Are you watching on Universal (online, because I don't get the tv channel)? Is there an event schedule, what is still to go that I should watch?

Leave a comment:

• The Atheist
    replied
    Well, once they realized the U.S. was about to take them down AGAIN I think the guy pretty much went into nervous-breakdown mode and slowed down a lot while his life flashed before his eyes and his synapses started to explode/etc.

It's going to be extra embarrassing if Alain Bernard and Freddie Bosquet go 1-2 in the 100 freestyle a few days from now, that they still managed to goof up a second time in a row in the 4x100 freestyle today, despite being such massive favorites over the rest of the world going into the race.

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    The Russians beat them too.

Leave a comment:

• France in shock/disgust after losing to U.S. AGAIN in 4x100

Last year France was an enormous favorite to win the mens 4x100 freestyle relay Gold.

It is the most prestiguous race in the sport of swimming. The race every country most badly wants to win.

And the huge underdogs, the U.S., somehow pulled out a win against them.

The French team was utterly heartbroken, saying they would never ever forget what happened to them on that day. Saying it was the worst thing they had ever experienced in their entire lives.

Today was the rematch, to determine whether the French really were better than the U.S., and that the U.S. really did just luck out against them last year, in that race of epic proportions.

Some of the French 4x100 swimmers have improved considerably since last year, and were expected to be an even heavier favorite in this race against the U.S. today.

The U.S. took down the French superstar 4x100 freestyle team AGAIN today, in their epic World Championship rematch.

In a related story, anti-depressant pharmaceutical stocks skyrocket in France today.
Working...
X