• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tandfman
    replied
    Re:

Originally posted by lonewolf
    Originally posted by Mikewats
    Still don't know who craig ferguson is though. .
    late pm, early am talk show host,
    I'd never heard of him either, but this interview makes me curious to see him:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... leArtEnt_6

Leave a comment:

• Mikewats
    replied
    well like what i said after, they don't play on the race, gender or do racist jokes which most of the other comedians do. They have to be original. If you look at my favourite comedians they're all white and middle class, apart from chris rock.

I guess it's also the people i identify with more.

Leave a comment:

• TrakFan
    replied

I generally prefer white middle class comedians because they tend to be more witty
    ...In your opinion

Leave a comment:

• Mikewats
    replied
    My most popular UK funny men are Russell Brand, Ricky Gervais, I like Michael McIntyre even though i havent seen much of him even though he's been on a lot of shows recently.Jonathan Ross is funny, but hit and miss, if the guest is a bit B-list he's a lot funnier. David Walliams i find funny on panel shows, david Mitchell is very funny as well, al murray has done a few funny stand-up shows. Jimmy Carr is a good presenter, his stand up is pretty poor though, absolutely no structure just gag after gag after gag.

I generally prefer white middle class comedians because they tend to be more witty and don't rely on race, gender or racism for all their humour. eg that omar bloke, the iranian woman, lenny henry(he's just an idiot) and even the scottish ones usually. Woman comedians just aren't funny, working class background comedians tend to be like roy chubby brown, jim davidson that have built themselves up from the working mens clubs and use terrible loutish jokes to get the crowd laughing and applauding.

There's a few that break the trend most noticeable Chris Rock, but he still bases a lot of his jokes around race.

Leave a comment:

• eldrick
    replied
    without doubt graham norton is the best hands down

however, he is a bit risque for main stream americano tv, but he's damn funny tv host

another one who'd do well is omid djalili, the self-proclaimed "number 1 stand-up comedian in iran" - check out his stand-up show on youtube - he's no richard pryor, but still very funny

Leave a comment:

• Mikewats
    replied
    I meant from a more British prospective, like i know the rest from British TV apart from him. I wiki'd him though and he's done a few things i recognise, but don't recognise him though. I'm guessing he's made it bigger in america than in britiain, like led zep.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied
    Still don't know who craig ferguson is though.
    He reminds me a little of Billy Connolly, although not as funny. It could just be the accent but I think he has a similar delivery too.

Leave a comment:

• Mikewats
    replied
    Just googled the others, it's who i expected them to be.

Still don't know who craig ferguson is though.

You should try and get Stephen Fry he's amazing, and he's as intelligent as his accent makes him sound.

Leave a comment:

• Mikewats
    replied
    I'm British and out of them James May is good, he stops top gear from being too silly and is actually the funniest out of the 3.

Cowell is good at what he does and is funny. Ramasay is a bit of an idiot, but goes over the top for the americans because they love people going over the top.

Jonathan Ross can be absolutely hilarious, doubt he will get away with saying what he does in the UK in the US of A.

Haven't really heard of the rest.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    I am not fascinated by a British accent. With my diminished hearing I have difficulty understanding women with high pitched voices, small children, whispers, foreign accents in any language..
    In fact, I seem to be deaf to any speech except well modulated, male baritone voices with an Oklahoma or Texas accent.

Leave a comment:

• scottmitchell74
    replied
    My wife and I have noticed this trend. Not a big fan. If they're good, sure, but many of these people are poor at what they do.

Leave a comment:

• nevetsllim
    replied
    Re: Rising Popularity of UK TV Hosts in USA

Originally posted by balzonia
    Are all of these guys hyper-popular in UK before making the jump to US television?
    Simon Cowell - can't stand him
    Nigel Lythgoe - never heard of him
    Gordon Ramsey - LOATHE him
    Jeremy Clarkson - ditto
    James May - never heard of him
    Richard Hammond - over-rated
    Marco Pierre White - never heard of him
    Piers Morgan - loathe him more than Ramsey
    Craig Ferguson - never heard of him

Leave a comment:

• TrackDaddy
    replied
    I think some Americans mistakenly associate certain foreign accents with intellect.

That, and they like how they sound... TV, music, movies, etc.

They become a novelty of sorts

It happens for a period during every generation until we become bored with it.

This isnt the first British invasion and it wont be the last.

Plus, unlike the french, y'all pretty much do whatever we tell you.

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman
    I am probably the least qualified person alive to be an arbiter on TV hosts but the only people on this list I have heard of are Cowell, Morgan and Ferguson
    Sorry, lonewolf. I win. I've heard of only Cowell and Ramsey (and the latter only as a restaurateur, not a TV host, assuming it's teh same person).
    You guys are extremely knowledgeable. I have never heard of any of them. Not feeling shame, either .

Leave a comment:

Working...
X