Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critical Information

You have been banned from this forum.
    Please contact the webmaster or board administrator for more information.
    Evidently it's not personal, because by connecting through a VPN connection to my office computer in Indianapolis, I can logon now. But this is the 2nd or 3rd time since I've been in Moscow that I've been "banned" - or more likely, everyone connecting from my Russian ISP (or maybe just the .RU domain?) has been banned. The prior bannings haven't lasted very long, and I can access the main T&FN site now, just not the message boards. Anybody know what's going on?

We get a huge amount of forum spam registration. Off the top of my head I'd guess that 99+% of the attempted registrations we get are spammers. Some small number make it through 2 sets of filters and get manually validated. The majority of them come from the U.S., Russia, Ukraine, and China. Russia is the leading culprit for spam to our site. So big chunks of Russian IP space have been banned.

http://www.stopforumspam.com/stats/map

Comment

Are you posting from the Kremlin?
      The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Not quite. About 23.6km S/SW of there: http://preview.tinyurl.com/l596s8

Comment

You have been banned!!! We could get in trouble for reading your posts!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BruceFlorman
            I have to ask, what is that circle to the south east of your location? Looks like a rail track but why the circle? Is that a huge vegetable garden in the middle?

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
              I have to ask, what is that circle to the south east of your location? Looks like a rail track but why the circle? Is that a huge vegetable garden in the middle?
              I had to ask about the big circle too. It is part of a railroad yard, but why it's a big circle, I couldn't tell you. Maybe just because it looks cool from space.

No, that's not a huge vegetable garden in the middle. It's a bunch of little ones. About 140 of 'em, apparently. That area is pretty clearly a collection of dachas, and (according to my understanding anyway) just about anyone with a dacha tends a vegetable garden there.

Comment

To clear this all up, can't you just bribe someone? You're in Russia after all.

Comment

What are Russian attitudes toward Americans these days?

Sorry this doesnt address your banned problem ops: , but I'm curious.

Comment

Evidently I’m not “banned” today. These periods have never lasted very long – maybe 24 hours or so – but they’re annoying nonetheless.

The average Russian’s attitude toward Americans seems quite positive thus far, although everyone clearly hopes that they’ve seen the last of a certain Texan. Within the first five minutes of meeting anyone – and frequently the first five seconds – I’m invariably asked: “What do you think of Obama?” As one fellow put it – “I love Americans; I’ve just hated your government lately.”

Certainly the American entertainment industry has a big market here. I haven’t done a scientific study, but I’d guess that something like 10-15% of the entertainment programming on the TV here is American. It’s a far higher percentage than British, French or German programming. I don’t know what the coverage of Michael Jackson’s death was like back home in Indiana, but it was BIG NEWS here, with at least a few minutes devoted to the story on the evening news every night for two weeks. Madonna is performing in St. Petersburg, and it’s a big enough deal that I’ve seen at least two stories about it on the news this week. Of the faces staring down from the billboards, I’d guess that an even higher percentage are American.

So I don’t think there’s much inherent animosity toward the USA here. Russians are, however, quite keenly aware of certain inconsistencies – and sometimes flat-out hypocrisy – is U.S. government policy. There’s also a sense, I think, that Americans don’t respect them, and it’s served me well to behave as a polite and respectful guest while I’ve been here. Of course, being polite is probably a good idea anywhere.

Comment

Thank you Bruce.

I'm a little surprised that the US has that level of entertainment presence. Although I believe in general people here underestimate how popular MJ was around the world.

I think the world has hope in Obama that he will listen to other nations and not just tell them the way it is. That seems to be his presentation so far. He wants to leave an impression that we havent given lately. That is, that we care. It's pretty evident that the war and other stances taken by our government in the last 7 years or so werent popular globally.

Also, I can see why they would think Americans dont respect them. Rarely if ever is there a positive story told here about that country. Post cold war residual and the need to suggest we won, fuels a condescending tone, IMO.

Comment

My granddaughter spent her junior year at St. Petersburg (Russia) University, living "on the economy", as we used to say in the military, rather than in university housing.
                        She came home with the impressions that ordinary Russians are just people.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
                          Not even slightly evil?

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
                            Originally posted by lonewolf
                            Not even slightly evil?
                            Not the ones she got to know. She rented a room from a lady whose husband worked on the Black Sea and came home about four times a year. She suspects that the rent she paid was a major part of this woman's income.

Comment

Certainly the American entertainment industry has a big market here.
                              In 2005, my Slovak high school class had the fiftieth reunion. While there, a few childhood friends got together for the night of fun. This nationalist friend of mine (the best friend since we were 12) referred to this as "an American cultural imperialism". He was unable to answer my question, why do they keep buying it, if it's junk?
                              "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Working...
                              X