X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pego
    replied
    Originally posted by El Toro
    A word of advice to all out there - do not download any antimalware software that comes up in a google search. A lot of these are built by the scumbags that write the friggin malware in the firstplace and will take your money and credit card details and leave the malware on your PC in quiet mode so you think you got rid of it.
    Do you know, if Stopzilla is one of those scumbags? Did I sell my soul to the devil :twisted: ?

Leave a comment:

• El Toro
    replied
    Marlow, I feel your pain. It sounds like you might have a Vundo variant and it is a real pain - I have been there and it was particularly annoying because I was running a well regarded firewall and anti-virus/malware package that failed completely.

A word of advice to all out there - do not download any antimalware software that comes up in a google search. A lot of these are built by the scumbags that write the friggin malware in the firstplace and will take your money and credit card details and leave the malware on your PC in quiet mode so you think you got rid of it. :evil:

Only use software assessed by legitimate computer mags or well respected antimalware websites. If you are not sure seek professional advice (or post your problem here :P )

I recommend Malwarebytes AntiMalware software http://www.malwarebytes.org/ which has a free version that will clean up infections as well as the paid version - just doesn't stop it in the first place, which is the motivator to buy the full version.

Download the product and instal, click on update, then reboot into Window Safe Mode (WSM) and run the software. Instructions on WSM can be found at http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixthe...safemodexp.htm

If you don't boot into WSM you are unlikely to get rid of Vundo and its variants as it will keep on coming back.

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    Originally posted by lonewolf
    Kind of a relief to know that I am not the only amateur plagued with computer/printer problems.
    Hey, I'm a pro and still have these problems. Today's print server problem cost me a 40 mile round trip and a $20 part.

As for the malware crap, this was from an email I sent to some friends in March:

I just spent the last 90 minutes getting rid of a really obnoxious piece of malware that got downloaded onto my computer. One of the places I recently surfed was successful in getting around my barricades and installed something called Spyware Protect 2009 on my computer.

This fake spyware cleaner then started popping up warnings left and right about infections it was finding. It got particularly aggressive when I started searching Google for information on Spyware Protect 2009 and ways to get rid of it. Many of these pop-up windows would not close which made reading web sites kind of tough. Of course there were a number of vendors selling software to clean this off my computer for $30. (I had downloaded one that found this SP 2009 but when I went to clean it then it requested the $30)

I did come across a couple of web sites that had details on how to manually get rid of this piece of shit software, but apparently this fucker mutates regularly so the specifics on how to get rid of it were out of date. However there was enough info that I could work with that I finally got to the point where it was apparently gone. At least the software I downloaded that found it can’t find it anymore, and the annoying pop-ups are gone.
    The bad news was that my computer never really got back to being its 100% self, and I ended up reformatting and rebuilding from scratch about a month later.

:x

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Hey, I vote for Stopzilla if that does the job. It is just that I am ultra-computer incompetent. :?

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    Spybot Search & Destroy is an excellent free spyware program. I have Spy Sweeper since it's free with my MSN account.

Important to remember that because you have an anti-virus program running doesn't mean you're protected from spyware/malware.

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    Originally posted by lonewolf
    Kind of a relief to know that I am not the only amateur plagued with computer/printer problems. My puter guy says don't buy spybot or anything that pops up demanding money to get rid of itself. Of course, his solution is for me to call him and he fixes it. So, WTF, he has kids to raise. Sometimes, since I am such a good customer, he can fix it over the phone
    Your puter guy is probably right, but I faced 5 options.

1. Buy a new computer.
    2. Reformat the hard drive.
    3. Call the Geek squad at $200 a pop.
    4. Drag the damn thing to the shop.
    5. Install Stopzilla and give them $10.

The last option may not be the best, but is certainly the simplest and cheapest .

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Kind of a relief to know that I am not the only amateur plagued with computer/printer problems. My puter guy says don't buy spybot or anything that pops up demanding money to get rid of itself. Of course, his solution is for me to call him and he fixes it. So, WTF, he has kids to raise. Sometimes, since I am such a good customer, he can fix it over the phone

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    Originally posted by Marlow
    Originally posted by guru
    Originally posted by rasb
    Does anyone know how to get rid of this stuff for free?
    P.S. Speak slowly, I am not a computer guy at all...
    As noted above to marlow - if you run Windows this will do it all for you.
    http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/article/slowpc.htm
    It likely will take a couple hours. Click "Full Scan" and follow the prompts.
    I am in the middle of that scan now - been running over 2 hours already. This DAMN anti-virus virus keeps reinstalling itself!!! I've sopped in the the processes tab, I've deleted it's executable file and it keep coming back! :evil: :evil: It's called "Windows Anti-virus Pro and shuts down virtually everything until you buy the $49.99 anti-virus program!! :evil: :evil: I REFUSE!!
    I had the same problem a few weeks ago. A Trojan malware installed itself on my desktop. It would open a new spam window every few minutes. Highly annoying. Norton said it blocked it, but it didn't. Scanning it with Norton, Windows Defender or Guru's clean-up utility did not get rid of it. Desperate, I installed a Stopzilla and scanned the system. It found a shitload of spyware. To get rid of it, they wanted $10 for a year, $60 lifetime. I said, what the hell, gave them $10 and had no spyware problems since.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by guru
    I am in the middle of that scan now - been running over 2 hours already. This DAMN anti-virus virus keeps reinstalling itself!!! I've sopped in the the processes tab, I've deleted it's executable file and it keep coming back! :evil: :evil: It's called "Windows Anti-virus Pro and shuts down virtually everything until you buy the $49.99 anti-virus program!! :evil: :evil: I REFUSE!!

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by bad hammy
    Last night at home the printer stopped printing. . . . Tried all the usual tricks (unplug for a while, hit the reset, etc.)
    For the past three months or so, most of the time, one of my printers does not work unless I turn it off (with the on-off switch on the printer) and then turn it back on. It only takes a few seconds, but if I haven't recently done that, it just won't print. Oddly, it occasionally will be fine for 4-5 days at a time, but then it goes back to requiring an on-off to work.

This is way down on the list of life's annoyances, but it's there.

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    I've made a pretty good living working with computers over the past 25 years or so, but it always pisses me off when something goes wrong with them. Long ago I lost the geeky 'Oh gee a new puzzle to solve' factor that leads many folks to these kinds of careers. I just want the fuckers to work right so I can concentrate on better things.

Last night at home the printer stopped printing. Didn't have time to screw with it then. Just got done with the diagnostics - a print server device that allows me to share this printer with all the computers in the house just decided to stop working. Power is there and the network connection is there and the config software sees it, but it is seen as apparently permanently offline. Tried all the usual tricks (unplug for a while, hit the reset, etc.) The fly-by-night company that made it doesn't have a single reference to it on their web site and no phone support. Now I have to drive 20 miles to Fry's to spend a few bucks on a new one.

Such is life . . .

:x

Leave a comment:

• rasb
    replied
    My computer needs a damn good clean-up, I suspect I am carrying all sorts of little bugs.
    Someone recommended spy-bot to me, and said it was free.
    So I downloaded that, and ran it, and it told me I had lots of "detections",
    and then wanted me to produce my credit card.

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    By hitting "CTRL+ALT+DELETE" and then clicking on the processes tab, shouldn't you be able find whatever spyware program is running on your computer?

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    My puter guy installed some sort of firewall and a frequently recurring virus sweep that, with a router, had me virtually spam and pop-up free for many months.
    About two weeks ago, I could not get online. My internet provider (cox) blamed the router (cisco) the router balmed cox. I was finally able to get online by disconnecting the router. I am now seeing an increasing amount of spam and pop-ups. Gotta go rag on cisco again.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X