X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad hammy
    replied
    Originally posted by no one
    1. My son is a computer geek/genius/IT guy - he says Macs are the way to go.
    I ignore the Mac vs. PC stuff - it is partly religion. There are good arguments to go either way. I am a PC guy, mostly because my employer of 22 years has paid me quite well to be a PC guy. When I retire in a few years I may re-evaluate. If I was advising others, particularly home users with no ready access to computer support, I'd say buy a Mac. If nothing else, the means they won't call me when they have a problem!

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    Originally posted by rasb
    Thanks to suggestions on this thread, I decided to download the AVG free programs yesterday. It immediately came across some nasty stuff, and got rid of it for me. So thanks for that.
    My next question, is it also worthwhile to download 1 of the pc clean up features, and if so, do you have a favourite? Having to run on dial-up connection here, I need all the speed I can get...
    I use the one, Guru posted. About monthly.

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/article/slowpc.htm

Leave a comment:

• rasb
    replied
    Thanks to suggestions on this thread, I decided to download the AVG free programs yesterday. It immediately came across some nasty stuff, and got rid of it for me. So thanks for that.
    My next question, is it also worthwhile to download 1 of the pc clean up features, and if so, do you have a favourite? Having to run on dial-up connection here, I need all the speed I can get...

Leave a comment:

• no one
    replied
    1. My son is a computer geek/genius/IT guy - he says Macs are the way to go.
    2. Windows problems - I look at the reviews that CNET.com does and usually only download their highest rated anti spy/mal/virus goober ware programs (or other programs - they have a number of forums that deal with numerous aspects of computer world - including spyware etc.) Have had only one badboy attack in ~20 yrs. Definitely worth a look - I think they are at cutting edge stuff.

Leave a comment:

• balzonia
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman
    Originally posted by balzonia
    After a little over 20 years of loyal PC marriage, my wife finally got sick of hearing me complain about my LeadingEdge/dell/gateway/hp/compaq and custom built PC's and bought me a MacBook Pro for my birthday 8 months ago...

Haven't cursed at a computer in 6 months... (the first 2 months I had to figure out how to do everything so the cursing was at my own limitations!)
    It's those first two months that worry me. I fear it will be something like learning to speak a foreign language and I really can't afford to be inarticulate for two months. One of these days, I suppose I'll just get frustrated enough with my PC's and take the plunge. Everyone says they're really better.
    What took me 2 months takes most people about two weeks... What was causing me issues was using the new programs like "Garage Band" "Aperture" and some other things. It was just me learning curve... They make Microsoft Office for Macs and everything I had (1000's of docs and spreadsheets, 100's of powerpoints etc...) all came thru unscathed.

And the Apple store does almost everything for you in terms of transferring files. And the greatest thing about the gift was the extra $99 she spent for 12 "one-on-one" sessions. You take the machine in the store and you get an hour of personalized tutoring on the machine on whatever topic you want. I found these to be invaluable and at less than $10 per hour, you won't get a better deal on tutoring.

I sound like a shill but I am impressed. Some people discount Apples because they lack the "power" and if I had to do major graphic design/CAD work, maybe there is some merit to that.

Leave a comment:

• TrackDaddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Pego
    Thank you, all.
    No problem.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    After a little over 20 years of loyal PC marriage, my wife finally got sick of hearing me complain about my LeadingEdge/dell/gateway/hp/compaq and custom built PC's and bought me a MacBook Pro for my birthday 8 months ago...

Haven't cursed at a computer in 6 months... (the first 2 months I had to figure out how to do everything so the cursing was at my own limitations!)
    It's those first two months that worry me. I fear it will be something like learning to speak a foreign language and I really can't afford to be inarticulate for two months. One of these days, I suppose I'll just get frustrated enough with my PC's and take the plunge. Everyone says they're really better.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    My son, an engineer, sings the same praises for Apple. I just never seem to come to a complete replacement point.

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied
    Others may have different experiences and opinions, but if you want a computer that works, get an Apple.
    Shhhhh!

Leave a comment:

• balzonia
    replied

No viruses, no spyware, no malware, no popups, no built in ads and/or "reminders," boots up from a dead stop in < 30 seconds, runs every program I need (and a million I don't), opens every web page I want and just plain works.

Others may have different experiences and opinions, but if you want a computer that works, get an Apple.

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    Thank you, all.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by El Toro
    Pego, your product seems to be legitimate, it's just not ranked highly!
    As you were writing that, I was consulting with Mr. G, who confirmed that with a link to a two-year old review.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2163435,00.asp

Leave a comment:

• El Toro
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist
    El Toro, should all programs that are running show up in Window Task Manager's Processes Tab?
    Theoretically they should but normal Windows processes can be hijacked so which version of the process is the malware? Some malware can also change Task Manager settings or block it opening. Unless you are familiar with all that jazz :wink: you might not be able to tell what's going on.

I'm no expert except in the particular circumstances that I went through and any knowledge you gain is outdated quickly as the balance between good and bad guys shifts constantly. I think the only way to be safe(er) in the long run is to always run virtual machines but this won't be helpful to the general public until common OSs do that by default.

Pego, your product seems to be legitimate, it's just not ranked highly! Still, if it worked for you, it worked. I'd still download another another freeby such as the product I mentioned above or http://free.avg.com/ and run it for peace of mind. The only thing you don't want to do is run different active software at the same time because they might not play well together.

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist
    El Toro, should all programs that are running show up in Window Task Manager's Processes Tab?
    Should? Yes. Do they? No.

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X