X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by lonewolf
    I am probably the least qualified person alive to be an arbiter on TV hosts but the only people on this list I have heard of are Cowell, Morgan and Ferguson
    Sorry, lonewolf. I win. I've heard of only Cowell and Ramsey (and the latter only as a restaurateur, not a TV host, assuming it's the same person).

Edited to fix typo.

Leave a comment:

• TrakFan
    replied
    I think show creators know that many Americans will simply for the accents...and they have.

Leave a comment:

• Friar
    replied
    I think we're talking about one show in particular --Idol-- that's such an overwhelming success that some copying is inevitable. But I don't see it as a trend and I don't think hosts are that well liked (no matter how rich Cowell is).

The actors coming over have more of an impact and are highly respected.

Leave a comment:

• BillVol
    replied
    Letterman is old news. As is Conan. Jimmy Kimmel is the only yank worth watching now.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    I am probably the least qualified person alive to be an arbiter on TV hosts but the only people on this list I have heard of are Cowell, Morgan and Ferguson and I think of Ferguson, who is watchable, as being the only talk show host among the three.
    Maybe I am not hip enough to appreciate Cowell and Morgan. Both somehow manage to be simultaneously rude and bland. I don't get 'em.

Leave a comment:

• balzonia
    started a topic Rising Popularity of UK TV Hosts in USA

Rising Popularity of UK TV Hosts in USA

Is it just me or are all the good TV hosts of the past 5 years from the UK? The only Yank still worth watching is Letterman.

Simon Cowell
    Nigel Lythgoe
    Gordon Ramsey
    Jeremy Clarkson (the single most entertaining human on TV right now)
    James May
    Richard Hammond
    Marco Pierre White
    Piers Morgan and
    Craig Ferguson
    have made more TV worth watching in the past 5 years than the entire US population of talking heads combined...

BBC America has turned me on to the one who appears poised to make the next jump across the pond, Jonathon Ross.

Are all of these guys hyper-popular in UK before making the jump to US television?

Ramsey, in particular, is much more entertaining on BBC America than Fox. His show, "F Word" is terrific and shows a depth of personality lacking in his US persona.
Working...
X